Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
So on the machine side I see one black and one brown wire going into the plug... I'm assuming the black wire is negative? Or do I need to find the ground for the switch somewhere else?

I guess I could get the volt meter out but I already came inside for the night.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would think that is a good assumption.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the accessory plug pins. Wired up both a rear (12”) and front (27”)led light bar with a dual switch harness from mictuning.com with 2 horizontal five pin rockers (https://www.ch4x4.com). They look and work great.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,464 Posts
If there is a main PD terminal bolt like vehicles have in their Power Distribution box that always best. It keeps the connect away from battery acid should there be leakage with age and clean connection always. I saw my main 40A fuses which are hanging strapped to other wire. LOL so I don't believe this is one on this vehicle and likely not on the X2 series as well. With the battery well back I am sure yet what the best connection method is going to be for add on accessory or full time circuit. I will add both once spring appears. As I will have an additional light out front, backup one added later and a lighter socket also added. Only the front light will be accessory controlled via a relay. The other two will be full time live.

I'd like to see and hear what othe 1st Gen owners have done pickup up main power. Its crowded under the hood as is accessing the blank front panel.

Reactions: atkbike

·
Registered
64 Posts
So if I’m reading this correctly, all those spare wires are for accessory power, but all go to the same fuse? I am installing a winch ( main power should be from battery I assume) rocker switch is ok to hook to one of these wires, along with a stereo and 19 inch LED bar ( different wires for each of course, and all on rocker switches) or am I going to be blowing fuses all the time?

·
Registered
213 Posts
So if I’m reading this correctly, all those spare wires are for accessory power, but all go to the same fuse? I am installing a winch ( main power should be from battery I assume) rocker switch is ok to hook to one of these wires, along with a stereo and 19 inch LED bar ( different wires for each of course, and all on rocker switches) or am I going to be blowing fuses all the time?
Each of those spares you tap into should only energize a relay for each accessory you add, so the current draw is minimal on the accessory power.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I went to my dealer today looking for the 5KM harness. I didn't realize it was made to mount in-line. I can't believe Yamaha put all those accessory leads under the dash and don't make a 2 pin plug with 6-12" of wire to hook onto. I'm not interested in buying the pins & tool to make my own. I'll just go straight to the battery as i always have. As a side note, I replaced the connectors for the SSV footwell speakers in my Gen 1 with watertight connections. The OG connectors are actually a perfect match to the plugs under the dash on the x2.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,464 Posts
I haven't heard from any post if the GEN 1's have any accessory power leads or even a single one thats suitable to be used for relay activation. The lighter socket is not easy to access on a whim and I'd be looking for something in the existing exposed wired area.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Question, has any one on the new x2 found a source to used to back light rocker switches from the main head light switch. So if the headlights/parking light are off no backlighting and if headlights/parking lights are on the rocker switches back light is on. Thanks

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I just picked up 3 of them Yesterday!
IMG_1232.JPG

Reactions: Chuggy500

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was going to start a new thread but figured it would be more appropriate to add to this one.

All Yamaha's have a blank connector to keep dirt out of the additional accessory plug. Now if you have an older model, it may make sense to buy the splitter part but us X4 owners have plenty of plugs already (there are at least 6):

You can take that blank plug and buy the pins necessary to convert it to a harness. The male connector (plastic part) uses female pins and the female connector uses male pins (I know pretty confusing). The blanks are FEmale, so we need male pins.

You can get them here, which also has option for 2 different wire gauge sizes:

Male https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=227 (these are what you need for the blanks already provided)

You could also just Google Sumitomo p/n 1500-0105 (male).

Don't forget to order seals as well: https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=351

For under 10 bucks you could get the pin connectors for all your accessory plugs

UPDATE: Received my parts from Corsa. I had ordered the wrong pins (female) and they exchanged them for the male pins as well as combined my shipping

On the right you can see the blank plug which requires male pins:

I ordered two wire gauge sizes:

Simple to crimp on, make sure you bend over the tabs closest to the end as well or the pin won't engage the locking tab:

Ready to go, I only needed the positive lead:

If you're doing reverse lights you'll need the female sockets:

https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=226&category_id=111
i think i have the proper crimp tool. does anyone know how to use them properly. i did see a youtube video of a similar connector but buddy was just winging it. and i'm just guessing and my crimps don't look 100 %. not like i have a bunch of connectors to practice wit ( should have ordered more, they are cheap enough)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was going to start a new thread but figured it would be more appropriate to add to this one.

All Yamaha's have a blank connector to keep dirt out of the additional accessory plug. Now if you have an older model, it may make sense to buy the splitter part but us X4 owners have plenty of plugs already (there are at least 6):

You can take that blank plug and buy the pins necessary to convert it to a harness. The male connector (plastic part) uses female pins and the female connector uses male pins (I know pretty confusing). The blanks are FEmale, so we need male pins.

Male https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=227 (these are what you need for the blanks already provided)

Don't forget to order seals as well: https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=351

For under 10 bucks you could get the pin connectors for all your accessory plugs

UPDATE: Received my parts from Corsa. I had ordered the wrong pins (female) and they exchanged them for the male pins as well as combined my shipping

Simple to crimp on, make sure you bend over the tabs closest to the end as well or the pin won't engage the locking tab:

Did you order the blank female plugs too, or is that what the seals are for? Sorry if i seem clueless, ive never done this before.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
I made the mistake of ordering the female pins initially and glad I did since the rear backup light harness blanks use them. The seals are just that, seals for male or female pins. The rear backup blank plug comes with a male harness that needs female pins just like the standard accessory male harness comes with a blank female plug

Standard accessory harness under from cowl: Power is male plastic harness supplied with blank female plug which requires male pins and seals from Corsa.
Rear backup harness: Power is female plastic harness supplied with a blank male plug which requires female pins and seals from Corsa.

Reactions: KeithStone76

·
Registered
232 Posts
I made the mistake of ordering the female pins initially and glad I did since the rear backup light harness blanks use them. The seals are just that, seals for male or female pins. The rear backup blank plug comes with a male harness that needs female pins just like the standard accessory male harness comes with a blank female plug

Standard accessory harness under from cowl: Power is male plastic harness supplied with blank female plug which requires male pins and seals from Corsa.
Rear backup harness: Power is female plastic harness supplied with a blank male plug which requires female pins and seals from Corsa.
Thanks! I've got the X2 so I already have the back-up lights but I am wanting to add more lights and USB ports. After I looked again and thought about it over night, it does make sense. This is my first sidexside and I'm enjoying tinkering with it. I can see why people say it becomes an addiction!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
The leads rock! made wiring the winch very simple!

·
Registered
232 Posts

I wired up a few switches today. The switches are backlit from Mictunning. The male plugs and seals are pretty slick. It took me a second to figure out how the wire was supposed to be crimped on, but I figured it out. At least everything appears to be working ok. I also used 3-way barrel crimps for the ground. Pretty pleased with it all and looks halfway professional!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wired up a few switches today. The switches are backlit from Mictunning. The male plugs and seals are pretty slick. It took me a second to figure out how the wire was supposed to be crimped on, but I figured it out. At least everything appears to be working ok. I also used 3-way barrel crimps for the ground. Pretty pleased with it all and looks halfway professional!

Congrats on wiring it up

But,

We like pics.

Reactions: KeithStone76

·
Registered
59 Posts
i hooked my garmin gps directly to these plugs. and i was planning to hook my usb charging ports and led dome light directly too ( as in no relay ). am planning on installing a fuse for each plug in case of a short or any other issue that could take out all my plugs ( hate to lose my GPS while in the woods because of a short in my dome light. )
i would check my amp draw but my amp meter is for ac amps only.
i would assume i should have no issues with wiring that stuff without a relay??

21 - 40 of 76 Posts