Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
What's the best way to splice it? Solder it or get one of those crimp gizmo's?
I solder, or strip away the insulation, take a point (like a small screw driver) and push through the exposed wire making a hole. I then twist the wire being spliced, push it through the hole, squeeze it with pliers and twist it around the wire where the hole was.. Then use black tape and zip ties to ensure it's a solid connection.

Like this, pic 180810d1327681469-how-properly-splice-into-wire-without-cutting-splice8.jpg

Twist tight, wrap with black tape, put a small zip tie around black tape. It will never come apart.

·
Registered
87 Posts
There shouldn't be much belt replacement going on, if changing them is something that's happening even barely frequently, then there is a bigger issue than the belts.
I change my belts at 6,000 miles! Still don't like to have to do it!

·
Registered
456 Posts
At my age I am looking for something with all the amenities in a light duty utility. Like a dump bed, turf mode, tilt, EPS, and great handling and smooth riding suspension for semi spirited riding, and I thought maybe the Honda would work but my guess is the suspension is going to be typical utility type. It might be Honda's definition of sporty but to the average person that has driven something besides a Honda it would be typical utility suspension.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Viker,

I can tell you that the seating on the new one appears to be the same as the 700. It is great for lumbar support, but keeps you sitting in a very upright position. I have read post where people think that it is good on long rides because of the support. I personally did not like it because it keeps you so up and down. The backrest is too far forward and resting your head against the headrest is difficult. I don't know about the new one, and I never adjusted the suspension on my old one cause I only owned it for 80 miles before trading for a Wolverine. I would say it was better than my Rhino 660, but still threw you around pretty good on bumpy roads. My main complain with the Pioneer is the cabin is too small. Your right up on the wheel with little legroom. As far as dump bed, I was resistant to getting rid of the dump bed too and thought I needed one. You gotta ask yourself how often you really use it? I had the one in my Pioneer half full of dirt, and the shock couldn't raise it up for dumping because of the weight and had to rake it out the back anyway. You cannot argue Honda reliability, but Yamaha is on the same level too.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
That looks pretty good. Glad everyone is stepping up. I think Honda will come out with a sport one at some point. Then things will get really interesting.

·
Registered
388 Posts
dump beds are really irrelevant like Deeyoh said they wont really dump anything that has any weight. Now Yamaha shoulda put a regular tailgate on the wolverine IMO and i cant for the life of me figure out why they didn't just go ahead and do that, but even with out that it works for me and has far more positives than negatives.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Kinda think Yamaha did not put a regular tailgate and dump bed on a Wolverine because it's purpose was not designed as a full utility machine.It's pupose is a trail riding machine,the bed is for carrying supplies,not dirt or dead animals.Rhinos & Vikings are full utility machines for those purposes,but guys use them for other things.Last yr,saw a rzr 1k with a deer strapped in the bed &on the roof.In time will probably see a dead animal strapped to a YXZ.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I guess the tailgate would all depend on how you might use the bed. I sort of like the way it removes. Years ago when out hunting on the Honda 450 about half the time I would bring another hunting partner in sitting backwards on the back rack, could do the same on the Wolverine the way the tailgate removes easily. Granted you wouldn't be going a long distance or fast.

The only reason I would prefer the dump bed is to give easy quick access to the motor.

I wonder if price and/or new accessories incentives are coming out soon on the Wolverine, I saw yesterday where Abernathy's in Union City, TN reduced their price another $200 on the EPS model?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, it is hard to beat just reaching down and pushing the AWD switch to lock everything in or out. I use that switch a lot on tight trails going in and out of turf mode and AWD. It would be a hassle having to stop every time.
I find it interesting what bothers people. Stopping and shifting into diff lock is not an issue for me. I have been doing that for years on my Grizzly 700 EPS and don't mind it at all.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I did that back in my Jeep days and since I have owned Polaris vehicles with this push button feature for over 20 years I see no reason to go backwards. Just saying.

I have been waiting for a couple of years now for Yamaha and Honda to catch up on all those nice amenities. If you have never had turf mode it is not a big deal to you but once you have it you don't want to give it up. Same with tilt wheel. Yamaha didn't ante up and is not likely to ever. Honda kinda did except they lost their reliability while doing it so they were out, so I bought another Ranger. But I will be doing another evaluation if that so called legendary Polaris non reliability problem kicks in. I guess I have been mostly getting the good ones except for that one strike on my Ace, but Polaris took care of me no problem on that. But if I get one more strike I will be checking the Wolverine out again big time. Honestly, by the time I decided to make the change all the good deals on the Wolverines were gone. Otherwise I would be driving a Wolverine.
But the Ranger is a nice rig. Not much bad to say about it and it is more versatile.

They are all a compromise. You just have to make your choices and go on.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts