Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda Announces 2016 Pioneer 1000

Brand-new model to round out 2016 Pioneer multipurpose SxS lineup

TORRANCE, Calif. (June 11, 2015) — Honda today announced the addition of two brand-new full-size side-by-side models–the groundbreaking Pioneer 1000 and Pioneer 1000-5–to its 2016 lineup. With class-leading displacement and payload, a 6-speed fully automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and a full list of features and options, the flagship Pioneer 1000 promises to raise the bar in terms of power, performance and capability in both work and recreation applications.

“We’re very excited about the all-new 999cc engine we’ve developed for these new Pioneers,” said Lee Edmunds, Manager of Motorcycle Marketing Communications at American Honda. “We’ve also added the industry’s only fully automatic mechanical transmission–the 6-speed Dual Clutch Transmission. With steel gears, the DCT offers true engine braking, seamless shifting and a smooth, reliable transfer of power.”

More information can be found here: Honda Announces 2016 Pioneer 1000

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I will be interested to see some suspension numbers...

EDIT:

Just watched
...what a joke. The guy sounds like a retard reading a script written by... a retard. So 10.5" front travel, 10" rear travel...OK fine, not what I would expect for a 1000cc machine, but it also looks like a damned utility machine too. If I was a HONDA nut, I would be straight pissed. What a disappointment. Not to mention you have to be completely stopped to go in and out of 4wd...wtf. Makes me love my Yamahas that much more!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a BIG improvement for the Pioneer platform. This machine is definitely a work machine, but they now have an engine and transmission to carry into the Sport SxS world.

·
Registered
388 Posts
turf mode, eps, low range, big bore engine, honda is listening to people it looks like may not be a perfect bike but which one is? looks like they made a lot of improvements imo. wonder what kinda hp it puts out. top speed. Price tag.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I dont think its a joke at all, in retrospect its very innovative. Every single Ranger owner thats ever burnt a belt up and uses there machines for work are going to want this machine. Or anyone who loves Honda (there are a billion) will want it. I agree its not for everybody but this thing will sell like hot cakes and its taken UTV transmissions to a whole new level. I personally think its great and can be used for many different types of riding/work.

·
Registered
575 Posts
To be completely honest before I found out about the wolverine, my first choice was the maverick maxx, second the 2015 rzr 900 4, and the pioneer 4.

The maverick is expensive but was more comfortable to me, and seeing tons of pre 15 rzr on the side of trails with broken ball joints it was my first choice.

The rzr 900 4 (2015) has fixed, so they say the belt heat, and ball joint problem. So that was cheaper 17,500, and more trail friendly being the A arm design, opposed to the trailing arm. The cabin is cramped in the front, my knee started hurting just sitting in it. The only way at 5'10 , I can fit in the rear was to have the seat all the way back and my knee was scary close to the rear grab bar.

The honda pioneer 4 was cost effective, the most reliable, plenty of room front and rear. The biggest thing that bothered me was the 3 speed transmission, and super low horsepower. That was probably the only reason I hadn't made a purchase.

I understand that gear ratio can amplify the power and reviews said the 700 has tractor like torque. The 3 speed limited that as well as the top speed.The new 1k with 6 speed seems brilliant if you're not looking for a sport model. The fact there is a secondary transmission, which I assume is the ability to switch between 2 gears on the trans output shaft theoretically gives you 12 forward gears. I see no reason a person couldn't stick on 30in tires and go climb rocks, or add 32's and go park in a mud pit and not just drive out. Add to that the addition off 3 more gears there top speed can be phenomenal. Most cars these days still have 6 speed transmission, and don't have a high low gear box.

Another stand out feature it's the paddle shifter and the 3 shift models, same as most high dollar automobiles. You can put in manual, low, and crawl rocks or mud in 1st, and 2nd gear.

Only down side is the pioneer is huge, it looks bad ass, and proportionate, but it makes the wolverine look like a golf cart.

Now add seating for 5. Wow

Honda reliability
Seating for 5
Manual or auto
Low and high range
1000cc displacement
Great suspension travel for a more utility based utv

And likely a friendly price tag.. I call it a win..

Would I get it over the wolverine....
Nah, after driving the wolverine and a few others I don't think much of any in the market touch it in terms of trail ability , comfort or handling..

Had I not spent time on the wolverine, considering I really want seating for 4, this would be super high on my list.. that's my 2¢

·
Registered
718 Posts
Looks to be a pretty decent machine (like you'd expect anything else from Honda), and should offer some competition to the Ranger and Viking, but doesn't appeal to me. For what I wanted, I found the perfect machine.

·
Banned
504 Posts
Pioneer forum is saying $14,000 for the 3 seat base model.
no resi shocks, no eps, bench seat, cheap tires, no top
I can buy a Wolverine eps otd for $12,000

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was also a honda guy for years, and owned their sport bikes and ATV's. My first UTV was a rhino and I loved it. But being a honda fan, when I the Pioneer came out I had to switch back. It was a pretty big disappointment. It is has a speed limiter in the low 40 mph range. A single disk on the rear, and it is on the driveshaft. I have to tow my trailer up a pretty steep hill in the backyard, and the atv trailer up the mountain. It is hard to be confident in that situation with no low range. The cabin is small and there is one a glovebox for storage. The sides of the bed and the tailgate are pretty flimsy plastic. When I was pushing mine from behind onto a trailer as somebody drove it, the tailgate caved in. There are not a lot of aftermarket accessories for the Pioneer either. It would be good if you had a small farm or light off roading, but there is nothing sporty about it and it lacks the stuff you want for extended riding.
I looks like they made up for some of the flaws with this new machine. They might as well discontinue the 700 model and just sell the 1000.
The beauty of the wolverine is it is right between sport and utility where just about every other machine is on one end or the other.

·
Super Moderator
462 Posts
The Wolvy is good for what it was designed to do, but this new Honda is going to be big as far as sales compared to the Wolverine. It has some things the Wolverine
should have had like turf mode and tilt wheel and a big TWIN. But the market the Honda is aimed at is lots larger than the trail rider market and it will also steal some sales from the Wolverine, but all the other utility/recreational manufacturers are going to have to step up.
Turf mode is one of the biggies, and you can tell that by the significance Honda gives it in the promotional material, even naming it 'turf' mode like Polaris. If you have never had turf mode you probably won't see the big deal, but to those that have used it for a while it is not something most want to do without.
Honda has jumped ahead of Yamaha as far as knowing what the American consumer wants and it will sell big.
Of course Yamaha can always surprise us just like Honda did.

BIG TWIN, tilt wheel, turf mode.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I still stand by my statement. Turf mode is of no use to me. I could take or leave the tilt wheel. And the big twin? It's still a Honda...which is even more conservative than Yamaha, so it will make what, 60hp? That machine is huge and awkward. I have no desire for extra seating, that's just extra weight in my opinion. This machine is geared so heavily towards utility I can't imagine it taking ANY sales from the wolverine. This is going to be far more comparable to the viking series, from which it will DEFINITELY steal sales. The Viking needs to step it up to compete with this new pioneer. I agree, for a pure utility based machine, its great. But I would never want to take it trail riding. I think there is going to be heavy sales in this on farms and pipeline maintenance type jobs, but again, not recreation. As for the paddle shifters, I drive one handed so I would absolutely hate them. But that is the great thing about America, I can buy a machine from anyone I want, and it won't be Honda lol. As an aside, yamaha patented a turf mode already, I read the patent documents earlier this year. So, maybe those of you that like that feature will see it soon.

·
Banned
504 Posts
The Wolvy is good for what it was designed to do, but this new Honda is going to be big as far as sales compared to the Wolverine. It has some things the Wolverine
should have had like turf mode and tilt wheel and a big TWIN. But the market the Honda is aimed at is lots larger than the trail rider market and it will also steal some sales from the Wolverine, but all the other utility/recreational manufacturers are going to have to step up.
Turf mode is one of the biggies, and you can tell that by the significance Honda gives it in the promotional material, even naming it 'turf' mode like Polaris. If you have never had turf mode you probably won't see the big deal, but to those that have used it for a while it is not something most want to do without.
Honda has jumped ahead of Yamaha as far as knowing what the American consumer wants and it will sell big.
Of course Yamaha can always surprise us just like Honda did.

BIG TWIN, tilt wheel, turf mode.
To me, this model competes more with the Viking than the Wolverine. The twin and six speed are winners. Buyers are clamoring for that now. Tilt wheel should be on everything. The open rear diff. I don't care about but I have never had one, as you say.

·
Vendor
764 Posts
I dont think its a joke at all, in retrospect its very innovative. Every single Ranger owner thats ever burnt a belt up and uses there machines for work are going to want this machine. Or anyone who loves Honda (there are a billion) will want it. I agree its not for everybody but this thing will sell like hot cakes and its taken UTV transmissions to a whole new level. I personally think its great and can be used for many different types of riding/work.
There is a clutch system called the Duraclutch, we sell them for the Ranger's and RZR and you will never burn another belt

Polaris RZR XP 900, Polaris Ranger 800 - Duraclutches

Todd

·
Registered
347 Posts
$1200.00 is steep for some farmer/rancher/joe blow that bought a SxS and has happen what a lot of people do, break a belt , and if you dont break the belt it will still wear, just like any machines Yamaha or Polaris. What I was getting at is this Honda has NO BELT, read that again, no belt, which is amazing. That means you dont have to worry about a belt getting wet, you dont have to service the clutch, you dont have to worry about another wear item, you dont have to buy a $1200.00 clutch to "fix" a problem. Its genius. Plain and simple. I love my Wolverine but i have never been in love with CVT's ever, coming from my background of racing quads and riding dirtbikes my whole life I love to shift and this Pioneer gives you the best of both worlds, you can shift or go auto.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Didn't know burning/broken belts was an issue if you know how to drive. Replacing a 100.00 belt every 5-6k miles or more is not even worth mentioning IMO.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Didn't know burning/broken belts was an issue if you know how to drive. Replacing a 100.00 belt every 5-6k miles or more is not even worth mentioning IMO.
Unfortunately if you dont have a Yamaha a belt doesn't last that long, and unfortunately there are a lot of people who dont know how to drive.

·
Registered
575 Posts
All said and done I think the new pioneer are amazing. It's got essentially a sports car (Porsche/Audi) style trans, auto, sport, and manual.

If it makes 60hp that's cool.. That's twice what the 700 pioneer makes. Is it a trail beast, no! will it be as nimble, or as comfortable as a wolverine.. Nope..

But what you will get is honda reliability, a decent ride, a very capable off road machine that will let you take 5 people down a trail, in the wheel base of a 2/3 seater. I can tell you I ride with a ranger and the wolverine is as about as wide as the xp900 on 28in terminators and it fits where I fit.. That's something the longer wheel base utv can't. Now you can fit 5 people in the same area

I still think it's a win, no it's not as sporty as a wolverine r spec, but it wasn't designed to be, but if I wanted to haul 4 our 5 people into the mountains for the weekend the new Pioneer would be my vehicle of choice... As of right now..

Side note wolverine isn't going anywhere for a while. This wolverine is just to damn awesome.. But when you look at the non r spec models, I just smh.. It losses a lot that makes the wolverine what it is..

·
Registered
211 Posts
To me, this model competes more with the Viking than the Wolverine. The twin and six speed are winners. Buyers are clamoring for that now. Tilt wheel should be on everything. The open rear diff. I don't care about but I have never had one, as you say.
I agree, this was not meant to compete with something like wolverine. It is meant to play against the viking and viking 6. If you look at the seating, it is still going to suffer from the uncomfortable seating that the 700 has. To close to the wheel with that crappy bench. The viking has the individual seating with more legroom.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts