Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Definitely agree. Absolutely love our Wolverines and yes it would make an incredible 2nd machine. We'll just have to live vicariously through Deeyoh.

·
November WOTM Winner!
878 Posts
I like it. Just don't thinks it's the best option. The wolverine is by far the better option.. But I'd like to own one as a second rig.
I'd have to agree. While I think it fills a demand it's not for me, glad I didn't wait on buying a SXS for this. Guess my mind is made up now, keeping the wolverine and installing a sheave this winter

·
Registered
113 Posts
It is a YXZ not a ZYX.I really like it,but will wait about 6-8 months,see what happens.It is the new thing,hopefully & probably will be excellent since it is a Yamaha.In the past the xp900 was the thing,bought one,was a big steamin pile,then the xp1k was the thing,bought one,was another big steamin pile.It looks like it will probably be excellent in the sand & straightaways for the sand guys,but did not see any vids of it in the woods on trails or going through mud holes.We play with 2.5&5 ton trucks & jeeps,If they send me one,would be glad to test it for them.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just like everyone else in this post I'll be keeping my wolverine that machine wouldn't work where we ride in wv . And trail riding at hatfields. ..As best of all my wolverine is loaded up with accessories now for about 10,000 less.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thought it was pretty ugly at first and did not like the rear fenders.... However, after watching the video, and it grew on me pretty quick. Totally badass!

But, like everyone else has said so far. The Wolverine is the machine for me.

IMO, with the addition of the YXZ, the Yamaha lineup just left the other manufacturers in the dust.

·
Super Moderator
468 Posts
It is beginning to grow on me. A really nice rig really overall except for its big selling point that is also going to be the thing that will limit sales drastically and that is the manual clutch and transmission.

I know, all the racer guys and wannabe racers, just like I was many years ago, will eat the manual up for a while, and then it will grow old for everyday use. And the lack of low range combined with only 5 speeds in the transmission is going to suck after a little bit of use on slow tight trails and steep rocky and rooted uphills even with a rekluse clutch. A slipper clutch only provides slip, not gear reduction, and with that combination of high gearing and slow speed comes heat and with 112 hp and 1500 pounds there is going to be lots of it in the clutch. Everyone hates a cvt seems like, but the lack of a low range is also going to be hated by lots of new YXZ owners after a while.

I guess it was intended just for western dunes and desert or other wide open fast riding areas but you know the eastern boys are going to want one too. The young can put up with lots of aggravation with their toys as long as they are flashy and loud and fast so maybe they will hang in there, but lots won't I am afraid.

Once more I am stumped by Yamaha, just like when they released the Wolverine, although the Wolvy is still at the top of my list for the next sxs in spite of its shortcomings.

But no, Yamaha hasn't left anyone in the dust IMO. Now if they had put a low range and auto clutch and shifting in there, then I might be inclined to agree. It almost seems to me like Yamaha wants to be exclusive in its product line by building vehicles to fill little niche markets rather than building to sell to the masses and large volume sales.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Turbo is already out..... Em west coast boys will buy them faster than they can make them. 155 hp @5 lbs of boost.with a possible 2-300 available off this engine is a no brainier in the sand. Add the rekluse clutch for the woods and rock crawling and you have five gears on the fly ...... Mannnnnn if I was twenty years younger!!! Bawhahaha

·
Registered
211 Posts
It is beginning to grow on me. A really nice rig really overall except for its big selling point that is also going to be the thing that will limit sales drastically and that is the manual clutch and transmission.

I know, all the racer guys and wannabe racers, just like I was many years ago, will eat the manual up for a while, and then it will grow old for everyday use. And the lack of low range combined with only 5 speeds in the transmission is going to suck after a little bit of use on slow tight trails and steep rocky and rooted uphills even with a rekluse clutch. A slipper clutch only provides slip, not gear reduction, and with that combination of high gearing and slow speed comes heat and with 112 hp and 1500 pounds there is going to be lots of it in the clutch. Everyone hates a cvt seems like, but the lack of a low range is also going to be hated by lots of new YXZ owners after a while.

I guess it was intended just for western dunes and desert or other wide open fast riding areas but you know the eastern boys are going to want one too. The young can put up with lots of aggravation with their toys as long as they are flashy and loud and fast so maybe they will hang in there, but lots won't I am afraid.

Once more I am stumped by Yamaha, just like when they released the Wolverine, although the Wolvy is still at the top of my list for the next sxs in spite of its shortcomings.

But no, Yamaha hasn't left anyone in the dust IMO. Now if they had put a low range and auto clutch and shifting in there, then I might be inclined to agree. It almost seems to me like Yamaha wants to be exclusive in its product line by building vehicles to fill little niche markets rather than building to sell to the masses and large volume sales.
You have to look at this machine and realize it is not built for slow tight trails, rocky and rooted uphills. It does not have arched A-arms like the Wolverine, it winds out at 12,000 RMP, and the stock windshield folds on top of the roof. The YXZ is designed to a racing machine in non-confined, non-technical spaces. The Wolverine already has the tight and technical spaces completely covered. This machine is pure sport and you cannot have that without a manual transmission, or a selectable auto. If would be like having an automatic in a Lamborghini, R1 Sportbike, etc. Consider that Honda does not have anything other than utility vehicles, Kawasaki only has the Teryx and Mule, Arctic Cat has a racer, and a copycat Rhino, and Can Am does not have a utility model, Yamaha is the only manufacturer that has each base covered. I guess Polaris does, but they are expensive and notoriously unreliable. Yamaha has everything covered individually. Utility, Sport, and the middle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holy hell. It is a badass ride. Does it come in camo and I am trying to picture it with two dead deer in the back. Nah.... I think my r spec camo is what fits me here in GA. However, if I wanted pure sport......What else even compares to this new Yamaha. If I was Polaris and can am I would be feeling pretty nervous right now. Yamaha definitely showed up to the party with their A game. It's like a GT3 SxS!!!!!

Hopefully between the 3 new vehicles they released they will start to take back some of the market.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts