Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I know they are two different machines in every way. I am a Yamaha fan also been very durable for me. I was going to see if anybody had both machines? I am a weekend rider I ride in ky woods most of the time but I love pushing my limits that's what catches my attention from the yxz I also may deer hunt from my machine and haul some gear which I don't see a problem with either if I can haul it on a quad I'm sure and sxs can hold it somewhere. How's both there durability been so far? And what's clutch and gearing for yxz cost? Also how is the wolverine as a sport/utility machine?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Deeyoh and gixxer7fifty are the only 2 on this board that I know of that have both. Maybe PM one of them if they don't see this.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Funny you mentioned this. I just got my YXZ transmission back from Tubeworks today and been out in the garage reinstalling it. Got the 70/30 gear reduction, carbon matrix clutch disks with the Rekluse. Total was about $2700 bucks with shipping. YXZ is a great trail machine for normal riding and going fast. It won't slow craw hills or go through deep mud well. Big mud tires on a stock YXZ are a big no no.. it'll burn the clutch up. Minimum speed for climbing is 6mph. Just not geared low enough for mud bogging/crawling. If you rode sport ATV's, it's basically the same thing. Lots of fun and fast.

The Wolverine is out of the box a much better crawler, hill climber, mudder. What I'm thinking of when riding the Wolverine is it makes the trails/hills easy mode. Not flashy but it'll go anywhere easily. Smooth ride and comfortable to cruise around all day long. Yeah, I sip a beer while cruising in the Wolverine normally :D

So, now that it's clear as mud. They are totally different machines and offer radically different experiences. YXZ is a drivers car and makes you feel like your in a manual trophy truck. It wraps around you and gives that connected feeling. Wolverine is an all day cruiser being comfortable and making riding trails easy.

Wolverine is great though for durability.. Have over 200 hours and only replace a torn CV axle boot that I did with the pressure washer. Those are hardest trail mud, creek, crawling hours.

YXZ seems to be holding up well but I wanted the lower gearing. Only have 500 miles on the YXZ so far and nothing has broken even the clutch was still stock when I sent it to Tubeworks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. It was pretty much what I expected now that you have it re geared how is it at crawling I don't crawl anything to difficult like rocks but sometimes hills that require a little fines I know it's a speed machine but the wife isn't like me lol. If it cruises in 1st with no problems I am probably going to buy the yxz. I just can't find any of my local dealers to let me test drive which is bull s##t. I'll probably be making the trip to Abernathy's to buy either one.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Been out riding all weekend. Tight trails, hills, rock climbs. The YXZ is simply beast mode now with the gear reduction. Awesome sport trail machine for sure. I'm so happy with it. At one point someone stopped at the top of a hill and I had to stop on the side looking up at the stars. Just gas'd it a little and it went right up with no effort at all. Have the rekluse so didn't need to feather the clutch or anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, got only a YXZ at the moment but thinking of a Wolverine for later down the road. What the sound level like driving both machines? Is the wolverine quiet enough to have a conversation?

Also, just to add. I had 62 miles on my machine prior to installing Rekluse this past Friday. What an enjoyable difference it made at taking it easy, coming to various starts and stops. Before I stalled it several times trying not to ride and burn up the clutch. Jumped in my cousins Rhino here & there, I definitely see the benefit in Wolverine where you just want to take it easy.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Put the regular tip back on the Wolverine and dang it's so quiet. Here's a vid of the Wolverine following the YXZ on last weekend night ride. I have a bunch more vids but still trying to edit out the stops for pee breaks. LOL As you can see the YXZ is now a crawler with the 70% first gear reduction.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Yep, I was out doing some accel and top speed test. Holy crap. Can't hold onto the camera when launching in 1st. The front comes up hard. LOL Top speed was only 66mph on the rev limiter. Definitely need 30" tires instead of the 27" bighorn 2.0's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Would y'all say the Wolverine is substantially quieter than the YXZ after installing tip back? I was out in my cousins Rhino, I really enjoyed driving it. More relaxed and calm obviously. The YXZ is on the loud side(tranny too) compared to the Rhino. Much more aggressive.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Yes, the Wolverine is quieter than the YXZ. Mainly from YXZ being able to rev to 10,500 rpm. Have stock exhaust tip back on the Wolverine and it's so quiet compared to YXZ with an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
My Wolverine with 2R tip is twice as loud as the YXZ. I took off the tip and installed a HMF muffler, still too loud. But awesome! LOL
Is the HMF quieter than the 2r tip? Haha, my Weller dual exhaust on the YXZ was super loud when I had it under water and the packing got wet. Took awhile to dry out while riding around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Not an option at the moment, but heavily considering joining the YXZ Wolverine Dual Owner Club. Later this year perhaps........(Finally got password reset, been trying for a few days!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.