Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for Deeyoh or any one that has the new Yamaha Yxz my good friend is wanting to buy immediately drove it with standard clutch and was wondering if preforms well in the trails or did you all find you need the upgraded recluse kit . bare in mind we are in WV with lots of rocks and trees. Any info would be appreciated. :cool:

·
Registered
388 Posts
what does the recluse clutch do??? I'm assuming the manual is just a clutch and some gears ever how many it is. What's different bout the recluse clutch?

·
Banned
420 Posts
Clutch is not used. You shift without pushing clutch. You can come to a stop and idle in any gear. These are used in a lot of racing 4 wheelers. Google it for more info.

Reactions: chief

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Does great on trails without the rekluse clutch. The rekluse is just a antistall device. Can leave it in 1st idling with the clutch out. It release the clutch just like the Wolverines centrifugal wet clutch. I still don't have mine put in yet. Only thing it is lacking is a low first gear for deep mud and taking off on a steep hill crawls. I've done both but it's more of a rev and dump the clutch. Best not to slip it, just let the power from the motor spin the tires.

I don't really care for crawling in it at all. Not what it's made for.. it's made to handle/haul ass and it does that extremely well. LOL Maybe in a year or so I'll turn it into a mud machine. Tubeworks has a 70% 1st gear reduction and 30% 2-5. That'll make 31 inch tires turn about 10mph at the 10,500 stock rev limiter. Crawling/mud gear for sure. Throw some 32's and go to town in the mud. Snorkling would be sooooo easy. Intake is almost my chest level anyway.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Big dog I read his posts over on hotrodforum.net as well as talked to him, he as well as others wasn't impressed with it. But thanks.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Ya. I have no experience but I here pretty much what Deeyoh said.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My buddy decided against the YXZ after all research on the clutch, tried to talk him into a wolverine but he wants more power, which is nuts cause I've been on his ass all summer because he couldn't get away from me in his 800 razor. One thing for sure he has had an ass full of working on that razor LOL. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Here's a good vid of one with a rekluse going through all kinds of terrain. It's pretty long and varied.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hay Deeyoh damn great video and answer's a lot of questions thanks for posting it I'll have Greg watch it. :cool:

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
I was able to take a yxz for a drive last week which worked great in the open desert. It would climb some hills, but was unpleasant in the rocky hills, even with the slipper clutch. The Wolverine is key for that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well guys my buddy Greg watched the video that Deeyoh sent and pulled the trigger on the blue YXZ today were off to Hatfield's next weekend for the break in. were going to Rockhouse and bear wallow if anybody's close and want to meet up let me know its 14th 15th 16th. thanks for everybody's input. :cool:

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
We're heading down next week. When not yet determined. Prob aim for weekdays to avoid the crowds. How are those trails you mentioned for stock wolvies?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Absolutely perfect we ride them all the time. My wolverine is stock and have no trouble on any trail even blacks. You will enjoy the trail system
:cool: The trails will not be crouded even on the weekend.. there is a state lodge called Chief Logan lodge about 3 miles from Logan 4 star and the entire month of January all rooms are on special for $55..00 for at riders. We've stayed there before and staying there next week, very close to the two trail systems I mentioned.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hay Deeyoh my buddy's new YXZ got a real workout this weekend at Hatfield's it preformed beyond belief. He rode everything without effort with the standard clutch. As you know the ride is the best, and runs like a rocket ship. I drove it a couple of time and as much fun as the shifting was it would not be a machine for me. I just wish they would of put that engine in our wolverine's. BUT here is the thing my machine did unbelievable ,the wolverine is the best trail machine in the world.. It does need full doors in the worst way we looked like pig wrestler's instead of trail riders, now Greg's YXZ doors kept him clean ,now tell me why in the hell didn't they do the same for the wolverine????? :cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Think low doors are for more visibility. I find it really easy in tight trails, can watch the left front tire and see how close to a tree it is with the low door. In the YXZ, I'm kinda guessing or drive by feel. Yep, hit tree so need to go over more. LOL

It takes a few hours behind the wheel of a YXZ to fully appreciate it. The Rekluse clutch really helps on trails too just as an anti stall device. Cruising at 50 in the YXZ is comfortable and totally controllable. In the Wolverine, at 50 you really need to watch the terrain and be ready to slow. It's 2 totally different experiences.

As far as mud, I find it the opposite. The YXZ I'm fully covered in mud and in the Wolverine only a little on my left leg and arm. The tires throw the mud straight up in front of you in the YXZ then if you have some speed you drive right into it. It's strange, sometimes if I'm going fast enough in the YXZ mud goes somewhere else and not back at me. Really slow is ok, just slow cruise and it's thrown up.. fast seems to be ok but no matter what you drive you'll get some splatter going fast.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Trick is to not ride/slip the clutch at all. Think of it as a light switch.. you hold that sucker halfway and it'll fry. Much better to just dump and go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts