Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
There are a lot of true quality filter manufacturers. None would likely be a risk at all. Auto's use non oem all the time for those go to other than a dealer for an oil change. Never would they have an oem filter.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Clarification on my post #35 above. I found the sealing washer... it is a hybrid O-ring with a flat bottom and a round top like was pictured in the video. The flat is not very wide so I did not notice it when I picked it out of the filter base groove.

·
Registered
146 Posts
There are a lot of true quality filter manufacturers. None would likely be a risk at all. Auto's use non oem all the time for those go to other than a dealer for an oil change. Never would they have an oem filter.
Thats such an interesting comment and its true. Well, mostly true because most people have cars/trucks they dont care about as well. When you consider communities of automobiles where owners care deeply about their vehicles, you typically wont see the super cheap filter or oil either. Ill go out on a limb and say that probably most BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc owners that are “enthusiasts” will use OEM or equivalent filters. Ive owned mostly Toyota’s, Chevys and a few Audi’s and ive always used OEM filters on the Audi’s.

Anyway, just an observations I've had.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I’m surprised OEM doest get more of a shout out here. I get 3 packs of OEM filters for pretty cheap and thats all i’ll use.

Reactions: Hahny

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
I’m surprised OEM doest get more of a shout out here. I get 3 packs of OEM filters for pretty cheap and thats all i’ll use.
Well, what are you paying there? As much earlier above about $21 plus tax here. Other than fitting and maybe flow rate spec's there is little difference in any oil filter requirements but a huge difference in price. Some make them very poorly but little justification is charging some of the prices out there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've tried various Hi-Flow filters and I don't like any of them.
The oil was changed very early each time and it was way to dark to my liking.
My next filter will be Fram XG7317.
Fram? No way? I was a Fram guy until I went to a tool show and went to the NAPA booth where they had oil filters cut open. The Fram oil filters have cardboard ends on their element where as everyone else uses metal. That changed my mind and I never went back. I also went home and cut a Fram open just to see for myself and it was cardboard.

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Fram? No way? I was a Fram guy until I went to a tool show and went to the NAPA booth where they had oil filters cut open. The Fram oil filters have cardboard ends on their element where as everyone else uses metal. That changed my mind and I never went back. I also went home and cut a Fram open just to see for myself and it was cardboard.
How long ago?

Oh I know all about them, a buddy runs late model dirt track and was sponsored by Fram.
He kept blowing motors and narrowed it down to the filter.
That was 20+ years ago.

I feel the same way, but I have been talking to several engineers about filters and they seem to be back on the Fram Ultra band wagon now.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
Well they still sell the old Orange filter most of us will not touch. The others are a lot more costly. Wix is solid choice for one and I am sure others at reasonable prices.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Many filters will fit our machines, but not all are applicable.
Some filters application are vertical mount from underneath and hence, some do not have a drain back.
Since our units have a horizontal application, I would ensure that whatever filter you purchase has the anti-drain back for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Also if metal end caps on the filter media are important, do your research as many use a media there also.
IIRC, Honda A02 filters are media ends also, just to name one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
How long ago?

Oh I know all about them, a buddy runs late model dirt track and was sponsored by Fram.
He kept blowing motors and narrowed it down to the filter.
That was 20+ years ago.

I feel the same way, but I have been talking to several engineers about filters and they seem to be back on the Fram Ultra band wagon now.
It has been some time ago since that tool show and I was torn as I swore by Fram filters.Once I went home and cut one open and seen it for myself I was in disbelief. I then went to youtube and started watching videos on the topic and found a few guys cut many brands open so that one could make their own decisions on what was good or not. At that time,Fram was the only filter with cardboard ends and by luck when one was cut open it showed that the glue didn't even hold the end on (maybe a Monday or Friday job) which meant zero filtering.After that I was anti-Fram ever since. Now I have seen their new filters and have been thinking of buying one and cutting it open to see if anything changed in there. As for you saying that some manufactures have media in the ends,that is fine as long as the media stays put unlike that Fram I seen.

Reactions: Tripplec

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Right. Don't get me wrong, I've never bought a Fram filter and swore I never would.
However, like I said, some engineers have talked me into at least giving it some thought and even testing the Ultra.

I mainly run Bosch & Purolator on my autos.
Back in the day from Bob's oil page, I was going to give MAHLE a try, but IIRC, it was made in China.
I don't buy China for their lack of quality control.
To each their own.

·
Registered
972 Posts
The Fram Ultra Synthetic is a quality filter from everything I've seen and read.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I also have stopped buying many items from Amazon, including filters.
Amazon is flooded. China clone outlet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Right. Don't get me wrong, I've never bought a Fram filter and swore I never would.
However, like I said, some engineers have talked me into at least giving it some thought and even testing the Ultra.

I mainly run Bosch & Purolator on my autos.
Back in the day from Bob's oil page, I was going to give MAHLE a try, but IIRC, it was made in China.
I don't buy China for their lack of quality control.
To each their own.
When available here where I live,I used Purolator also for my car. Now that it is not available I use AC Delco for my car. For everything else I use Mobile one filters and oil because it is ready available at my local Walmart.
Next time I see these Fram Ultra filters on sale I may pick one up and take it home and cut it open to see if it is different.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
I also have stopped buying many items from Amazon, including filters.
Amazon is flooded. China clone outlet.
I read a article on MSN website that Amazon had dumped millions of product that was identified as cloned or such. Others sellers are using the major brand store website to flog their own products and you don't have the full protection of who you think you're buying from. Walmart, BestBuy are two others as well have marketplace sellers. You have to read the details of where or also who its coming from.

On Amazon I zero in on items that are Sold by and shipped by Amazon. Many other items are only shipped by...

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Yeah they dumped millions of products and some have already come right back rebranded under another name.
Fake Products and Fake Reviews, so buyer beware.
China will clone anything and everything and Amazon is their popular Marketplace.

When available here where I live,I used Purolator also for my car. Now that it is not available I use AC Delco for my car. For everything else I use Mobile one filters and oil because it is ready available at my local Walmart.
Next time I see these Fram Ultra filters on sale I may pick one up and take it home and cut it open to see if it is different.
IIRC, bobs oil page rated the Purolator pretty high. They did flow and filtration rate testing.
To me, that is as critical, if not more so than the filters construction.

Many youtubers have oil filter deconstruction videos, but flow & filtration of the filters cartridge's is never tested.

It's been a long time, but I may have to see if bob's oil page is still testing new filters.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
Flow is not something the great majority can test. Although given the micron rating it shouldn't vary too much. The tighter the filtration, more restriction but more pleats will reduce resistance to flow. As you've mention and I also stick to name brand filter manufacturing companies. Oil companies who put their name on a filter such as Quaker State here removes some of the risk the way I look at it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, what are you paying there? As much earlier above about $21 plus tax here. Other than fitting and maybe flow rate spec's there is little difference in any oil filter requirements but a huge difference in price. Some make them very poorly but little justification is charging some of the prices out there.
I just looked, I got 3 OEM filters from my local dealer for $35.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts