Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
The Fram XG7317 cross reference # comes up with 57356 & 57356XP.
Here is a pic of all Wix Filters cross reference information.
The Thread pitch is the same for all.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
51358 & 51358XP info.
Same thread size as the others.

Reactions: DirtRoadWarrior

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yama filter sounds pretty good EH.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
Yama filter sounds pretty good EH.
Yeah I am sure but at $21 here each I look for another name brand. They don't make their own filters so someone else is. I use the oem initially for warranty and base line performance of the engine. Then switched to the HiFlow.

·
Registered
Montana, USA
92 Posts
Reactions: Paul65

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Need to look at the filtration of the high flows as some allow larger particles to pass.
I know I'm not good with how the oil looked and I changed mine 4 times in 2600 miles.
That's why I'm switching myself.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
We're not putting near the mileage on oil designed/engineered for thousand more in Auto/Truck applications.

Colour has never been the benchmark of oil quality but as its more due to contaminants in it. They cannot be filtered out and excessive resistance to flow (finer filtration micro spec) can be more harmful to an engine.

Lubrication is key and enough of it being pumped around and throughout the engine. Most oil filter companies design or use filtration meeting acceptable spec's in the filtration. A partially plugged filter is worst than one screening 1% more particles as an example. IMO

At the rate we do oil changes in these engine (2400km in the 708 spec as an example) is a short time period and if changed warm to hot after running as it should. The particles still in the oil would be flushed out when draining. Its why I always took mine out for a run even doing a diff drain and fill as any metal would flow out.

Since the ability of the HF204RC is much easier to remove having struggle phenomenally with the Yamaha filter. I have no desire nor need to entertain Wix (who I really like) or other standard design.

@Shelley521 ... Your view is always enlightening. I read that on HiFlow site but various ways to get higher flow. EG. More pleats in filtration media equals more square inches of flow surface as well. Assuming they did that...I don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Usually high flow are race applications where more lubrication would be priority and filtration is sometimes lesser.
The general user doesn't push that extreme and contaminated oil can lead to wear.
Many racers rebuild their units and a bottle hone puts the cross hatch back.

I just know that I average 850 miles per oil change and I don't like what I saw with the K&N filter so I'll switch to something else now for sure.
Everyone's different. It's their machine, run whatever anyone wants.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,794 Posts
Would not compare others to K&N at all. I never liked any of their products especially Air Filters. That was not part of my perspective above nor to be compared to.

Cheers !!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Wix 51358 from Amazon for me. I’d be willing to bet the NAPA is the exact same filter made by Wix on the same line. They just change the paint color and the label.

Wix 51358XP is extended performance. I’ve used them several times. They used to be a couple of dollars more but now on Amazon they are double the price. I won’t extend my service schedule so there’s no point in paying twice as much.
I did a little search a few years ago on this..... The normal WIX is cellulose media with a 20 micron rating. The WIX X is synthetic media that is rated 30 micron. The extra large rating size in the X is suggested for synthetic oil which is typically not changed as frequently, so as it clogs with debris over a longer period then filtered flow will not be impeded to engine. So I personally choose the cellulose to get finer filtering and as I change the filter at least yearly it comes no where close to being used to capacity or challenging to its life span. Editorial: there is nothing wrong with cellulose media used as recommended. And yes it is cheaper but can do a better job properly used.
THREAD COMMENT:
I typically buy the Yamaha filter and if you have an extended warranty I would recommend the OEM so a dufus dealer would not get sidetracked on hanging up on this point in case of a claim. Furthermore, trying to save $5 a year for an oil filter on a $12K to $25K rig, does not seem to calculate as wisdom for me. Over a 10 year life span of unit maybe $50 to $100 is all you could save. We don't have these things to save money lol.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Hope you can translate Canadian.
BEWARE ---- ThIs video is TEN years old and I can testify that this Canadian Snowmobile stuff is not applicable to the ATV/UTV Yamaha filters that my two mid America local dealers have recently sold me for a GEN1 708. The filters I bought with Yamaha printed on them, look like the generic one in the video, but I have no knowledge of the filters on 850 or 1000 motors. The generic filter guts this Yamatech is comparing looks very similar to the one laying on my workbench in pieces that I cut apart a few months ago. It is a pleated cellulose media core with a nice silicone anti-drainback valve. Metal end cap and pressure relief valve is similar. The main difference is the sealing washer was a round O-ring shape in a groove on bottom of filter, neither of the sealing rings shown in video. But I appear to have discarded the O-ring. If any doubters, I will take some pics and post. Just FYI

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I also always buy the OEM filter and the part number for the Gen 1 is the same as for the Rmax. I assume all 3 models use the same filter!

Reactions: ST3675

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Hiflofiltro HF204RC Black Single Oil Filters Amazon.com: Hiflofiltro HF204RC Black Single Oil Filters: Automotive
Coming from Amazon and being cheap it makes me a little worried it’s a Chinese knock off. I can’t figure out how to order off the high flow site it would just be a lot easier to order from Amazon.
Why in the world would you risk your engine to save a couple of bucks on an oil filter? Which aside from quality oil is probably the MOST important replaceable item on your machine? If the internal filtering strata is crap (just like FRAM used several years ago) it will break up and plug up the oil flow-ways in the engine. FRAM changed their design but has never fully recovered from the BAD rep. Spend a couple extra bucks for a quality filter and save yourself a LOT of grief and MAJOR repair $$ down the road buddy.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Why in the world would you risk your engine to save a couple of bucks on an oil filter? Which aside from quality oil is probably the MOST important replaceable item on your machine? If the internal filtering strata is crap (just like FRAM used several years ago) it will break up and plug up the oil flow-ways in the engine. FRAM changed their design but has never fully recovered from the BAD rep. Spend a couple extra bucks for a quality filter and save yourself a LOT of grief and MAJOR repair $$ down the road buddy.
PS: Yamaha filters are NOT the best you can buy either. Check out YouTube video(s) on cutting filters open and make your choice accordingly.....or don’t. It’s your money.

·
Registered
2021 X2
4 Posts
Hiflofiltro HF204RC Black Single Oil Filters https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G6EHK02/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ATC1JJ7GCS7V238MVW4M
Coming from Amazon and being cheap it makes me a little worried it’s a Chinese knock off. I can’t figure out how to order off the high flow site it would just be a lot easier to order from Amazon.
Great filter but not sold by Amazon. Sold and delivered by Bikesnpawn. It is a Amazon Market place. Amazon sells them in a 2 pack for $19.25, do a new search and watch who sold by.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts