Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Administrator
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blue Wolverine X4 in stock at my local dealership with roof:

http://www.blackhillspowersports.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=4220445&p=2&make=yamaha&s=Price&d=A&vt=utility vehicle&fr=xAllInventory

Yamaha has 15% off on accessories until the 11th using 'VETERAN' coupon code, taking the front windshield and soft cab from $1250 down to $1063

Have possible buyer for my 2015 Viking.

Snow today is taunting me to get my butt in gear.

Only thing holding me back is fading hope that Yamaha will unleash the top speed limiter of 51 MPH.

We'll know this weekend if I'm a poser or not.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Looks sharp, jump!

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like a great deal. Looking forward to seeing your build. I think there is a lot of potential there.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride! I'm already looking forward to your review.

·
Registered
654 Posts
So where's the pictures and ride report. C'mon - you've already had it for a day! :cool:

·
Administrator
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks guys. They had a windshield in stock so I had them tack it on and they gave me the Veteran's Day discount, so $300 whereas it's normally $350. I think we got out at $17,500. We trailered it home and I haven't had a chance to drive it yet as I've been so busy with the new foal. Some pics and initial observations:

I'll figure out the stupid imgur emedding problem after dinner

The online pictures I've seen don't do the color justice.

Finally Yamaha has taken a cue from the competition and has a windshield that fits like a glove. The windshield was easy to install and has nice weatherstripping. It fits the top of the roof and bottom body work like a glove to minimize any air leaks. No more stupid pool noodles on my Yamaha bikes!

Lowered the rear passenger seatbelts mounts to the lower hole to avoid neck strangulation

You can do the front seatbelt anchors, but you'll have to buy the nuts to lock down the bolts as they're not welded on, btw, you should be able to do this on other Yamaha SxS models as well, I've done it on my Vikings

I noticed that the rear tailgate would rattle a bit. The tailgate and doors have bump stoppers but they're not tall enough to maintain constant contact and allow some play, resulting in rattle. Here you can see the rubber bumper stop and where it leaves an imprint on the tailgate near the strap anchor point

I had some adhesive foam insulation I put down. It's a little thick but it's all I had available

Nice and tight now, no vibrations. Rinse and repeat for the door stoppers. BTW, the tie-down anchor points. Why can't they put some at the top of the bed frame? Makes it hard to keep things in place when your bungee or strap slides under the item you're trying to secure because all the anchors are mounted at the base of the bed.

I suspect these channels could be used to insert a bed extender, but that's pure speculation:

I appreciate the flat dash, will make it easy to make a phone mount so I can easily follow my PDF map application in heads-up style

Passenger seat view. That bar makes a perfect mount for my camera and you can even see what's in the rear view mirror from the camera.

No blind spots with my wide-angle rear view mirror. I'll update when I install a soft cab.

Yamaha did a great job on noise isolation but even with the cover off, the engine is relatively quiet compared to the venerable single it replaced

Here's the location of the gearbox fluid dipstick, under the front passenger seat:

Would have been nice if the wet clutch used this same oil supply but oh well, I guess it's good to know the gears don't share the same oil as the engine like in previous models so proper gear fluid can be used, which probably will reduce wear as well as probably contributes to silencing gear whine.

I always like to keep my coolant overflow to the max line so it's easier to see if I'm losing any coolant. It's a PITA to fill the coolant overflow tank so I'll take a clear vinyl tube and run it through the battery\fuse compartment with a funnel to make filling easier:

I took my daughter on a ride yesterday and she loved the Wolvy X4. If you check my earlier YT videos, you can hear her crying when we get into the steep inclines\declines and rough stuff. She said she felt much better in the X4 because it's not wide open like the Viking. I guess it's similar to coddling a baby in a warm blanket. She felt safer being enclosed and having bolsters to keep her steady. We'll see if this holds true when we take her on the trails, but she actually said she can't wait to go on our next ride whereas she's usually asking to go to Mimi's house instead.

Post continued here:

http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/170-wolverine-x4-purchasing/18258-planets-alignment-about-bite-bullet-2.html#post191186

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Looks great, GO BLUE! Thanks for sharing some stuff we haven't seen before, it's always fun finding free fixes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good write up. Can't wait to hear more when you get it out & put it to work. Can you get a ground clearance measurement at the lowest point of the skid plate with the shocks at the factory setting? Congrats on the new toy & thanks for the info.

·
Administrator
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have video of me going to church on regular paved roads. You all don't want to see that do you? I'm having a conversation with myself just so you can hear what it's like at speed, but it's not on a trail so the tire noise is loud. 20-25 MPH on soft pack and you'll have no problems having a conversation. I also updated the original post.

·
Administrator
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
How slow can you go? About half the speed of a Viking in my experience. Why pull that lawnsweeper with your puny riding mower when you can do it in style with your $18K SxS? I purposely went as slow as I could this AM taking the garbage out (you're seeing the return trip to the house obviously). I know some use their Wolvies\Vikings to do low speed tasks such as spraying. Notice I'm going slow enough that the seat belt buzzer warning doesn't come on. It does come on at about 9 MPH.

OK, as my motto goes: "Step 1: Tear it apart"

Decided to dry lube the seat rails. How the bed looks with the seat backs removed

While we're on the rear seats. They rattle when you have no passengers and you go over bumps. Here's the problem\solution in both seat positions:

Removing the center tunnel cover isn't that hard, but the most difficult part is getting the front tab past the rocker-switch ledge (pull the front cover to the passenger side). You can see the sound proofing material

DS view of the naked beast:

PS view:

Where's the emergency brake? I bet like myself, no one noticed the lack of disk and caliper near the rear axle gearbox. Well Yamaha moved it mid-ship and it now engages all 4 wheels instead of just the rear.

We now have an evap canister for emissions and the gas vapor purge valve is also located here. We'll have to wait until summer to see if gas fumes become a problem, especially with a cab

Near the front of the tunnel you'll notice 2 tubes, the left is the CVT intake and the right is the engine intake. Pretty tight if you're thinking of running ducting from the radiator to the cab for heat

Another shot of the CVT intake as seen from the DS wheel well

The CVT intake ends up right behind the air filter. Should help keep the dust out of CVT system being so high and forward. The CVT exhaust is already picture in the first post and is lower than the intake. If it were as high as the CVT intake, you could go as deep as the bottom of the instrument display and not get water into the system. As it is right now, you can probably go as deep as the the rear passenger seats which is pretty good in my opinion. It should be really easy to snorkel the exhaust to match the intake height.

The X4's filter is much better than the engine-killing 708cc Wolvy\Viking's design. No air gaps here:

The lip of the bottom of the foam filter inserts into a paper element for even more filtration

I'm really not happy about the reuse of metal screws, you could theoretically leave them out and the pressure of the lid when secured should keep everything in place

At least they're smart enough to use plastic on the back side of the paper filter to hold on the mesh

The aftermarket won't be selling radiator mud guards as they're already included

It's the little things: Have you ever installed an accessory and have a nut or bolt fall into your floorboard drain hole and have to fish the thing out? Well now Yamaha supplies plugs so you don't have to teach your kids new cuss words. The rear footwells drain to the outside, it's too bad the font footwells don't share the same design but I'll still take the rubber plugs

When you do your oil changes, you need to drain 2 locations. The standard oil pan drain plug but first you drain the dry sump reservoir. The drain is conveniently located at the bottom of the reservoir in the DS rear wheel well but I'm a little concerned about a rock or branch breaking off that spigot.

Radiator dimensions are 14.5" tall and 18.5" wide

I'm hoping some of you Wolvy X2 owners can help me out. I need a snow plow and Warn is the only manufacturer making them right now for the X4. I'm wondering if the X4's frame dimensions are similar to the X2's

The outer frame width is 12" with each frame rail being 1" wide

Frame rail height is 2"

The front rail length from the bend is about 7.5"

I'd appreciate any X1 owners who could get the same dimensions for me

Part 3 here: https://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/170-wolverine-x4-purchasing/18258-planets-alignment-about-bite-bullet-2.html#post191474

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Great post Massive! I was checking out those radiator guards at the dealer, they are not a direct fit for a standard Wolverine, they are mounted to the X4 front plastics and are much different under there. You're finding many improvements that haven't been talked about before, thanks!

Hopefully someone can get those frame measurements soon for you, mine is put up in a dark storage shed for the winter, it's Grizzly plow season now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Now this is what I'm talking about! Now we're digging deep into this machine. All this information, all these measurements, and most importantly all these pictures/videos clarify so much for all of us who are on the fence about buying one. If I get one, I will definitely be snorkeling it first thing. You showing the location of the CVT intake/exhaust answers one of the questions I've been asking. Hopefully more X4 owners start posts like these. Keep up the good work Massive!

·
Administrator
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great post Massive! I was checking out those radiator guards at the dealer, they are not a direct fit for a standard Wolverine, they are mounted to the X4 front plastics and are much different under there. You're finding many improvements that haven't been talked about before, thanks!

Hopefully someone can get those frame measurements soon for you, mine is put up in a dark storage shed for the winter, it's Grizzly plow season now.
Just ordered a Denali plow from Motoalliance so I'll be the Guina pig. They're pretty sure it should work.

·
Administrator
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Center clearance front and rear is 11"

Side clearance increases to 13"

Like its 2-seat brother, front A-arms are arched

Notice where dirt isn't getting? Dirt on the hood is probably from backing up

1 - 20 of 154 Posts