Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Yamaha SSV Stereo Worth it or not?

18K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  therebel19 
#1 ·
I've got a base model RMAX that I plan on adding a stereo to. Is the SSV stereo from Yamaha worth the coin or not? I like the seamless plug and play install and how everything would be factory but I want to make sure the sound quality is good.

#3 ·
Hopefully some of the LE owners will chime in on this one, because I would like to know myself.

#4 ·
I already made a thread about this, for ease of installation and quality it is excellent. I got mine discounted from a local dealer. The sound is good for regular trail riding etc. If you are full throttle all the time though it doesnt quite put out enough sound. I am happy with the purchase. Both of mine have the factory Yamaha systems.

Reactions: Ds19 and Hahny
#8 ·
Good deal!

#7 ·
I have both the SSV stereo and subwoofer installed in my X2: the sound is excellent but I would not buy the sub again. Mine lasted about a month before shorting out due to water (go figure when it is installed under a seat!) Can't comment on reception as I use mine bluetooth from my phone.

John

Reactions: Hahny
#9 ·
I'm sorry to hear that about the subwoofer. That really blows!

#11 ·
I installed it in my standard model and love it. 100% better than the bluetooth speaker I ran for years. LOL. There is a "LOUD" option in the menu that when turned on increases the sound output to a level that is way better than without it. Oh ya my FM seems to work just fine.

Reactions: TN_Max and Hahny
#14 ·
You may be on to something there. I live a rural area in Utah where we don't have a lot of stations either. I seem to get them in no problem though.

#13 ·
Worth over $700 for essentially a Bluetooth receiver and 2 speakers? Maybe... I bought it for my XTR and really just bought it for the ease of it being in stock at my dealer and I could have it installed in a few hours for a ride the next day.

I do like the door speakers along with the factory look but if I had more time to invest I believe I could have spent the same $$ and had a lot better setup.

My FM reception is nada and I guess that is my biggest gripe even though mostly my wife is playing crap music off her phone I would like the option of just tuning to a local station when I'm going on a Beer run.

I believe the reception issues are due to detective units. I get absolutely nothing at all as if the antenna doesn't even exist.

#16 ·
I have the full setup , extra speakers and sub.
I think it sounds awesome, and super loud. Very happy I spent the money. I also get zero radio reception in a area with a station on every setting.

#23 ·
I bought the SSV stereo for my X2, and bought just a standard AM/FM wire antenna and mounted to the side rollbar. I get plenty of FM stations when I don't have cell service to stream music. Its not as loud as I want, but still works for some tunes.

Reactions: Desertdweller67
#24 ·
well as far as my two cents. I just have the door speakers , fit , finish , ease of installation all a 9.5. As far as sound quality I would give it 5 or 6 . Its loud at a stand still but even playing with the equalizer its pretty flat as far as sound quality. for the money I wish I would have waited and researched different options. Of course it really depends on what you are looking for . If you want to be the guy that plays music for everyone on the ride then this aint the way to go. But if you just like to hear music hanging out by a pond not bad everything fits in its place and it looks factory. Just a note I got a bar made for my RMAX 2 that attaches to the roll cage that hold tower speakers. A company out of Louisiana makes it apparently I might have been the first for the RMAX. I havent figured out my speaker set up yet but this gives me a whole lot of options . Gives you something to think about

#26 ·
I know I've said this before, and though it may not be of any concern to many. I think it's worth repeating, OEM Factory upgrades "typically" hold more value during a resale , than aftermarket ones do.
If you are taking this from a "held value" perspective.

I do agree , aftermarket can be more cost effective vrs the SSV setup , just as good , and likely negate the OEM value in this instance.

#27 ·
Base RMAX 4, I install the SSV stereo, door speaker, and overhead speakers. Install was very easy, plug and play. I like the fact that it’s looks factory. Sounds great! There will always be better out there. To find the stereo and door speaker I email the Yamaha vendor on Ebay and he gave me a list of places that had them in stock. The list as slim but was able to get it shipped to CA in a week last month.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.