Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one had any experience with the Yamaha aluminum skid plates and A arm protectors.
Wondering on the quality and ease of install. How is the thickness?

Thanks- Sean

·
Registered
385 Posts
I put the front and rear a arm guards on mine and I think there great no problem to install or clean after a muddy ride. I posted pics of how they look check it out on pics and videos threads you will have to look through them as it was posted some time ago, or click on me and check out my pics of my wolverine on my album. :cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
The A-arm guards are good but the Yamaha Wolverine skid plate set is the best I have seen. Its a 5 piece set that covers everything and very easy to install.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just curious what is wrong with the original skid plates that come with this? Why add additional skid plates over exsiting skid plates?

A-arms I can totally see the beneifits.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Right.... By adding a skid over a skid is just adding extra weight and I really don't see any benefit. Fools and their money are soon parted. Just like floor matts.. IMHO

·
Registered
20 Posts
I busted my front plastic skid, thinking it happened when I hit a big chunk of ice. The plastic skid has an indent that is right in front of the cross-member, so it is pretty much doomed from the get go. I fabbed up a piece of steel and bolted it on, just as more of a deflector than anything else.
Skid damage.jpg Steel skid 001.jpg Steel skid 002.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right.... By adding a skid over a skid is just adding extra weight and I really don't see any benefit. Fools and their money are soon parted. Just like floor matts.. IMHO
If you rock crawl or cross trees that hang you up you will smash up the stock welded on skid plates. There is no pounding them out, they are welded on. If you have a skid plate over them it increases protection, strength and resale.
I look at the stock skids as part of the frame, and I want to protect it. Look at some of the old Rhinos that have been thrashed in the rocks and it is not pretty. They have the same welded on plates on a Wolverine.
If you are just going to mud your machine, stock is fine.

Sean

·
Registered
124 Posts
Those aluminum front bash plates are a good investment. I busted the factory one off of my Rhino and replaced it with the PRM aluminum and never had any more issues.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
anyone have the skids and what do you think? i had some ricochets on my grizzly they worked well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Talked to the dealer yesterday about the skids from the factory. They thought around an 1/8th " thick, but did not know for sure.
They did say that no drilling is required.
The Ricochets I had on my Rhino were 3/16". You had to drill quite a few holes. Nice stuff though.
I talked to the guys at Ricochet yesterday and they do not make a set for the Wolverine yet. If they can get a Wolverine they would do it next.
So if some one around UT wants a good deal on some skids give them a call.

Sean

·
Registered
113 Posts
Have the factory aluminum skids,are very nice,easy to install,much more protection underneath,no holes to drill.As someone mentioned earlier,going over rocks & trees,once the factory welded on skids get dented,bowed,big fun to fix...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have the factory aluminum skids,are very nice,easy to install,much more protection underneath,no holes to drill.As someone mentioned earlier,going over rocks & trees,once the factory welded on skids get dented,bowed,big fun to fix...
How thick of metal would you say they are?

Sean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Went ahead and bought the factory skid plates. They are pretty nice for the riding we do. The oil drains for the front and rear difs are not drilled out.
Also the only holes in the big skid is for the engine drain and there is one other hole to access a bolt. There are no holes to reach the airtubes drains
if you swamp the machine. You would have to cut those out or remove the skid to access those. They are not as tough of skid plates as the Ricochets
I had on my Rhino, but they are alot easier to install and I think they will hold up fine. The only place they may have trouble is in extreme rock crawling.

Sean

1 - 20 of 48 Posts