Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,652 Posts
Maybe some satin clear coat over the vinyl lettering might keep it on?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Whether you are painting them on or using a vinyl decal,you first have to clean the plastic with alcohol. This takes off the mold release agents that is on the plastic. Second,use a gray scuff pad and lightly scuff the plastic till it is de-glossed.Clean with alcohol again. At this point if you are using vinyl,apply it. If you are going to paint it now you have to use a adhesion promoter (NAPA 6246,light coat is all it needs) and then paint. Avoid making a heavy film build. There are also bomb cans out there that are made for plastic with the adhesion promoter already in it. But the biggest thing is the prep and cleaning. If you don't do it you will be wasting your time.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I used the cheaper version and all I did was clean with denatured alcohol.
It was a nice Summer day so they got to set in the Sun.
I don't even think about them being vinyl when I'm pressure washing, they just stay on.

It is however time to remove all the OEM stickers. All the edges are rolling up and it looks like crap.

Reactions: therebel19

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It’s on the tailgate it not really going to get scraped on anything or get chips for that matter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nothing will hold against being scraped up against something,not even the plastic.

Reactions: atkbike

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
268 Posts
I bought some gold paint to do my lettering and my rear bumper...and have never gotten around to it yet. My wife has one of those vinyl cricut machines and I might have her make me some vinyl letters. But not gonna lie...pretty far down on the priority list right now...

·
Registered
61 Posts
My wife has a cricut she was unsure if she could make the letters exactly the same as they are on the tailgate. I guess now we know.
Didn’t do it on a Cricut machine, I overlayed a rectangular piece of vinyl, used a ruler and exacto knife to cut it by hand, pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My wife has a cricut she was unsure if she could make the letters exactly the same as they are on the tailgate. I guess now we know.
I have a vinyl cutter and i tried but could not get the font right so I just painted it.

Reactions: atkbike
21 - 32 of 32 Posts