Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

X4 wheels & tires

78K views 86 replies 45 participants last post by  Tomoc1 
#1 ·
Figured we needed a general wheel & tire thread. Post pictures of your aftermarket wheels & tires. If your tires are larger than stock, maybe post some pictures of of the fender clearances. If your wheels have different back spacing, how much wider did it make your machine. If you've put some miles on your new tires, maybe give a review on how they're performing. Etc...

#2 ·
Here are my 14x7 MSA Vibe and GBC Mongrels. Went 28x10 all around. Wheels are a 5+2 offset. The factory fronts run 29.7lbs while the rears are 34.2lbs. The new set up is 46lbs per corner.

Attachments

#4 ·
They look great. What is the wheel offset? I have the same special edition. Since you have pulled off you stock wheels do you happen to know the stock wheel offset as well?

#5 ·
Where did you find that wheel in a 5+2 offset? Ive been looking around and even on MSA's website I can only find a 3.5+3.5 offset in the 4x110 lug pattern we have on our X4's. I wouldn't fit on my trailer with a 3.5+3.5 offset.

#6 ·
Well I bought my new wheels last night. I purchased a set of STI HD7 14X7 5+2 offset in radiant red. I paid $305.96 shipped from discountutvtires.com. They were on sale and they had a 10% coupon code for memorial day. Not bad I think. I cant wait to get them. Just need to decide on tires now.

Reactions: Ripping Robert
#7 · (Edited)
Ok everybody I finally pulled the trigger a couple days ago on new tires for the wheels I bought almost 2 months ago. I know I said in other threads that I wanted STI Chicanes but decided to try something different. I picked up a set of 28X10X14 Gladiator ATR's. They should be here Tuesday. As soon as I get them mounted I will let everyone know. Hopefully we'll get pictures back soon, if not I'll create a new album for the gallery of them. At least pictures seem to still be working fine in the gallery.

#8 ·
So got my tires today. Super excited and can't wait to get them mounted. They are 28x10-14 but as what seems to be the norm with 28's they only measure 27". Maybe they will be a little taller when they get air in them but I'm betting when you put the weight of the X4 on them they will end up at 27". We'll see though. Here's some pics, even set a rim on them and snapped a shot looking down to get an idea of what they'll look like when mounted. Very pleased to say the least though.

Reactions: Greggo
#9 · (Edited)
D1rtsqu1rrel ,

Better not let the wife see you driving up on the landscaping...LOL

#11 ·
I hope so. I cant wait to see to see how stable it feels as well, being a couple inches wider on each side with the more aggressive offset on the wheels and I have 1.5" spacers for each side for the rear for when they're installed. Should track pretty even from front to back.

#50 ·
I hope so. I cant wait to see to see how stable it feels as well, being a couple inches wider on each side with the more aggressive offset on the wheels and I have 1.5" spacers for each side for the rear for when they're installed. Should track pretty even from front to back. View attachment 70080
This is the post I’ve been looking for. Thinking of going square with GBC’s or some Tusks. Either way, I am worried about being at 28”, and if the spacers will mess up my bearing or axle.

What are your thoughts? Thanks!

#12 ·
Well I had my tires mounted this morning before I went to work with very nice results. Gladiator tires website said that the mounted height of these 28x10-14's is 28.3" and they are on the money. I really thought they would be smaller before I mounted them but very happy they aren't. The width though is only actually 9" though not an actual 10. I dont mind at all though, I like the taller, narrower look. They have a great rounded shape too just like their website ad pics showed. I'll put them on first thing in the morning and post some pics tomorrow some time.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill
#56 · (Edited)
Well I had my tires mounted this morning before I went to work with very nice results. Gladiator tires website said that the mounted height of these 28x10-14's is 28.3" and they are on the money. I really thought they would be smaller before I mounted them but very happy they aren't. The width though is only actually 9" though not an actual 10. I dont mind at all though, I like the taller, narrower look. They have a great rounded shape too just like their website ad pics showed. I'll put them on first thing in the morning and post some pics tomorrow some time. View attachment 70106 View attachment 70108 View attachment 70110

What kind of cover is that?

#14 ·
Thanks! Here's some pics of her all done. I meant to post them yesterday but was very excited to hit the trail and test them out. They are sooooo quiet and perform very well. There is a shake in the steering wheel at top speed and a slight pull to the right but I think some tire balancing beads in the front and a slight alignment adjustment will fix that right up. The cover has been nice as well. I don't have a garage and had a problem with neighborhood cats getting in my Rhino when I had it so I put a cover on it long ago. That was one of the first things I bought for the X4. I actually noticed someone recently started a cover thread. I've been meaning to post some pics and information on the cover I bought in there sometime soon. Oh and thats abby she goes all over the mountains with me in the X4. She's a tough b!+<÷. I watched her kill a badger once....:)

#15 ·
OK. Update time. When I got home from my wheel/tire test ride it was about dark yesterday evening and spent most of the earlier part of the day doing inside chores being it's back to work tomorrow. I finally went outside a little while ago and was looking over the X4 though and found rubbing marks on the fram in front of the back wheels. This surprised me because I was actually checking for rubbing during most of the ride and nothing was there. Being nobody else has said anything about their 28's rubbing I stopped looking on the way back home. On the way up the mountain I could not get the X4 into top speed anymore with the 28's like I could with the stock tires so I figured it's time for clutching but on the way down it was no problem getting up to top speed though. I think that is the problem. I think that at top speed and WOT the tires are ballooning. Really has me kind of bummed out. It rubbed all the way through the paint to bare metal so I figured I would be the first to se beware of 28" tires unless you want to have to paint your frame. Either that or go with Mongrels that people say are only 26.5" tall or STI Chicanes that they say are only actually 27" tall.

#16 ·
Anyone running 27s w/ stock clutch/tranny?
The stock 26s seem pretty short, and I'd love to get a little bit more ground clearance. Considering the Tusk Terrabites, which only come in a 25 or 27. I know they're going to be heavier, but I'm not super hard on my X4. I rarely hit top speed, and I rarely even go full throttle.

#20 · (Edited)
I do not have an X2 or X4 so I cannot comment on performance issues for you due to tires, but here is a side by side pic of my previous 26" Zilla's and new 27" Terrabites.

#17 ·
I have a UTVEngineering machined sheave and stock weights and just installed 27" Tusk Terrabites on STI HD 12" beadlocks, running around 17 lbs in all 4 for now. I would say I gained a good 9-10 lbs per tire out back and more up front (tire/rim combo is about 44 lbs). Thankfully I rarely ever go into 4WD at highway speeds.

With the stock weights with these tires I can feel they're almost too heavy, unless you want to keep your RPMs low to get better gas mileage and lower sound. I can no longer hit the rev limiter on top speed and my top speed has dropped maybe 1-2 MPH over my OEM tires when they were new (I wore my OEM tires down to where they were 25").

My next step is to go to a lighter roller weight, maybe between 17-20 grams, but I need to get on the trails to do more testing. Right now, I'm betting I can have my cake and eat it too.........actually use low gear more on the slow stuff and then still have a decent top speed while enjoying good gas mileage commuting on hard pack\highway.

WolvyMan, your offset puts the tallest part of the tire right at that frame member. What tire pressure are you running? You may have to remove the wheel spacers or go with 1" wide instead of 1/5".

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks. Would you recommend those tires A: for someone wanting good pavement/dirt road manners (like low noise, comfort), and B for someone not concerned w/ top speed or 4-wheel burnouts that will keep the clutch / tranny stock? Or would you recommend something slightly smaller/lighter?

#23 ·
Looks great! Those 11 wides are beefy

#26 ·
#41 ·
Is it 27x11x14 in the back

#30 ·
Here is my X4 with 28s on stock wheels. They are Terache Atlas AT—9” wide on the front and 11” rear. Haven’t noticed any rubbing yet. They certainly took some snap out of the motor, will have to look at clutching soon. The tall sidewalls do roll a bit on corners but also iron out rocks and roots in the trail.

Attachments

#31 · (Edited)
Hey all, I’m looking to get a spare wheel/tire for my x4. I really don’t know anything about the offset stuff I read in here. I thought I figured it out when I ordered a 4 + 3 offset steel when for the Wolverine. Turns out the rim stuck out something awful with the spare bighorn 2.0 mounted and just looked fugly.

So.....I think I figured out that my X4 comes stock with a 5+2 offset.

I can’t find an OEM wheel to match the stock black alloy ones on my x4. What is the closest thing to a stock wheel I can get to mount a front bighorn on to use as a spare??? Thanks in advance!

#32 ·
To anyone running 14 inch wheels and 28 inch tires, I have a few questions.

1. How much did the 28's reduce hp/performance?
2. Did you change clutch weights or other modifications?
3. Did it change how it rides and handles?
4. Would you do it again or go down in size?

#33 ·
I put on 28x10x14 Terra bites all the way around right when I got the machine so I can't compare to stock. It definitely struggles a little on steep hills in 2wd. I probably should change clutch weights. Just a little hesitant to do it because it's a big job for someone with no experience on cvt's. I wanted to go with 27's but they don't make a 27x10x14 that I know of.

#36 · (Edited)
Ya I feel ya. It was a heck of a job to do my weights. I have very little experience with cvt's as well. The biggest thing was taking it all apart to get to it though. The clutch it self was really simple. I went with the 18g Hunterworks greaseless weights. Fixed the slight power loss with the 28's right up. Thing will break the tires loose going around a corner on asphalt again.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.