Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just purchased a new x4 so I'm ready to start upgrades. I am looking at either the HW sheave or a PV3, what would y'all recommend first or should I just bite the bullet on both? Where we ride we have a mix of open higher speed trails and low speed more technical trails. We won't be doing any rock climbing as that's what the Rubicon is for. I'll usually have around 450lbs of family and cargo in the x4. I also plan to stay with the stock 26's till they wear out. So gimme some thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
with stock 26" tires, not sure you need any of those upgrades

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree with jhulihen. But if you just have an itch you need to scratch, I'd go with the tuner. Its the easiest, you'll get a little bump in power and possibly top speed, but the number 1 reason I would do the tune is to get your fan to come on at a lower temp. Or save your money and put it towards some other mod like a winch, roof, windshield, or stereo etc. Anything to make you have a more comfortable and enjoyable riding experience.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey guys, just purchased a new x4 so I'm ready to start upgrades. I am looking at either the HW sheave or a PV3, what would y'all recommend first or should I just bite the bullet on both? Where we ride we have a mix of open higher speed trails and low speed more technical trails. We won't be doing any rock climbing as that's what the Rubicon is for. I'll usually have around 450lbs of family and cargo in the x4. I also plan to stay with the stock 26's till they wear out. So gimme some thoughts. Thanks
Depending on the SPEED of the "open higher speed trails", I would recommend doing the Hunterworks sheave to lower RPM at speeds (40+ mph gets loud for me with the stock sheave and with the HW sheave it is a lot quieter) if you stay under 52mph. it also helps with the low speed stuff as well. I won't lie and say it is a "easy job" getting it in, but it wasn't terrible.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The thing is, if you don't change your tires, not sure what the HW sheave is going to do for you vs. the money and time to install it. You would get a performance benefit, but not the same as if you went to larger tires and then did it.

The 26" tires on my machine measured 23.5" tall on the rear when I took them off at 1500 miles. I would be willing to bet yours measure about 24.5" or maybe 25" now. I understand leaving the stock tires on - that's what I did. When I replaced the stock tires with 27" tires, they measured a true 27". Literally went from 23.5" tires to 27" tires. That's when I did the HW sheave.

The other thing with the HW sheave is you have to pick what weights you are going to run. For me, the 20 grams. But if I went to 28" tires I'd pick 18 grams. So if you do the HW sheave now with 26" tires you would need to choose the weight based on what you have now. Are you going to be willing to change the weights later if you go to 28" tires?

So, I'd pick the tune. The other thing I suggest is the Perfex 2" lift kit. That was one of the better mods I've done. I promise if you lift it you will like it, but it will really make your stock tires look small.

·
Engineer
1,775 Posts
The Hunterworks Sheave does improve your cvt, even with stock tires. It helps relieve some of the pressure off the belt by lowering your gear ratio. Personally I think that a first sheave maintenance should be done at 500 miles for both primary and secondary sheaves. At this point if you do not decide to use an aftermarket sheave, I suggest at least dropping in HV weights and refilling with Tinkseal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys I really appreciate the feedback! I'm thinking I'll probably go with the tune first primarily for the lower temp fan activation as I really don't like the temp this thing runs especially down here in the Bama heat. The only reason I was considering the sheave right now and forgot to mention it in the original post is that I have some really good trails about 8 miles from my house which I can drive the x4 to and like the idea of lower rpms in the 40-45mph range. After 20+ years in the auto repair and parts world I value you guys field experience and opinions over sales sheets. Looks like I'm going tuner first. Winch, windshield and radio ate already in place. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just realized i dropped this thread in the gen 1 forum. Mods feel free to move it if needed. Sorry guys

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I just realized i dropped this thread in the gen 1 forum. Mods feel free to move it if needed. Sorry guys
This happens all the time. I think the Gen 1 sections should be under the Gen 2 sections on the forums page.

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
This happens all the time. I think the Gen 1 sections should be under the Gen 2 sections on the forums page.
You think it's bad now, a third section is going to be needed really, really soon ;)

Reactions: KeithStone76

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes, and I'd put the Gen 3 at the top. That way when the new guys come in, their stuff is at the top. Us old guys know where our stuff is.

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,574 Posts
Yes, and I'd put the Gen 3 at the top. That way when the new guys come in, their stuff is at the top. Us old guys know where our stuff is.
Great idea!!

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
2,462 Posts
It becomes unclear when OEM's make close variation models where they fit into.

An Index of category links to the specific section maybe required, or at some point so that they can been seen at the top. Then the user can navigate down. It would have to be very clear outlining the various mix that each addresses with in them. Otherwise cross posting and mods moving threads will increase to control posts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts