Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holy #!?k. Thats bs! Regardless of the situation I expect better of Yamaha.
They sure don’t have the same build quality as there bikes in my experience.
I’ve had 2 Yamaha sxs’s and 3 of there bikes.
We race dirt bikes, all are Yamaha and they are arguably the best quality. Between me and our camp at the races we have 12 bikes (all Yamaha) and 7 sxs’s ( 3 r-specs, 2 Ramx’s an X2 and my X4) We have had really good luck with our sxs’s. Mine is the first one to have an issue like this. I ride mine the least of any of us also.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I repaired mine when the highlifter bracket split (post #44) but I didn’t take everything apart to thoroughly inspect the radiator side of the shock tower. About a month ago the shock tower split again which makes me think that the radiator side was damaged as well and over time the crack spread from front to the back where I had focused my initial repair. The latest repair included welding in an angle brace on the front and a piece of angle steel on the back. After that I fabbed a piece of 1-1/4” steel tube with 3/8” risers on the ends and slid it inside the shock tower channel. The risers butt against the frame cross members and give support to the area closest to shocks. I welded the steel tube inside the shock tower channel using the openings in the middle immediately behind the radiator. Welding the brace in using the oval cutouts is convenient since the area is accessible once you pull the plastics. If this thing breaks again, I am all out of solutions. It’s super beefy now. See images below of damage part 2 and latest repair. *note - I am just learning to weld so go easy

Latest damage

Steel 3/4” angle welded in back and 1/2” square stock gusset welded in front after rewelding the fracture.

27” long piece of 1-1/4” square stock with 7” long piece of 3/8” channel welded to the top on each end. These “risers” are needed since the frame extends thru the shock tower cross member and sticks down about 3/8”. The risers give support to the cross member at the shocks. Image shows the piece clamped in place and ready for welding to the shock tower cross member.

View from rear looking forward at cutouts used to weld the square stock in place. This was after primer and paint. I only had black hammer finish rustoleum so sorry for the lack of clarity in the pic. I welded front and back using the cutouts plus you have several 1/4 holes that you can also use to tack weld the square stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

61 - 62 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.