Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
just got back from the metal shop !

Excited to see your mod, please make sure you take some good pics!!

Are you using aluminum??

Reactions: Tuffahab

·
Registered
138 Posts
Take note highlifter equipped 2018-19 X2/X4 owners!

1) Model and year of X2/X4: 2018 Wolverine X4 SE
2) Have you experienced bent shock mounts? Yes
3) Stock or size of aftermarket tires: 28in Blackwater Evo / stock wheels
4) Using a lift kit (which one) or stock?: High Lifter 3.5 inch
5) Using stock or aftermarket shocks (which ones)?: Stock
6) Mileage\hours: With lift kit - 900 miles
7) Type of typical riding you do including typical speed: Trail 8-15 mph / Road etc. generally 30 mph but up to 50 mph occasionally. I am a cautious driver that takes it easy on the trails. I like trekking thru mud and technical trails but it’s always at low speeds. I wrongly assumed the highlifter issues were associated with jumping and people being hard on their machines. Not true!
8) If you experienced bent shock towers did you notice it after a specific incident or did you notice it upon casual inspection? Given the issues with the Highlifter setup, I decided to remove it and upgrade the shocks to 814 Viking shocks since they provide the same lift (or more) than the highlifter and improve the ride. In the process of pulling out the front highlifter mount, I noticed a crack in the bracket and the weld for the shock mount/frame connection was also cracked on the passenger side.
9) If you experienced bent shock towers what speed were you going and the nature of of the incident such as what type of obstacle or road condition caused it. N/A
10) Pictures of bent shock tower if affected. See attached picture of cracked bracket and weld break on the machine (ignore the shiny area on the frame - I was in the process of grinding the paint off of the area for future welding when I took the image)
11) Video of specific instance that caused the bent shock tower. N/A
12) Video of off-roading where you do spirited riding and have not experienced bent shock towers. N/A

AKHunter and I are going to work on fixing the shock mount weld and beefing things up in the coming days. Stay tuned for updates!

Attachments

Reactions: Godti

·
Registered
972 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Repair Update: Worked with AKHunter to prep, beef up, and reweld the shock mounts. Upon closer inspection of the shock mounts on my 2018 X4 vs his 2019 X2, it appears the factory didn’t fully weld the bracket to frame on my machine (see photo). It’s tight working space but we were able to clean everything up with a dremel and reweld the connections. Once that was done, I cut some 3/4” square stock to form an angle to help tie the shock mount to the frame a little better. AKHunter did some great welding to lock everything in place. We did the same on the drivers side even though it wasn’t showing any signs of damage. The photos show the lack of a weld on the lower edge of the frame tie in, the reweld of the stock bracket, and the finished product with the 3/4” brace welded in. Should be good to go now, especially with the highlifter off the machine. Just need to prime and paint.

Also, just added the 814 Viking shocks and will be upgrading wheels and tires this weekend once the portals are on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alas I have come to join the masses. I believe that the design of the Highlifter lift kit acts like a lever, multiplying the shock forces to the frame. Its that combined with weaker welds that is causing the frame failure. I think that with the original shock position, the forces would have been better dispersed and no frame failures would have occurred.
1) Model and year of X2/X4 - 2019 X4 SE
2) Have you experienced bent shock mounts? YES
3) Stock or size of aftermarket tires
4) Using a lift kit (which one) or stock? HIGHLIFTER
5) Using stock or aftermarket shocks (which ones)?
6) Mileage\hours 500
7) Type of typical riding you do including typical speed - 15-30mph. Light trails
8) If you experienced bent shock towers did you notice it after a specific incident or did you notice it upon casual inspection? Hood was no longer closing easy on passenger side. Frame has pushed all plastic pieces up about .25"
9) If you experienced bent shock towers what speed were you going and the nature of of the incident such as what type of obstacle or road condition caused it
10) Pictures of bent shock tower if affected
11) Video of specific instance that caused the bent shock tower
12) Video of off-roading where you do spirited riding and have not experienced bent shock towers
FrameA.jpg
FrameB.jpg

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did you inspect the area above the radiator? Mine had a slight failure there as well
Do you live in Colorado and can do mine ;)
I don’t believe I have any damage above the radiator but I think I caught mine as it was just starting to fail. Once you have the supplies, it will only take you 3-5 hours to clean, reweld, and beef up the shock mounts. Although not cheap, I opted to replace the oem shocks for 814 Viking shocks. They gave me more lift than the highlifter setup and the ride improved significantly. I think it is appalling that highlifter ignores this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tracen8r

·
Registered
311 Posts
It appears many of these weld failures are from the factory. Not only because HL brackets. They are showing the improper fusion of the welds from bracket to frame. That's (post #46 1st pic) a clear pic of ZERO WELD PENETRATION.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe it’s a combination problem. Poor welds, change of fulcrum with HL kit, and standard shocks. After tearing mine apart, it looks like the HL bar failed as well. My shop guy said the shocks just didn’t absorb enough, causing the HL to fail, then the frame next.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1) 2019 Wolverine SE X-4
2) yes
3)Just installed Yamaha accessories 27 inch wheel and tires-Motoclaws
4) stock
5) stock
6) 680 miles
7) light trail, cruising around campground, some highway to 30mph, recent bumps and small jump.
8) after last ride 6/23/2020
9) unknown
10) no pictures currently at dealership getting repair quote.
11) none
Front left shock mount moved forward in contact with the top of radiator. No body damage, hardly noticable without fluid loss. I now believe this is partly the result of a poor design by Yamaha. The various test rides I have seen were way worse than my incident. I am very disappointed with Yamaha. Dealership is stating no factory replacement available. First discussion was total frame change. Seems excessive too me.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
2018 x4
669 miles
27x11x15 tires
Trail rides
Maybe about 20 mph
Holy crap. I guess I can consider myself blessed. I had just under 3,600 miles on my 2018 X4 and never had any shock mount issues before I sold it last week. And I drove the piss out of it. Jumped it my share of times and always spun tires when I could. I feel so bad for all you guys that had these issues with under 700 miles and such. I hope the new owners of my X4 are as lucky as I was with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2018 x4
669 miles
27x11x15 tires
Trail rides
Maybe about 20 mph
It seems odd to be that the welds would look that rusty immediately after the 20mph impact.
I suspect that there was some other greater stress some time earlier that led to this failure.

Reactions: Greggo and DLX2

·
Registered
701 Posts
The setup can make or break any suspension setup. The issue with bending things is almost always because the shock/suspension ran out of travel. When that occurs all bets are off on what is going to bend. Something often will. If your going to be jumping or hitting things you need the damping settings set stiff and enough preload in the spring to keep it from running out of travel.
Almost all frame bending is caused by running out of travel. Some recreation machines just don't have enough adjustment to prevent that when you stat getting crazy with one.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts