Premium Member
63 Posts
1) Model and year of X2/X4: 2019 Wolverine X4 SE
2) Have you experienced bent shock mounts? No
3) Stock or size of aftermarket tires: 28in / 14 wheel
4) Using a lift kit (which one) or stock?: High Lifter 3.5 inch
5) Using stock or aftermarket shocks (which ones)?: Stock
6) Mileage\hours: With lift kit 4 hours / without 20 hours
7) Type of typical riding you do including typical speed: Trail 25-30 / Road etc. up to 50
8) If you experienced bent shock towers did you notice it after a specific incident or did you notice it upon casual inspection? N/A
9) If you experienced bent shock towers what speed were you going and the nature of of the incident such as what type of obstacle or road condition caused it
10) Pictures of bent shock tower if affected
11) Video of specific instance that caused the bent shock tower
12) Video of off-roading where you do spirited riding and have not experienced bent shock towers: Will get one soon. However, I ride hard - have hit jumps, hard dumps into arroyos and rock climbs with some tuff break overs with the lift so far....all is good to go.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Not mine, but this is with the 3.5" Highlifter kit

View attachment 74784

Stock

View attachment 74782
What kind of riding caused this? It looks like the front 81-1 or O spacers was jammed up with some force to slam that spacer so hard into the mount it bent the High Lifter bracket - I'm curious if the rider bottomed out that shock i.e. jump etc. It would take a significant amount of force to do that since the front half bracket seems to be the bent portion causing the shock eyelet to angle about 5-8 degrees forward. At least from first impressions, the brackets seem solid as heck. The OEM stock mount in this does not look bent, it looks like the top of the shock and eyelet shifted forward due to the brackets shifting. I wonder if the kit was removed where we can see the lower half of the OEM shock mount if it is actually bent or if the bracket or shock damaged or?

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
What kind of riding caused this? It looks like the front 81-1 or O spacers was jammed up with some force to slam that spacer so hard into the mount it bent the High Lifter bracket - I'm curious if the rider bottomed out that shock i.e. jump etc. It would take a significant amount of force to do that since the front half bracket seems to be the bent portion causing the shock eyelet to angle about 5-8 degrees forward. At least from first impressions, the brackets seem solid as heck. The OEM stock mount in this does not look bent, it looks like the top of the shock and eyelet shifted forward due to the brackets shifting. I wonder if the kit was removed where we can see the lower half of the OEM shock mount if it is actually bent or if the bracket or shock damaged or?
I'm willing to bet this guy was pretty abusive to his machine. He's dropped from the spotlight and I doubt we'll hear of any follow-up. He's not the first to have bent shock towers using the Highlifter kit however.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Are the 2" super atv kits having the same issues?
I haven't heard anything one way or another. Most doing lift kits are doing the 3.5" Highlifter kit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are the 2" super atv kits having the same issues?
They shouldn't have the same issue because the Superatv kit doesn't change the factory shock mounting location, it's just a spring spacer.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the shock travel was "roughly", 2" in and 7" out @ stock.
Can anyone confirm ?
It would make sense if you only had 2" on 'in' travel then the energy would transfer to the mount if you hit a object hard enough.
Shock settings would be nice to know also. 16/18, full soft 18/18, etc.
Just something that came to mind.....

·
Registered
2021 Rmax2 XTR Someday
134 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the shock travel was "roughly", 2" in and 7" out @ stock.
Can anyone confirm ?
It would make sense if you only had 2" on 'in' travel then the energy would transfer to the mount if you hit a object hard enough.
Shock settings would be nice to know also. 16/18, full soft 18/18, etc.
Just something that came to mind.....
If 2" of in travel is all there is then I would think it would be wise to take the sway bars off and set preload to max.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
233 Posts
So is there anyway of safely adding height to the X4? This is very disappointing for me, never fails I purchase the toys that seem to always have limitations in the aftermarket world. Im not out to do any major mudding, but I did want to put some bigger tires on there and found out that the X4 is a little limited in that area too without doing a lift and spacers.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
2,015 Posts
There is the Super ATV 2in shock spring spacer lift. I believe this is the safest one to go with to not have to worry about bent shock mounts. I believe that the Walker Evens shocks alone will give you a bit of lift as well from what I read on the forum.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

·
Registered
326 Posts
Found this on the net, blames the weld but he does have the high lifter on it. You can see how bad it was when he beats on it to move it back.

Reactions: Tracen8r

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I would say it’s pretty clear that the bent frame from jumping with the high lifter on came 1st and the cracked weld came 2nd even though the bottom of the weld was missed. If the weld was broken completely then it could at least be argued the other way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2020 x2 so I'm not on here just bashing some other brand.

In my opinion the upper shock mount is obviously weak.

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have a 2020 x2 so I'm not on here just bashing some other brand.

In my opinion the upper shock mount is obviously weak.
Not on your 2020 and I have over 9000 miles on my 2018 and the shock mounts are straight. They're weak if you send it.......either intentionally or not. It's not a YXZ that's meant to take obstacles at speed, it's a sport utility\trail machine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not on your 2020 and I have over 9000 miles on my 2018 and the shock mounts are straight. They're weak if you send it.......either intentionally or not. It's not a YXZ that's meant to take obstacles at speed, it's a sport utility\trail machine.
I'm not the type to ever send it on purpose. I have 15k km on my 750 Kingquad and can think of a few "uh oh" moments. Never bent or broke the 750 kq. I'm just curiouse what the limitations are. For example, is 2 foot of air or hitting a 1 foot washout at 30km/h going to write the thing off?

BTW: watched a lot of you maintenance videos thanks for taking thr time to make them!

·
Administrator
2021 RMAX4 LE
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I'm not the type to ever send it on purpose. I have 15k km on my 750 Kingquad and can think of a few "uh oh" moments. Never bent or broke the 750 kq. I'm just curiouse what the limitations are. For example, is 2 foot of air or hitting a 1 foot washout at 30km/h going to write the thing off?

BTW: watched a lot of you maintenance videos thanks for taking thr time to make them!
Guys have actually jumped theirs with no issue but I think it's more likely to happen on base shocks vs aftermarket or upgraded shocks. Those that have installed the 3.5" Highlifter lift are also more prone to having it happen. I've seen no instances of 2020 models having it happen since they all received the upgraded bracing.

Glad you find the how-to's helpful.

·
Registered
658 Posts
just got back from the metal shop !

Reactions: Godti
21 - 40 of 56 Posts