Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a new x2 but concerned about the short travel on these machines. We live in Nevada and also play/hunt in Utah, Idaho and CA. Any of you guys living out West have problems with the short travel. I know the x2 isn’t a rock crawler but our terrain is challenging. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I can't speak for your terrain as I've never ridden it, but I can be the first to reply.I live on the East Coast. After owning my 2019 X2 for two years and riding it every chance around local trails and multiple trips to West Virginia here's my answer.

The 850 is a small tire machine. That means it's kind of like a quad, a four-wheeler. It's extremely capable, many call it a billy-goat AND i DO TOO. It will fit almost anywhere a quad will. It will go where a quad will struggle and have cup holders and rear bed storage. The X2 has a different price point that kind of, if you think about it, matches its capabilities. It really shines in the tight twisty narrow trails.

BUT WAIT TO HERE FROM BUDRO2. He's the expert in that terrain!!!

·
Registered
2019 x4, 28 in bighorns, Hunterworks sheeve kit, perfex 2in lift, 2in rear and 1 in front spacers
30 Posts
I ride in your area with a 2019 x4. I've done some modifications to help with the rocky, steep terrain i like to ride in. I have 28 in tires, the 2" perfex lift, wheel spacers and the HW sheave with 18g weights. Even though the ground clearance is still not great it has been a very capable machine in rough terrain. More suspension travel might help but i usually run into other limits before travel issues (my own fear of death or spousal screaming!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride in your area with a 2019 x4. I've done some modifications to help with the rocky, steep terrain i like to ride in. I have 28 in tires, the 2" perfex lift, wheel spacers and the HW sheave with 18g weights. Even though the ground clearance is still not great it has been a very capable machine in rough terrain. More suspension travel might help but i usually run into other limits before travel issues (my own fear of death or spousal screaming!).

·
Registered
2019 x4, 28 in bighorns, Hunterworks sheeve kit, perfex 2in lift, 2in rear and 1 in front spacers
30 Posts
Haha!! Sounds familiar! Where do you usually ride? We're in the southern california area and have a lot of riding options down here. Mostly around the Jawbone, red rock canyon and dove springs areas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are up by Carson City and are pretty new to the off road world. Did some back country hunting with my son in UT in august and will go back plus Idaho next season. We are in need of upgrading our trailer for X2 plus a 48 in. wide atv. Looking for a side loading trailer. Any recommendations or cautions from you guys out there? Pull vehicle is a Ram rated at 8k lbs.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I can't speak for your terrain as I've never ridden it, but I can be the first to reply.I live on the East Coast. After owning my 2019 X2 for two years and riding it every chance around local trails and multiple trips to West Virginia here's my answer.

The 850 is a small tire machine. That means it's kind of like a quad, a four-wheeler. It's extremely capable, many call it a billy-goat AND i DO TOO. It will fit almost anywhere a quad will. It will go where a quad will struggle and have cup holders and rear bed storage. The X2 has a different price point that kind of, if you think about it, matches its capabilities. It really shines in the tight twisty narrow trails.

BUT WAIT TO HERE FROM BUDRO2. He's the expert in that terrain!!!
Not sure about the expert comment but I think you summed up the X in your statement.
No question it will get you about anywhere you want to go and back.
Even without mods if you don’t mind scratching and dragging LOL.

Reactions: Ghost23

·
Registered
459 Posts
Putting the springs on it from JBS really made the machine a lot more capable and removing the rear sway bar. Ground clearance is increased and ride is better. It just will never be PLUSH like a long travel machine.

Reactions: Budro2

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
X2 and RMax have the same engine, almost.
Max had lightened internals and reduced rotating mass to gain the extra HP.

Technical riding will require a lift IMOH.
If nothing else, ground clearance.
Dragging bottom happens with all machines, but when the A-arms get against a obsticals, your done.

Plush ride is where my X2 is at honestly.
Between tire selection and shock settings, I'm happy.

If fact, my wife said it rides better than my buddies Honda Talon she rode in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just have a 12ft steel trailer with a rear drop ramp but doesn't support side load. Your truck will do great. I'm towing mine with a toyota tacoma and it does just fine......although not very enthusiastic on the up grades! The trailer plus my x4 is only about 2700 lbs.
I've seen lots off side load set ups so i know they are out there.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha Wolverine X2
1,472 Posts
The X2 is an incredibly capable machine. It will get you almost anywhere you want to go. It'll probably outclimb your desires. I agree it could use more ground clearance. At a minimum I would suggest some bigger tires. I did and went with 28x10's on all corners and it made a world of difference! It'll climb MUCH better, and it provides more ground clearance too. Here's a pic of mine to show how it looks. It does NOT rub anywhere. Good luck with whatever you end up doing. You'll LOVE it!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Reactions: Ron505 and Ghost23

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax Sport
449 Posts
I have a 2019 X2 and have no problems going anywhere. Been to Rockhouse, Devil Anse, Buffalo Mt, and some outlaw trails in KY. Along with Red Bird here in Indiana. The X2 is not a high speed machine. It's more of a get you to where you need to go machine. Mine is on 30" tires and beadlocks, HW greaseless sheave, Weller tuned PV3, SATV high clearance front A arms. Shocks are set almost full soft and very little preload. Sway bars are disconnected and I installed limit straps so the shocks don't over extend.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax Sport
449 Posts
I just have a 12ft steel trailer with a rear drop ramp but doesn't support side load. Your truck will do great. I'm towing mine with a toyota tacoma and it does just fine......although not very enthusiastic on the up grades! The trailer plus my x4 is only about 2700 lbs.
I've seen lots off side load set ups so i know they are out there.
I think it's a Toyota thing. My tundra doesn't like towing up hills. It powers up the hills but shift hunts a lot. Made a huge difference taking the windshield of the X2 while towing.

·
Premium Member
2022 Rmax Sport
449 Posts
X2 and RMax have the same engine, almost.
Max had lightened internals and reduced rotating mass to gain the extra HP.

Technical riding will require a lift IMOH.
If nothing else, ground clearance.
Dragging bottom happens with all machines, but when the A-arms get against a obsticals, your done.

Plush ride is where my X2 is at honestly.
Between tire selection and shock settings, I'm happy.

If fact, my wife said it rides better than my buddies Honda Talon she rode in.
Talons are way way too stiff in the rear. They also don't turn very well at low speeds.

·
Registered
2019 X2 RSpec SE
81 Posts
The X2 is a great machine that tires and clutch work makes ever better. As for side a load trailer are you thinking of having the X2 on the trailer sideways? If so you do realize it is 10 ft long, not sure about your laws but 8ft 6 inches is max width on roads here without a wide load permit and banners ect. Take care

Reactions: Ghost23

·
Registered
'18 Viking, '19 Wolverine R-spec.
60 Posts
I lived (and hunted in NV; out of Reno) for over 30 yrs and finally gave up and moved to Idaho where I can buy a tag every year.
I have a pretty much bone stock '19 X2 (exception being RipSaw tires). I have never been anywhere that I could not access with that machine. I climbed a ROUGH road near Silver City, Idaho last year and crawled over boulders as large as my tires and I never scraped or banged anything. A guy riding a Kawi ATV finally made it up that road about 15 minutes after I did and he had lots of problems making it. Your X2 will do anything you want it to! the only issue I EVER had was on 1 ride, I had a rock lodge (temporarily) between the brake rotor and a wheel---no damages, but it was noisy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts