Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bent a tie rod on the passengers side ordered a replacement, used the string method to do alignment. My mistake was readjusting the drivers side because according to the measurements it was off from factory. Now when I try to align the machine the tie rods on either side are not the same length. I marked the tie rod so I could count the number of turns on each side to get the tires straight. Well the drivers side is taking about 8 turns and passengers about 12. So I have way more threads showing on the passengers than the drivers. This does not seem normal and service manual says to adjust equally. Does anybody know if this is normal? Could someone check threads on both sides after loosening the jam nuts. Anybody know the amount of turns it takes to get the wheels straight on both sides after bottoming out the tie rod. Thanks! Hopefully something else is not bent I have looked over and over and do not see any other issues. Maybe steering rack is messed up?

·
Registered
182 Posts
You could compare the two installed tie rods for overall length and thread length. If the rods are different in either case you have your answer.
Otherwise you may be correct on more damage.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You could compare the two installed tie rods for overall length and thread length. If the rods are different in either case you have your answer.
Otherwise you may be correct on more damage.
One is 1/4 longer than the other and alignment is dead nuts on. I have taken measurements all over the place and nothing seems bent or out of place. Any pointers on where to look? A arms good, shocks equal on both sides measured off frame. . Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have called several dealerships some say its perfectly normal others state I should dig deeper. At this point I'd like to burn it. Does anyone on here know for sure if your tie rod lengths are equal on passengers and drivers side?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I would not know and doubt you can find anymore conclusive info. Don't doubt the string method is that far off. Four turns is 6 mm (less than 1/4") if that is a 1.5 mm tie=rod thread, half of that to center is an 1/8". But apparently since it really is under your skin, I suggest you pull the front wheels and set it on blocks to weight the axles. Clamp a 3 ft straight edge on each hub and measure to the frame rails (same as tire dimension) to get parallel with frame and then center steering wheel. Now check if parallel to each other and where thread count is. Now set your toe-in as desired. If you do a lot of road riding on blacktop then the steering wheel may not be centered as you correct for road camber. Depending on your riding style and vehicle events, your frame can experience a lot of torque and hammering that may tweak things off a little. and if not off a lot after the above, I personally would not worry about it. If off a lot check frames for broken welds or loose components.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Do as Jimclemjr says and then don’t let it bother you.
My Rmax steering wheel wasn’t centered so I did the alignment check and of course one side was straight and one not. This was brand new. After putting the steering wheel straight up center, both sides had to be changed to make it drive straight and set the toe where I wanted to.
My tie-rod adjustment is not even close from one side to the other.
Steering wheel is center, drives straight at high speed on asphalt and the wheel turns the same amount both directions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts