Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a purchase (when available) but concerned as to how the X2 would handle snow plowing.

Not so much a structural concern, more of a trans concerns.

Is it really hard on the belt?

And the constant shifting from L-N-R and back to L, can it handle it?

·
Registered
2020 X2 Base
12 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned with the shifting as long as you come to a stop before trying to go from forward to reverse, etc.. Also, make sure the clutch is engaged fully before applying a load (dropping plow into the snow.) Use low as much as practical.

My biggest concern would be weight. Not sure of your location, but it doesn't take much wet snow to overcome the relatively light weight of these machines causing them to spin out. Here in north Idaho, it wouldn't be good for much. My 3/4 Ton pickup with tire chains struggles to keep up.

Reactions: Geo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't be concerned with the shifting as long as you come to a stop before trying to go from forward to reverse, etc.. Also, make sure the clutch is engaged fully before applying a load (dropping plow into the snow.) Use low as much as practical.

My biggest concern would be weight. Not sure of your location, but it doesn't take much wet snow to overcome the relatively light weight of these machines causing them to spin out. Here in north Idaho, it wouldn't be good for much. My 3/4 Ton pickup with tire chains struggles to keep up.
How do you make sure the clutch is engaged? Do you mean just wait a second between shifts?

Also, I am in Northeast PA, and have been using a Honda Rancher. I get shoved around a lot. Anything more than 6" of wet snow is a pain in the a**.

·
Registered
2020 X2 Base
12 Posts
If you listen to RPM's, from a dead stop, you can hear the difference from when it is slipping and then the belt engages. On my 2020 model, it takes a few feet on flat ground. Starting uphill, sometimes longer. Any load under that condition will cause the belt and clutch to build heat.

You don't have to wait between shifts, just make sure the tires have stopped rolling so you don't clash the gears. Mine is gated, so it prevents you from doing it while the transmission is still moving but I'm sure you could force it by accident.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you listen to RPM's, from a dead stop, you can hear the difference from when it is slipping and then the belt engages. On my 2020 model, it takes a few feet on flat ground. Starting uphill, sometimes longer. Any load under that condition will cause the belt and clutch to build heat.

You don't have to wait between shifts, just make sure the tires have stopped rolling so you don't clash the gears. Mine is gated, so it prevents you from doing it while the transmission is still moving but I'm sure you could force it by accident.
Since the clutch is centrifugal, I guess it's a good idea to keep the RPM's up while plowing snow?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Since the clutch is centrifugal, I guess it's a good idea to keep the RPM's up while plowing snow?
No. That’s not necessary. These machines can push or pull like a tractor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts