Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching clutch weights and from what i understand the heavier clutch weights lower RPMs and decrease cab noise. The people with the rmaxes claim that it drastically reduces noise in the cab. I am considering new tires and i thought if i go from 27s to 29s this should lower RPMs correct. It would be a lot cheaper just to change clutch weights but then when i do decide to get tires i know I will purchase a bigger size because of ground clearance then I will probably need to reinstall the 22s right or end up running it in low range all the time. Just some thoughts. Thanks in advance for the help. Jomo

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I have been researching clutch weights and from what i understand the heavier clutch weights lower RPMs and decrease cab noise. The people with the rmaxes claim that it drastically reduces noise in the cab. I am considering new tires and i thought if i go from 27s to 29s this should lower RPMs correct. It would be a lot cheaper just to change clutch weights but then when i do decide to get tires i know I will purchase a bigger size because of ground clearance then I will probably need to reinstall the 22s right or end up running it in low range all the time. Just some thoughts. Thanks in advance for the help. Jomo
You won’t notice one bit of difference in noise.
The engine will still run at the same RPM. The variable transmission will absorb the difference which is a very small difference.

Reactions: Jraoffroad

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if I went up to a 24g clutch weights. I thing there is 22g weights in it now it’s a 2021 x2.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
What if I went up to a 24g clutch weights. I thing there is 22g weights in it now it’s a 2021 x2.
Yes that will lower engine RPMs and thus reduce noise.
Not sure how much you will like the performance if you put 29” on later with 24 gr weights however.
Depending on your riding style it may not bother you. It’s a personal venture for sure.

Reactions: Jraoffroad

·
Registered
2020 X2 XT-R 850
248 Posts
I've got sensitive hearing, and I've tried a lot of things over the years in my trucks, boats and side by sides. I've spent a lot of money, done a lot of work...and I've found out that the absolute very best (and cheapest!) noise reduction system?...earplugs.
:)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes that will lower engine RPMs and thus reduce noise.
Not sure how much you will like the performance if you put 29” on later with 24 gr weights however.
Depending on your riding style it may not bother you. It’s a personal venture for sure.
I can live with the 27” tires it’s the noise I don’t like. I guess I am just thinking it should be quite like my 08 rhino. With over double the HP you are going to get more noise. There is a trade off there. This thing was really quite until I put a full cab on it. I have tried a few things to reduce noise. No luck insulating the tunnel helps but it adds a lot of extra weight that center console weights about 30lbs now I have multiple layers in there.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I found 24s for the rmax not the x2 r spec as far as I can tell the r spec has the same size weights as the grizzly and rhino. I didn’t see anything over a 22g weight.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know the size or if they even make a 24 gram weight for the r-spec. I emailed Todd from Hunterworks hopefully he can help me out.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I don’t think they make them.
I thought maybe you knew something I didn’t when you brought it up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ear plugs for the win. I find that I can do fine 30mph or below but when you get up above that for sustained periods its good to plug up.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the RMAX takes a 35mm weight if i knew the size of the r spec weight I
could do a search by size

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts