Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my experience, OHC motors with shim/bucket type valves hold their adjustment longer and generally tighten as the wear. That means hearing a difference is less likely. OTOH, an overhead valve motor with adjustable rockers seem to need more frequent adjustment, but you can hear them as the loosen and they are easier to adjust. With that in mind, I am surprised at how often Yamaha recommends a valve adjustment. The first one at first oil change and then every 1500 miles. My FJR required a valve adj every 25,000 miles and I didn't have to make any changes in the 30,000 miles I put on it. I realize the vast differences in use and execution, it just seems over done every 1500 miles.
I did my first oil and filter at 100 miles. Now I am around 300 miles and am curious what you all have experienced? My dealer says about $350 if they have to adjust, less if they check out ok.
What has been the real first hand experience?

·
Registered
77 Posts
In my experience, OHC motors with shim/bucket type valves hold their adjustment longer and generally tighten as the wear. That means hearing a difference is less likely. OTOH, an overhead valve motor with adjustable rockers seem to need more frequent adjustment, but you can hear them as the loosen and they are easier to adjust. With that in mind, I am surprised at how often Yamaha recommends a valve adjustment. The first one at first oil change and then every 1500 miles. My FJR required a valve adj every 25,000 miles and I didn't have to make any changes in the 30,000 miles I put on it. I realize the vast differences in use and execution, it just seems over done every 1500 miles.
I did my first oil and filter at 100 miles. Now I am around 300 miles and am curious what you all have experienced? My dealer says about $350 if they have to adjust, less if they check out ok.
What has been the real first hand experience?
Which is why I spent the big bucks for the service manual....

Valves at first oil change.... always in a high reving application from what I can see.

·
Super Moderator
546 Posts
It only takes a few minutes to check them yourself if you have the bed off for maintenance if it is like the motorcycles I have done. Single cylinder should be no problem. Just pull the valve cover and rotate the motor to TDC on overlap and check them both is the usual routine. If they are not in spec you can do it yourself if you can add and subtract or just have the dealer do it. There is probably a shim chart in the shop manual.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It would be nice to find or have a sticky vid showing
How to do it , for the less hands on fellows. And a good vid of CVT disassembly / serviceing primary and secondary/ belt install. I put 6000 miles on my 08 rhino 700 and never once adjusted the valves and the bike ran and started like the day I bought it new when I traded it in on the wolvie. So I think it may be a bit over rated. But maybe I'm wrong. Need more input. On people actually having problems, To need to adjust them.

Reactions: LeadSled01

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
It would be nice to find or have a sticky vid showing
How to do it , for the less hands on fellows. And a good vid of CVT disassembly / serviceing primary and secondary/ belt install. I put 6000 miles on my 08 rhino 700 and never once adjusted the valves and the bike ran and started like the day I bought it new when I traded it in on the wolvie. So I think it may be a bit over rated. But maybe I'm wrong. Need more input. On people actually having problems, To need to adjust them.
Check out this thread for sheave install videos...

http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/25-hunterworks/588-new-sheave-install-video-up.html

As for valve adjustment...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Fordtruckman your are the MAN!! Thanks. This should be a sticky. Both vids. So many people will alway have these questions. And it will inhance our forum

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nice!!. Very helpful and a great enhancement to our forum. Thanks again fordtruckMan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.