Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got pics using it for work? I'm debating between a used Rhino and a Wolvie. I'd rather have the width/suspension/engine of the Wolverine, and sacrifice the dump bed. Mine will be used for towing my boat out from the back of the property to the truck, plowing, hauling some firewood, and trail riding. Wondering if any of you guys are using yours for chores around the property.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Work? I'm too busy having fun with mine to work. :cool:

·
Registered
718 Posts
For towing, the Wolvie is rated to TOW more than the Rhino. Rhino does have a higher bed capacity rating though.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
from my experience with the wolverine it is more of a tow machine than a haul machine,i have pulled my utility trailer loaded up with a moose and xtra gear,a moose on the ground and a polaris sportsman with rider off a mountain though mud holes etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
the small beds do limit there working capabilities, but I pull my 18ft trailer around with mine, they are strong, a small trailer behind it would turn it into a workhorse,
like they said another option also would be the Viking, but in all honesty I liked the ranger 570 better than the Viking, (I know this is a Yamaha website so don't bash me too bad) and they are power houses also, everyone has there opinion

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
FWIW...the Wolverine has a lower gear ratio stock vs. stock compared to the viking. This obviously gives it the edge in low speed torque and pulling ability, while being slightly more reliable. However, if you wanted to get the viking, you could just slug the wet clutch, throw in a modified sheave, and call it good. It would then have the edge over a stock wolverine. BUT, you can do the same work to the wolverine, so it's really about whether you want to leave the machine stock or not. The Viking is clearly more utilitarian, but the wolverine has slightly more engine power, and the edge on the gear ratio, making it a better puller when still stock IMO.

You mention pulling a boat, hauling firewood, etc. The only downfall with the wolverine is the springs...there have been a handful of people, myself included, whose springs sagged badly after a short amount of riding(100 miles or so). So loading up the bed would not fair too well without some correction-like a lift kit, replacement springs, etc. The vikings had this same problem, only it was much more wide spread than we have seen here so far. To fix it easily, people removed the stock springs and replaced them with stock "Viking VI" springs, which were much stiffer.

There are several members on here who have plow setups, no real complaints that I have heard as of yet. Again the only limiter would be the springs, if you happened to be one of the few who had issues like me. As for trail riding, this one is truly a no brainer, the viking cannot even compare to the wolverine in comfort or capability. At least, not stock vs. stock anyway.

Just my 2cents.

FTM

EDIT: I'm an idiot. Just realized after rereading your original post that you were considering a used Rhino. Other members mentioned the Viking. I will let someone else compare merits with the rhino as I have less experience with them. Now you know a bit about vikings LOL.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I use mine for pulling a box blade, trail mower. More so with the box blade.

PICT0020.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like a Viking would be a better machine for you.
I drove the Viking and was underwhelmed. Although the dimensions aren't too far off, it rode bigger and felt much bigger overall. Didn't like the seating position either. My boat is light, and it's a flat tow...I have a WDH for my ATV currently, and it tows it just fine. Tongue weight isn't much. I'm not talking about weighing it down with firewood, as this will primarily be a toy for me, but used for chores that my quad is currently doing. I tow a yard trailer with a 1000 lb capacity, so we're not talking about a ton of weight. Just seems like most use it as a sport UTV. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
198 Posts
the Viking is huge, you meet it on the trail, it takes up the whole rd. yes if you want to keep the sport feel you cannot go wrong with the wolverine, the only issue you might have is bed space, which is the only issue I have with it, I primary hunt with mine

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
the Viking is huge, you meet it on the trail, it takes up the whole rd. yes if you want to keep the sport feel you cannot go wrong with the wolverine, the only issue you might have is bed space, which is the only issue I have with it, I primary hunt with mine
Not to start an argument, but you realize Yamaha lists specs of the Viking as 1.2 inches wider than the wolverine. From a trail riding standpoint it's hands down the wolverine over the Viking.

Only reason I recommend the Viking because it sounded like the OP wanted a more utility machine and the steel dump bed of the Viking would be nice

·
Registered
198 Posts
look before this turns into another big debate, all I said is they look huge when you meet them on the trail, very wide looking machines, I know what the specs say on it, and I was not knocking your recommendation at all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rhino vs Wolverine

I had a 2008 Rhino 700 I think it was an 08. Used it for all the same reasons you mentioned. Loved it worked great for everything including trail riding. Really had a hard time letting it go but I traded it in on a Wolverine EPS RSPEC. love it more still does everything I needed it to do but better EPS makes tight yard maneuvering so much easier. I don't miss dump bed at all and never really used on the rhino because for work I use a 2 wheel all terrain trailer from Tracktor Supply that dumps and swivels and goes any where. I think its capacity is also 1500 just like Wolverine. The best part is that the the Wolvey is way way more fun in the trails as you can read on this forum. I have no regrets on my trade!

·
Registered
198 Posts
As long as you don't burn the clutches trying to back up in the Pioneer.
I have not heard of Honda having any problems have u? Honda pioneer is about the only machine I would have bought over my Yamaha
but they was way too proud of them price wise, and would not drop a dime off them

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not to start an argument, but you realize Yamaha lists specs of the Viking as 1.2 inches wider than the wolverine. From a trail riding standpoint it's hands down the wolverine over the Viking.

Only reason I recommend the Viking because it sounded like the OP wanted a more utility machine and the steel dump bed of the Viking would be nice
Dump bed isn't a deal breaker as my trailer dumps. And I do agree, while the specs are close the Viking drives and looks much larger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I drove a camo rspec with eps...drives nice. The power steering is really nice to have. I'm going to see what Yamaha does this fall, if they release something "the east coast guys" have been waiting for. Whether it's a 50" version or a four seater like the patent article shows. I'll wind up with the rspec anyway I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts