Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a rumor today Yamaha is going to release a new sport sxs , from what I heard its going to be a sport but without the manual transmission! Something more towards trail riding , not just a wide open dune machine like the YXZ

·
Registered
91 Posts
That's what my dealer told me. Said it would be better for the east than the yxz. Curious to see what else they will come out with.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Rumor has it around here that it is a 4 seat yxz 1000 yamaha trade marks have been found in Europe for a name with 4 ... undisclosed if it is a Wolverine or yxz. Yamaha has stated many times they will not run the yxz on a cvt or automatic so your shit out of luck as far as I see it for a trail version with that motor unless they do gear reduction from factory. If my money was to go on yamaha history after releasing a new model they will release something on the same platform but with more seats.

Yamaha very rarely changes a machines motor or basic platform with in 5 years of its release .. so I think we are stuck with a 700 Wolverine for many years to come

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rumor has it around here that it is a 4 seat yxz 1000 yamaha trade marks have been found in Europe for a name with 4 ... undisclosed if it is a Wolverine or yxz. Yamaha has stated many times they will not run the yxz on a cvt or automatic so your shit out of luck as far as I see it for a trail version with that motor unless they do gear reduction from factory. If my money was to go on yamaha history after releasing a new model they will release something on the same platform but with more seats.

Yamaha very rarely changes a machines motor or basic platform with in 5 years of its release .. so I think we are stuck with a 700 Wolverine for many years to come
I have no problem with my Wolvrine whatsoever! I would just like to see them be more competitive in this market! I think it would benefit us all if they do with accessories and add ons, I mean look at the Rhino all the aftermarket for it that has now shifted to the rzr. Im going to go out on a limb and guess a 1k twin like in a super tenere! Maybe cvt maybe auto shift like the fjr!

·
Engineer
1,819 Posts
What they should do is make a shift-able oil bath cvt system. That way there are still no gears, but you can hold the cvt in a set of gear like settings which automatically convert from manual to automatic modes. Suzuki did it on a fly-by-wire system, no reason you couldn't add the paddle shifters.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Yamaha has already been in talks with Tubeworks. I'm sure the next model will have options for lower gear ratio's. The YXZ is a perfect sport trail rider with a low first gear. Already bought the 70/30 reduction, Rekluse, trans oil cooler and kevlar clutch disc pack.

With that being said, the Wolverine is just a much more friendly cruiser and at a much much better price point. We talking at least a $8K difference between the 2. Everyone wanting a 1000 Wolverine will not want to pay the price for it I'm sure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not that they asked me, but why not use an atv style transmission in a sxs. 5 speed high/low range, seems like that would be a great idea. My 02 Arctic cat is still going great no manual clutch or belt to burn up.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Not that they asked me, but why not use an atv style transmission in a sxs. 5 speed high/low range, seems like that would be a great idea. My 02 Arctic cat is still going great no manual clutch or belt to burn up.
Honda pioneer 500 uses the same transmission as my old foreman.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
I don't expect much out of them in the future. They two variations they came up with for the wolverine were the Alpine and SE versions, which are pretty much just trim changes. The only thing I see them doing is a 4 seater, but not sure how that would be all that much different than the 6 seater Viking.

I hope I'm wrong would be cool to see something different.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They said 5 new models in 5 years. We have the Viking, Wolverine, and XYZ. I'm hopeful that we'll see a new model and not just a variation of an existing one. Maybe some more direct competition to the RZR S and trail platforms. Time will tell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some keen eyed people noticed on the CARB website the new 998 motor and the YXZ platform a few weeks before the Sept 1 launch. Good place to confirm rumours I would guess.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought I saw somewhere that the name trademarked in Europe was for a 4 seater Wolverine. I think that would work pretty well if they do like the Teryx and make the bed smaller and keep the wheelbase short.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I agree with Trev...Yamaha came out with the Viking, then the Viking IV, then the Wolverine, then the YXZ, now the Wolverine X4. That makes 5 models in 5 years, and they kept their promise. Disappointing, yes, but more likely than a real hot rod trail machine for the east coast guys.

Then again...I heard from a guy who knows a guy, that the next release would be for the east coast guys, and they would really like it...so who knows. I personally wouldn't even consider a 4 seat machine where I ride, it wouldn't have the turning radius needed for the tight trails.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I'm still thinking we have 2 more new machines coming. Viking, Wolverine, YXZ..#4..#5..? Immediately after the release of the YXZ I was watching some live feed and the question came up about what's next and a Yamaha guy said it would be a machine for the Rocks/Hills/Mud guys... Just like always all we can do is speculate and stir the rumor mill.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I'm still thinking we have 2 more new machines coming. Viking, Wolverine, YXZ..#4..#5..? Immediately after the release of the YXZ I was watching some live feed and the question came up about what's next and a Yamaha guy said it would be a machine for the Rocks/Hills/Mud guys... Just like always all we can do is speculate and stir the rumor mill.
Interesting...the more I think about it, after reading THIS article, it does make sense that there are two more I suppose. A 17' model and an 18' model. I hear that same thing on the live feed you are talking about, which confirmed what I heard from my friend, so who knows...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Is it 3 or 4 new ones already? There's the Viking and Viking VI. Are those considered 2 different models?

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Is it 3 or 4 new ones already? There's the Viking and Viking VI. Are those considered 2 different models?
That's what I'm torn about...on one hand, it could be two different models, but on the other, it could be one, since they planned on releasing the 5 new models THROUGH the year 2018. I dunno...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts