Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what made people choose the Wolverine X4 over a Honda Pioneer 1000/1000-5, or if the Pioneer was ever even a consideration? I could understand with the wolverine 700 and the Pioneer since price is so different and the wolverine definitely rides better. After driving the Honda and the X4 and the price between the both I would buy the Honda but just wanted to know other peoples thoughts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my X4 (our first ATV) without seeing the Honda. I was actually at the dealership to look at a non-current Wolverine and my wife noticed the X4 in the showroom (love at first sight). What attracted us was the rear seating and I liked that it was on the smaller platform with the 850cc motor. I had previously taken her for rides in an AC Prowler and a Ranger - and she hated it - loud, harsh and jerky. The X4 in comparison was so quiet and smooth.

I have never driven a Honda but do have respect for the brand and quality associated with it. A few weeks after we bought theX4 I went to a Honda dealer to look at the Pioneer - my impression was that it seemed huge compared to the X4, and the rear seats were crap - like sitting on the floor - and I did climb in there to make an honest comparison. Yeah the X4 you have to twist to get into the seat but once you are there it is roomy and comfortable, and the great sight line......

So I didn't really choose the X4 over the Pioneer, however after looking at the Pioneer I was satisfied that we made the right choice for our needs. I like that 4 can comfortably sit and socialize and the X4 is so nimble and fun on the trails. The lack of tilt bed is no big deal for us.

We all need to look at our needs and buy the product that best fits them.

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Never drove the Honda but:

-Replacing a $90 belt vs the cost of a Honda transmission
-Although it's a different model, saw vids of 700-4's crappy climbing abilities
-FIL's friend has a brand new Honda 500 SxS model that he brought over and that the transmission sounded horrible.
-Rear seats suitable for stick figures
-I rarely ever used my Viking's dump bed and trying to secure things in that bed was a PITA
-Honda is 63" wide and X4 is 60", some trail width restriction gates are strict at 60" in some places
-Yamaha knows how to do grab bars. Polaris and Honda don't
-Are there even any hop-ups/upgrades you can do to a Honda?
-I bleed blue so I'm obviously biased

Reactions: 1slo_CR

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like my Yamaha I also have a YZ450F but I have always been a big fan of Honda too. The Pioneer Is definitely quieter but the seats in the back are very very uncomfortable. The seats in the back of the Wolverine X4 are definitely more comfortable but there isn't a whole lot of room if you don't have four people, and I sure wouldn't want to haul wood chips or dirt back there or I don't think those seat sliders would work very well. It will be a couple years before I get a new SXS so who knows what all will be different by then(probably everything)!

·
Registered
494 Posts
To comment on an older thread, to many electronics on the honda, and clutch issues. They need to keep the fancy electronics to a minimum, KISS!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Well since it's back to the top.

For me it was the P1000 clutch failures. I was told the DCT don't lock the 1st gear clutch until 4 mph. I need to be able to creep at times.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My brother has a pioneer 5 delux. It’s well built and has good power. The 4 wheel drive system works really good to.
But it’s to tall and wide for our trails up here and the constant switching of gears at low to moderate speeds is really ackward and annoying. Not for me. Much happier with my wolverine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had a 2014 Viking 3 seater for many years...then started having an occasional "plus one". We went and looked at many of the 4 seaters out there and one of the easiest to omit was the Honda, for one specific reason. All you have to do is sit in the back of one of those and you will know what I mean! The seats themselves are very uncomfortable and not very far above where your feet go. When you're sitting in it your knees are up around your chin!
We went back and forth between the Terry and the X4....once I figured out how I was going to overcome the storage/hauling issue (remedy in progress) , we were sold!

·
Registered
651 Posts
ive never sat in the back of a Honda 1000-5 but then again if i buy the machine i wont be the one sitting in the back lol. I think they are a solid machine and really considered buying one before i bought my wolverine rspec. My biggest turn off for the Honda is the seating position. Its just not sporty enough i think its more in the class of ranger, gator, defender, Viking than the sport utility class. Im waiting patiently for Honda to make a true sport utility.

19 Posts
I had a 1000-5 that I sold to get the X4. The Pioneer is a great machine that yes, has a few things over on the X4. But overall the X4 is a much better trail machine than the 1000 if you ride a lot of tight wood trails which I do. I will miss the power and get up and go of the 1000 and it rode nicer due to greater suspention travel, but it was also louder, much hotter in the cab, the rear seats were kind of a joke unless you had young kids that were the only ones to ride back there, and the pioneer was a mother bear to ease over technical stuff with as jerky and the clutch engaged. Seriously, I think I gave myself whiplash a time or two from trying to "ease" over stuff...lol.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I had a 1000-5 that I sold to get the X4. The Pioneer is a great machine that yes, has a few things over on the X4. But overall the X4 is a much better trail machine than the 1000 if you ride a lot of tight wood trails which I do. I will miss the power and get up and go of the 1000 and it rode nicer due to greater suspention travel, but it was also louder, much hotter in the cab, the rear seats were kind of a joke unless you had young kids that were the only ones to ride back there, and the pioneer was a mother bear to ease over technical stuff with as jerky and the clutch engaged. Seriously, I think I gave myself whiplash a time or two from trying to "ease" over stuff...lol.
Do you notice much of a difference between 69 hp and 77 hp? Maybe things will even out after you mod your clutch. Did you hear this pipe? The sound alone has to be good for 8hp. :D

19 Posts
I want to hear that Big Gun in person! Sounds good though even through a computer.

I don't notice the power difference at all from a standstill. The X4 is just as quick feeling of the line and pulls just as hard. Where I notice it is at cruising speed when you hit the gas. The 1000 would take off no matter what speed you were in but not the X4. The closer you get to the top end the less guts it has and it begins to feel really sluggish but like you said, I'm hoping some clutch work will solve that.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Try to get one for your review! I have power all the time in the X2 but above 40 the punch isn't there as I would expect. But I don't have a P1000 to compare it to.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I looked at the Honda, some neat but poorly implemented features, back seats are terrible for adults, I had a tilt bed on my teryx, never used it accept for maintenance. Honda is to big to load into pickup. Mostly the nightmare stories of Honda refusing to do warranty work turned me off. I have no regrets with the x4, I just wish they made one like it years ago.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks like I'm 6 months late to this party but I narrowed it down to these 2 and figure that someone might someday find my reasoning helpful.

I'm a motorcycle guy so for me it had to be either the Honda or Yamaha. I trust Honda and Yamaha equally for reliability. A lot of my favorite trails don't have cell reception and I'm not a mechanic. I can fix and change tires and solve basic electrical and fueling issues but that's pretty much it, so getting stranded with kids is not an option.

Where I live, there is a max wheelbase limitation to make it street legal, that leaves the Honda and Yamaha as the Polaris General is too long.

A lot of the trails around me are narrow with sharp turns. In the X4 I can get up trails that usually are only wide enough for ATV's. The Honda 4" extra width could be a problem, or at least it would get scratched up a lot worse.

Also, I prefer the front seats of the X4 too, they keep you in place better than the bench seat of the Pioneer. Not sure how I could use that Pioneer center front seat. Don't want an adult pressed up that hard against me (unless she's super hot). Maybe if you have 3 kids older than car seat age but under 12?

I carry 4 people almost every time out. Rear seat comfort for adults matters. The Pioneer just doesn't cut it past maybe 30 minutes, if that. The X4 rear seats are actually more comfy than the front, because they are the same seats but lean back a touch more.

If 2 of those 4 people are my wife and daughter, they have an upper limit. This means that they get out if I'm wanting to get crazy. They also are done after a pretty short ride. My son and I on the other hand can go try to kill ourselves all day. That means that the load is constantly changing, so the self-leveling rear shocks are a huge plus.

Around here, it's harder to get a decent discount on the Honda. For the price difference OTD, I built out my X4 SE exactly how I wanted it for less than the price of the Pioneer stock, which made the X4 that much better. Someday I can add Walker Evans shocks, upgraded ECU and sheave kit, and still be about to the same price.

I think you can't go wrong either way, just need to pick the one that suits your needs better.

I liked the Honda quite a bit, might have chosen it if the rear seats were better. It's probably better flat out in the desert and if you need a tilt bed then it's a no brainer. But for my usage, the Yamaha is just a better machine all around.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks like I'm 6 months late to this party but I narrowed it down to these 2 and figure that someone might someday find my reasoning helpful.

I'm a motorcycle guy so for me it had to be either the Honda or Yamaha. I trust Honda and Yamaha equally for reliability. A lot of my favorite trails don't have cell reception and I'm not a mechanic. I can fix and change tires and solve basic electrical and fueling issues but that's pretty much it, so getting stranded with kids is not an option.

Where I live, there is a max wheelbase limitation to make it street legal, that leaves the Honda and Yamaha as the Polaris General is too long.

A lot of the trails around me are narrow with sharp turns. In the X4 I can get up trails that usually are only wide enough for ATV's. The Honda 4" extra width could be a problem, or at least it would get scratched up a lot worse.

Also, I prefer the front seats of the X4 too, they keep you in place better than the bench seat of the Pioneer. Not sure how I could use that Pioneer center front seat. Don't want an adult pressed up that hard against me (unless she's super hot). Maybe if you have 3 kids older than car seat age but under 12?

I carry 4 people almost every time out. Rear seat comfort for adults matters. The Pioneer just doesn't cut it past maybe 30 minutes, if that. The X4 rear seats are actually more comfy than the front, because they are the same seats but lean back a touch more.

If 2 of those 4 people are my wife and daughter, they have an upper limit. This means that they get out if I'm wanting to get crazy. They also are done after a pretty short ride. My son and I on the other hand can go try to kill ourselves all day. That means that the load is constantly changing, so the self-leveling rear shocks are a huge plus.

Around here, it's harder to get a decent discount on the Honda. For the price difference OTD, I built out my X4 SE exactly how I wanted it for less than the price of the Pioneer stock, which made the X4 that much better. Someday I can add Walker Evans shocks, upgraded ECU and sheave kit, and still be about to the same price.

I think you can't go wrong either way, just need to pick the one that suits your needs better.

I liked the Honda quite a bit, might have chosen it if the rear seats were better. It's probably better flat out in the desert and if you need a tilt bed then it's a no brainer. But for my usage, the Yamaha is just a better machine all around.
Super hot chicks prefer the Wolverine over the Pioneer 2-1.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I second that!!!:beerchug:

Reactions: Budro2

·
Registered
104 Posts
I couldn't drive the Pioneer 1000-5 because there was a stop sale on them in my AO, some corrosion issue with the throttle that may have caused it to stick in the open position. The main reason was because the rear seats were not very impressive. Also the reviews favored the Wolverine X4.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts