Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gotta tell ya, I love my wolverine, but if I was in the market for a 4 seater, Pioneer hands down. The X4 can barely be used for utility purposes. At least the pioneers back seats fold down and turn into a cargo bed. X4 couldn't even haul a deer out the woods. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I can see both sides of the argument. I think the X4 would be nice on the trails and it would fit in my garage between our vehicles and the pioneer wouldn't. I do like how the Pioneer 1000 goes 65 mph when I go down county roads and the pioneer is definitely quieter. You could put a deer in the back of the X4 with no problems but would hate to clean the blood and guts out of the guide rails LOL. I do think that the price on the X4 is a little steep but in a couple of months they will have rebates.

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Reactions: MORSNO

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I can see both sides of the argument. I think the X4 would be nice on the trails and it would fit in my garage between our vehicles and the pioneer wouldn't. I do like how the Pioneer 1000 goes 65 mph when I go down county roads and the pioneer is definitely quieter. You could put a deer in the back of the X4 with no problems but would hate to clean the blood and guts out of the guide rails LOL. I do think that the price on the X4 is a little steep but in a couple of months they will have rebates.
I'm surprised it's quieter unless you're including road noise from tires, which can be remedied. I'm hoping by early next year we'll have a solution for 60 MPH. I've already defeated the electronic speed limiter (now just need to defeat it mechanically):

http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum/162-wolverine-x4-general-discussion/19034-you-shall-not-pass-51-mph-defeating-stupid-limitation.html

I'm surprised none of the ATV/SxS mags/reviewers has done a 1000-5 vs X4 comparison yet (yes I already know about the paper-spec comparisons, I mean trail test)

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
40 Posts
For me these were the two machines I had it narrowed down to. After driving both and for my uses I felt the wolverine was a better fit for me. As far as noise goes the Honda is a lot louder then the wolverine by far. Also the on going Honda clutch issues and heat issues was also a factor in my decision. I thought the dct would be the way to go but really didn’t like it after driving one, seems really jerky. I think the Honda is a great machine and every year there getting more and more of the bugs out. Would be interested to see a trail comparison on both machines.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We did a decibel reading on the pioneer 3 seater and a wolverine X4 and the wolverine was 8 decibels louder then the Honda at idle, 10mph and 25mph. I do like the fact the wolverine will fit in a long box truck that would be so nice!

·
Engineer
1,775 Posts
I wouldn't want to clean the blood out of either one. That's why you buy cheap tarps at Harbor Freight, makes a hell of a lot easier to lift between two people. And then there's the $3300 transmission that goes out on the Honda, which you can't repair, have to be a drop in. Personally, I prefer the Ultramatic CVT clutch. I'm sure there will be long travel suspension and upgraded shocks for the X4 before too long, the Socal people will dune it I'm sure.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We did a decibel reading on the pioneer 3 seater and a wolverine X4 and the wolverine was 8 decibels louder then the Honda at idle, 10mph and 25mph. I do like the fact the wolverine will fit in a long box truck that would be so nice!
Wow you must have had a different Honda Pioneer then the one my buddy has. The gear train noise is really loud when you pick up speed. I agree they are both very quiet at idle but once your moving there’s was no comparison. Did you run them on street? Then I could see the yamaha making some noise the tires are noisy on pavement.

·
Registered
105 Posts
We just did it on a gravel road. I was surprised too I thought they were similar but we did use a three seater instead of a five seater which would probably make more noise.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You could technically haul a deer out with the X4, but the guide rail clean up would be a pain. I do a lot of hauling corn to feeders etc, so then there's even more of an issue keeping the rails clean of debris. I guess my point is if I had to choose a model to carry more people it would be something other than an X4 or a pioneer - I forgot about the transmission issues on pioneer. It seems the X4 is really geared toward trail riders and not a trail/utility combo like the wolverine. If I had to choose a model so that I could carry more folks plus do the stuff I need to do on the farm it would be the regular Viking. I love the wolverine, but it would be nice to be able to occasionally carry more folks around the woods when we're joy riding/looking around/scouting, and still be able to work from it without constantly cleaning the cargo bed.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’m pretty sure someone will eventually come out with a tray that will extend the box by keeping the gate down and will also cover the rails! I pick up my x4 tomorrow!! One reason I didn’t go Honda, seats!!!! Has anyone rode in the back of the Honda??? The seats don’t even have headrests and barely have foot wells!! Yes it has everything else dialed in but if they had just put in better seats and more rear leg room I would have bought it!!

I can’t ask my friends to come haul around off-road with their knees at their ears and give them whiplash at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I custom cut a rubber mat that I bought at Tractor Supply to fit the bed of my Wolverine R-spec to make it easier to clean and to cut down on heat from the muffler on things in the bed. All I do is take out the mat that just lays in place and hose it off. I used a 3/8" thick mat but you could use the same type of material in 1/4" to cover the bed of the X4 if all your doing is keeping mud off of the seat rails. There are a lot of different rolled mat materials and some aren't to expensive. Tractor Supply online carries several different types. Sometime you can get the scraps from the end of a roll at Tractor Supply for nearly nothing and the scrap may be big enough to fit the bed. Here is a similar product I'm talking about. https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/rubber-roll/residential-rubber-roll.html
DSCN4165.JPG
DSCN4167.JPG

Reactions: Abell34

·
Registered
510 Posts
I did the same thing but used those foam rubber mats used on karate gym floors. The heat melted the plastic bed just above the heat shield.
I custom cut a rubber mat that I bought at Tractor Supply to fit the bed of my Wolverine R-spec to make it easier to clean and to cut down on heat from the muffler on things in the bed. All I do is take out the mat that just lays in place and hose it off. I used a 3/8" thick mat but you could use the same type of material in 1/4" to cover the bed of the X4 if all your doing is keeping mud off of the seat rails. There are a lot of different rolled mat materials and some aren't to expensive. Tractor Supply online carries several different types. Sometime you can get the scraps from the end of a roll at Tractor Supply for nearly nothing and the scrap may be big enough to fit the bed. Here is a similar product I'm talking about. https://www.rubberflooringinc.com/rubber-roll/residential-rubber-roll.html
View attachment 55194
View attachment 55202

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
I think the mat material I got at Tractor Supply is used in a lot of instances in horse trailers for flooring to keep livestock from slipping as easy. Material is extremely durable. It shows hardly any signs of wear and it has been in my Wolverine for 2,100 miles now. No signs of the underneath side of my plastic bed, over the heat shield, ever getting hot enough to melt, I do make a point of pressure washing the top of the heat shield whenever the Wolverine gets a bath.

·
Registered
22 Posts
well i tried both and the seats + driver position is what really got me, you can be in the x4 for hours in any of the front seats and will not get cramp. the back seat are way more comfortable on the x4 too.

Reactions: MassiveOverkill

·
Registered
268 Posts
I concur, it’s what pulled my deposit back on the Pioneer , and with the kids all seats were just better , I must say yes one thing I don’t like is the turning in driveway etc with the rear wheels always locked , I am unaware of any fix for that except to take a wide berth , I felt the write up was excellent and very fair to all brands tested . Today I went on a rip and there was a pioneer 1000 on it, he was very happy with the x4, but very worried above it belt breakage, where it’s my first belt bike I couldn’t comment one way or the other , but he definitely thought the x4 would be popular

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,570 Posts

1 - 19 of 19 Posts