Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the Maverick Sport may not be in the same category as the Wolverine but they are both recently released machines and around 60".
I have been a BRP fan and currently own an Outlander 650 and a Summit 800. I wanted to buy a Commander but they really haven't changed them since the release in 2011.
The Maverick Trail (50") was narrower than I felt comfortable with and I did not like the high/narrow doors hitting my elbows so I ended up purchasing the Wolverine X2 R-Spec.
I recently got to test the Maverick Sport as I was curious about the wider platform and the new wider curved doors.
The Sport does have more power of course as it was the 1000R rated at 100HP but the noise was definitely louder. This was the biggest disappointment as the wife and I had to yell back and forth at each other at anything more than an idle. Fit and finish is very good on both machines with the Maverick having nicer switches and a slightly more solid feel.
The longer wheelbase did help the Sport ride smoother and feel more predictable at higher speeds. I am not sure what the top speed was but I know it would do 65mph which is considerably more than the Wolverine.
The seats in both are very comfortable but you sit much lower in the Sport and visibility suffers because of this. It was much easier getting in and out of the Sport and the doors were great as I never felt cramped. There are a couple of glove boxes (small drivers and large passenger) in the dash of the Sport but we did miss the center console storage and the extra room in the rear box. The box/cargo area at the back of the Sport was quickly covered in mud along with the side mirrors. Even with the newly added fender flares, the Sport would throw mud everywhere.
The price difference between the two machines and the noise level affirmed my choice of the Wolverine.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I know the Maverick Sport may not be in the same category as the Wolverine but they are both recently released machines and around 60".
I have been a BRP fan and currently own an Outlander 650 and a Summit 800. I wanted to buy a Commander but they really haven't changed them since the release in 2011.
The Maverick Trail (50") was narrower than I felt comfortable with and I did not like the high/narrow doors hitting my elbows so I ended up purchasing the Wolverine X2 R-Spec.
I recently got to test the Maverick Sport as I was curious about the wider platform and the new wider curved doors.
The Sport does have more power of course as it was the 1000R rated at 100HP but the noise was definitely louder. This was the biggest disappointment as the wife and I had to yell back and forth at each other at anything more than an idle. Fit and finish is very good on both machines with the Maverick having nicer switches and a slightly more solid feel.
The longer wheelbase did help the Sport ride smoother and feel more predictable at higher speeds. I am not sure what the top speed was but I know it would do 65mph which is considerably more than the Wolverine.
The seats in both are very comfortable but you sit much lower in the Sport and visibility suffers because of this. It was much easier getting in and out of the Sport and the doors were great as I never felt cramped. There are a couple of glove boxes (small drivers and large passenger) in the dash of the Sport but we did miss the center console storage and the extra room in the rear box. The box/cargo area at the back of the Sport was quickly covered in mud along with the side mirrors. Even with the newly added fender flares, the Sport would throw mud everywhere.
The price difference between the two machines and the noise level affirmed my choice of the Wolverine.
I was in the same boat as you just a few months ago. It's a toughie... The X2 is better in almost every way except suspension travel and hp. The X2 has plenty of power for the trails and the top speed of 52 is enough for almost every situation. But that 100 hp sure sounds nice, right? What it came down to for me was Yamaha quality, the Yamaha CVT and the fact that my wife has to spend a lot of time in the passenger seat. Quiet, comfortable, and cool will go a long way towards her enjoyment. Plus, we can get that X2 over 60 mph when we decide to make the upgrades.

I went with the X2 and haven't regretted it for one second.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts