Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post with the forum, mostly because I am having some serious problems trying to diagnose why my quad won't start.

So here's the story:

My dad was using our quad to spray the yard with weed killer.

He has a sprayer that hooks up to the quad, and the sprayer attaches to the battery in order to spray.

So he is riding along, and somehow the metal bar that goes over top of the battery makes contact with one of the connections from the sprayer and grounds the connection causing a burning smell.

Now after this happened, we were not able to start the quad. It will turn over and all the lights will work but the quad will not start.

So far we have tried replacing the coil (no dice) and last night attempted to replace the CDI box which also did not work.

I'm just curious if there are more simpler components we should be checking.

It is a 2006 Yamaha Wolverine, just as a reference.

Thank you for your help in advance

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
This is the Wolverine side by side forum. Maybe someone would have some advice since they have quads also. Normally, I'd be looking at all electrical connections and fuses. Some one shorted out the battery on the side by side and just needed to replace the main fuse.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Hi there.

This forum is for the 2016+ Wolverine SxS, not the ATV. You may have better luck on a Yamaha ATV forum for specific questions about your ATV. However, maybe someone here can chime in with some helpful information in your situation. It sounds to me like you may need a service manual with the wiring diagrams in it for this issue.

EDIT:
I see D types faster LOL!

·
Registered
57 Posts
........................He has a sprayer that hooks up to the quad, and the sprayer attaches to the battery in order to spray.
So he is riding along, and somehow the metal bar that goes over top of the battery makes contact with one of the connections from the sprayer and grounds the connection causing a burning smell.
Now after this happened, we were not able to start the quad. It will turn over and all the lights will work but the quad will not start. ...........
Could the battery be weak? A short on the battery will tend to drain the battery. A weak battery can still turn the starter motor and make the lights glow, as those are not voltage sensitive devices. The CDI is voltage sensitive and can fail to spark the plug if the voltage droops too low, especially while the starter motor is pulling the voltage down.

Check the battery voltage, with the ignition key in the off position, with a decent voltmeter. A fully charged battery should read right around 12.7 Volts, within a tenth of a volt or so. 12 volts is a half discharged battery. If it is lower than that 12.7 Volts, try charging the battery up with a decent wall charger(not a trickle charger). It should take quite a few hours if it is severely discharged. Try it again after the battery is fully charged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.