Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good comparisons of these two out yet? Ive been looking almost daily and either its hasnt been published yet, or i am blind :p:p:D:D

·
Registered
718 Posts
The October Dirt Wheels has a 4 way shootout with the Wolverine, Teryx, RZR S 900, and Wildcat Sport. That's the only thing I've seen.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Go to your dealer and check one out ... thin guage tubing shocks are tiny hidden under big springs. Cheap electrical connections ... bear wires everywhere .. plastic skids no power stearing option on 2015 under the limited. Cheap interior very nice clutch access though. Small parts ... Knuckles, tie rods drive shafts ... my buddy wants the sport but not limited .. limited is nice with the stage 5 elkas but I was not a fan. V twin has good top end bottom end is about the same .. felt like acceleration on the wolverine was better but no drag race... I am not a fan of arctic cat atvs not much experience with sxs till the other day. Went to the back of dealer to the shop and they have a bloody line up out the parking g lot of wild cat 1000. 700s not so much and they sell more 700s he said so maybe build quality is better

·
Registered
242 Posts
I looked at them both read all the reviews, joined the Arctic Cat forum and asked questions. I bought the Wolverine and never looked back. One thing I did find out most Arctic Cat dealers won't even take used ones on trade, the same with Polaris dealers. No one wants used Arctic Cats, most dealers still have 2012 new models in stock that haven't sold. Trade in wise later down the road your better of not buying a Cat......

Reactions: TRev

·
Registered
718 Posts
So how did Wolverine do in shootout? Been looking for it on web cant find it.
I will double check tomorrow (keep forgetting to dig the issue back out), but, if I remember right, the only places it came up short against the wildcat was in the top speed run. Overall, they said the RZR was the best of the 4 machines, but the Wolvie was the best bang for your buck. Gotta take these shootouts with a grain of salt because they are done over the course of maybe a few days and not long term, so the well know Polaris reliability issues most of the time won't be seen there.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Arctic cats are very capable machines but I agree with everyone when they say the quality/finish/engineering isnt as good as you would hope.

They do look awesome though

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice, yeah i looked at the cat briefly but i bleed yamaha blue, and am more than happy with my purchase, i just want to see how people are comparing them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ok, I reread the article this morning, and there were only 4 areas where the cat came out on top of the Wolvie. They said it had the most comfortable seats of all 4 buggies in the shootout, it does have a higher top speed, the longer suspension travel makes it better in high speed choppy riding, and the belt was easier to get to for maintenance. At the end for their conclusion, they said that the Wolverine was the best bang for your buck, as well as the best of the 4 (except on high speed whoops where the 2 with longer travel would shine). They actually recommended the RZR over the Cat because the prices are so close together and you get the 900 vs a 700.

Reactions: mifrank67

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Was out riding earlier today with my buddy that had a trail cat. While I understand the 2 are kind of appealing to difference areas of the market all I can say wasn't really impressed. We swapped for a little while. First thing I noticed was it must be a higher rpm or maybe the exhaust cause I stood on it sounded like I was going fast looked down 30. With a non eps model it reminded me of why I paid extra to get it on my wolverine.

Not sure if its completely fair comparison because his stock tires don't look very good, but the wolverine is far better in the snow (8-10 inches).

He got a good deal on it. It's a 13 but he bought it new this year, been sitting at the dealership for a while. I'm sure it has its place but not too many people can like them if it sat there for 2 years before he bought it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have an official comparison, other than I owned a 2014 Wildcat trail, and now have a 2016 Wolverine. Simply put, the Arctic Cat was junk. I owned it for less than two years. Here's a list of what went wrong. Gauge went black. Front cv joints started making clicking sounds, it squeaked and rattled like an old farm truck after a couple of hundred miles. It sits low and hit every bump or rock in the trail, and it rode like a bulldozer. The fuel injection would get into a loop where the engine would "gallop" like an old detroit diesel. The clutching became abrupt, and the transmission was making a loud racheting sound whenever we went down the slightest hill and was off the gas. Finally the drivers door, fell off. Now bear in mind, I'm in my 50's and all my wife and I do is light trail riding. We don't beat on our stuff. We bought the Cat because we thought we needed a 50 inch machine. We traded it in for the Wolverine, and it is better in every single area but brute engine power. However, since the Wilcat engine is made by Kymco, I am fine with less horsepower, and have more trsut in the Yamaha single over the Kymco twin. I tell people that I traded in my sports car and bought a luxury 4X4 pickup truck. And I LOVE the Wolverine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts