Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new sxs. Live up in NE PA. Ride in PA and NY mostly tight woods trails. I would say I ride aggressively. I have a Ranger that I am keeping for utility work, so this next one is for fun only.

I like the RZR 900s, but there seems to be reliability issues.

Looking at the Wolverine but there seems to be a lot less activity out here on the forum versus the RZR forum.

How is everyone liking there Wolverines in the woods? Any problems? Anyone drive both machines.

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey river rock

Hi river rock I can honestly say I have no experience with rzrs or any other sxs for that matter .my wolverine is my first sxs I love the thing it handles like a dream on tight trails it's very comfortable .I bought mine because I had a 93 Kodiak and 08 grizzly so went strictly on quality no complaints at all

·
Registered
510 Posts
I got rid of my rzr800 and bought a wolverine and won't look back. Sure its not the 900 but I have driven and rode in 900's quite a few times. rzr going to be faster but not as reliable as the Yamaha. I ride pretty hard and the wolverine gives me my fix. My opinion...

·
Registered
25 Posts
i had and arctic cat trail it was faster but all i did was work on it...my bud has a rzr 900 xp and he has little over 3,000 miles on it and diff bearings are out...my other bud has a rhino 700 over 3,000 miles no problems plus everyting i read on the rzrs is maintanance..so i got my wolverine and never looked back i love it...only time a rzr is better is on an open road for top end

·
Registered
718 Posts
In tight woods trails, I would put the Wolverine against anything out there. Sure just about any RZR will outrun one when you get into the wide open flat out running, but I've put mine through its paces on a local XC course and it's done everything I've ever needed it to. If I was a more capable race driver, I would have no problem entering a race out there and expecting to compete, if I was a better driver that is lol.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I had the polaris 570 midsize before the wolverine and it was narrower and had a shorter wheel than the wolverine so made it easier to get through the timber,but I am still using the same trails,but have had to widen them out in some areas.the rock guards at the back wheels sure help to deflect off trees or stumps.as far as water bars on the roads it has no problems as the wheel base is still shorter than your 900.

·
Banned
504 Posts
I traded a rzr for my wolverine
yamaha quality and components are just so much better
the wolvy will run with any sxs in tight woods trails

I'm in the market for a new sxs. Live up in NE PA. Ride in PA and NY mostly tight woods trails. I would say I ride aggressively. I have a Ranger that I am keeping for utility work, so this next one is for fun only.

I like the RZR 900s, but there seems to be reliability issues.

Looking at the Wolverine but there seems to be a lot less activity out here on the forum versus the RZR forum.

How is everyone liking there Wolverines in the woods? Any problems? Anyone drive both machines.

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I traded a rzr for my wolverine
yamaha quality and components are just so much better
the wolvy will run with any sxs in tight woods trails
I'd think we should be comparing 2016 models to other 2016 models. Seems the Wolverine has its share of problems as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've looked at both myself, but currently own neither. I'm not sure the two machines are suited for a direct side by side comparsion (double meaning intended). However, I can see how both appeal to the same buyer...as I'm one of those potential buyers. I'm very interested in hearing from those who have direct experience with both.

P.S. They sure do hate on the Wolvy in the RZR forum, but what else would you expect.

·
Registered
48 Posts
im in s.w. Pa. and all i ride is tight woods trails. all of my buddies that i ride with have rzrs and they do have their share of problems, alot more than ive seen or had from yamahas. im talking 2 blew up, overheating, bent aarms, one guys steering wheel fell off!!! and more lmfao!! anyway the last ride i was on my buddies were pretty impressd with the wolvy. he even said " damn i was doin 40-45 thru the woods and couldnt get away from you!" and another guy (commander) asked what size motor i had and i said 700 why. he said holy crap, i have a 1,000 and could barely keep up with you! only time will tell how reliable the wolvy is but i expect it to be just as good as the rhino or viking. i had the viking..... the wolvy is so much better IMHO!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've looked at both myself, but currently own neither. I'm not sure the two machines are suited for a direct side by side comparsion (double meaning intended). However, I can see how both appeal to the same buyer...as I'm one of those potential buyers. I'm very interested in hearing from those who have direct experience with both.

P.S. They sure do hate on the Wolvy in the RZR forum, but what else would you expect.
You mean like the PoPo hating here? Lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
o and the reason theres not as much activity on the wolverine forums is cuz we are actually out riding and not wrenching!! hahahaha.....sorry couldnt resist :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

·
Registered
103 Posts
im in s.w. Pa. and all i ride is tight woods trails. all of my buddies that i ride with have rzrs and they do have their share of problems, alot more than ive seen or had from yamahas. im talking 2 blew up, overheating, bent aarms, one guys steering wheel fell off!!! and more lmfao!! anyway the last ride i was on my buddies were pretty impressd with the wolvy. he even said " damn i was doin 40-45 thru the woods and couldnt get away from you!" and another guy (commander) asked what size motor i had and i said 700 why. he said holy crap, i have a 1,000 and could barely keep up with you! only time will tell how reliable the wolvy is but i expect it to be just as good as the rhino or viking. i had the viking..... the wolvy is so much better IMHO!
Well,maybe a couple hundred thousand Rzr's out there compared to a few thousand Wolverines? I like the Wolverine but I like to see fair comparisons.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Your going to like the Yamaha over the Razor.

1) Price- I was able to add accessories a lot cheaper than polaris

2) Trail riding = I ride in PA tight trails to wide open. I had one location where I had to choose another path due to the width of the machine, not an issue now I mounted a chain saw. I will say the hunter works sleeve and power command are defiantly be in the future for this machine. The punch it power is not there when you come out of a small trail to wide open section. Thats just me. But for trail ride and smoothness WOW I found myself cruising with one hand most of the day on one ride. I even pushed off the rear bar to avoid hitting a tree and was impressed how they thought of this. Your not sore at the end of a ride. Oh the side door suck balls…. That dude that decide to make those 1/4 style doors never road tight trails and have a tree poke in on them. Keeps no dirt out. But wait for some quality aftermarket doors later on….

3) Diff lock: I went up one coal bank with it and was worried I would not make it put it in diff lock and L setting, went the steep hill without any issue.

I wish I could tell you more but still in the break in process. I'm happy with my purchase I looked at the Razor and for price, Yamaha was a smart choice. if I lived in the mid west 900-1000 cc would be a smart choice, but if you live in PA your not getting over 30 mph in many trails even my friend with the 800 razor said the 900-1000 is too much power for the price of what your normally doing on the trails. But research is all I can say you might find that the Razor is a better fit for you.

PM me if you have any specific questions… see you out there.

·
Banned
504 Posts
maybe I had a 2016 rzr
polaris quality has never been as good as the Japanese machines
there are no major problems with the wolverine

I'd think we should be comparing 2016 models to other 2016 models. Seems the Wolverine has its share of problems as well.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I can't speak for the rzr forum,but I am still a member of the ranger forum and when I informed them I was jumping ship and buying a wolverine they wished me luck and were curious as to how I liked it.when I am out on the trail with other machines I'm not worried about what they are riding as long as I make it home without breaking down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the responses so quickly. I have no brand loyalty. They all have their own problems. Just trying to find my next best ride. I have a Ranger 570 now along with an Outlander 800 and the wife has an Outlander 500. I'll be trading mine in for the sxs. I had an 09 RZR 800 and did not like it. Everything I did not like has really been taken care of in the 900s. I'm liking the Wolverine, just don't want to be wishing I had that extra HP.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
main reason i bought the wolverine is because of the wet clutch system. belt is always tight not slipping. much better grade breaking because of that. and the 4x4 system with diff lock. the only other one like it is the kawasaki t-rex. I had 2008 grizzly was awesome no problems never went to the dealer. had a polaris sport 400. burnt up belts. and free wheeled down hill.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
main reason i bought the wolverine is because of the wet clutch system. belt is always tight not slipping. much better grade breaking because of that. and the 4x4 system with diff lock. the only other one like it is the kawasaki t-rex. I had 2008 grizzly was awesome no problems never went to the dealer. had a polaris sport 400. burnt up belts. and free wheeled down hill.
I just got back from Hatfield & McCoy in WV. The trails were covered with from a skiff to 8-10" of wet heavy snow. They were very slick in places. The climbing ability of these Wolverines in Low with the front dif locked is amazing. We road 159 miles in 2 days and never tried a hill I didn't make it to the top of. As happy as I am with the climbing, The engine braking is even more impressive. I actually found myself stepping on the gas in places going down some pretty steep grades because the engine was braking so well.

This all being said I've never ridden or drove any other SxS (I made my purchase decision based on ease of getting my fat @$$ in and out of the cab and the comfort when I was behind the wheel) but I am extremely happy with my decision.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts