Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my son was in the Wolverine in the field beside my house, he turned to sharp and rolled the Wolverine over. He wasn't going very fast just cut it to sharp and gave it to much pedal. What surprised me was how it bent the brace behind the seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Glad he is okay. I put mine on its side once already too, glad it was a slow one I dont want test the strength of the cage ever again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Last night my son was in the Wolverine in the field beside my house, he turned to sharp and rolled the Wolverine over. He wasn't going very fast just cut it to sharp and gave it to much pedal. What surprised me was how it bent the brace behind the seat.
Scary. I hope your boy is ok. As far as fixing the damage...
I partially disassembled my roll cage to get the front plastic off my ride when I was trying to wrap it. I can tell you that the bars are light and are easy to bend by hand. The strength of the cage comes from all the pieces being bolted together. If you take the bolts out of the top crossbars, you can remove them and the roof in one piece. You can then remove the other bars and should be get them back where they were.

·
Registered
113 Posts
All factory sxs cages,no matter the company,Yamaha,Polaris,Can am,etc are made of thin wall tubing,may bend in a side roll.They are basically designed to hold the machine if it was picked up and sat back down on its' roof. A safe cage should be built out of .095 or at least .080 wall tubing,about twice the thickness of the factory cage.Prob this winter will have a cage built for mine,thicker wall & lower.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a feeling that sometimes we forget that those cages are designed to save us not the machine. I have seen every side by side bend a cage maverick commander viking rzr 800 1000... but all drivers made it out ok... I'd rather the cage do its job and be damaged then the opposite ..I agree their could be better cages but your son returned home safe so I say job well done

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also had a barrel role at 80kms an hour. Was on a road I didn't know going way to fast and came into a hair pin 90 degree turn and it hooked. We landed on a big rock and this is what it did. Lucky no one was hurt and the bar did its job and the bike only has a couple of scratches on the roof other the three bent pipe that can be replaced. lesson learned. IMG_20150724_125551.jpg

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hopefully you have insurance on the unit.I never thought about getting it on a sxs,until a couple of weeks ago_One guy we ride with rolled down a hill,it was raining & muddy,he had a few too many mountain dews.Over 14k damage,insurance paid in full.I went out the next week,got it for mine,$130 a year.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Hopefully you have insurance on the unit.I never thought about getting it on a sxs,until a couple of weeks ago_One guy we ride with rolled down a hill,it was raining & muddy,he had a few too many mountain dews.Over 14k damage,insurance paid in full.I went out the next week,got it for mine,$130 a year.
I'm not sure why anyone would not have insurance on it. Mine was covered before I even brought it home. This year I added uninsured to my policy for like $120 a year for my two machines. Too many people out on our trails without any, if they come around a corner on the wrong side and pile into me I want myself and my stuff covered

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do have insurance but the peaces are not that pricey to replace. At the end of the day my brother and I were not hurt, we were wearing our seat belts. The bike can always be fixed or replaced.

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Who are you guys insured with progressive quoted me 1,039 for the year
Ouch! I think mine is foremost through Farmer's. I pay like $250 for full coverage on the wolverine and my 13 grizzly and an additional $120 or something for uninsured on both (added the uninsured after policy)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone made or planning to build a custom cage for the Wolverine? I haven't seen any vendors offer anything yet either.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Who are you guys insured with progressive quoted me 1,039 for the year
I went through rider.com to get mine. I went to my agent that I have everything else through and they sent me to rider. Said it was going to be ridiculous through them. Rider had me with full coverage for around 400 a year. State Farm told me that they have such high rates on the sxs due to all of the minor trail damage claims that keep getting made on them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Has anyone made or planning to build a custom cage for the Wolverine? I haven't seen any vendors offer anything yet either.
I haven't seen anything from the aftermarket that is mass produced yet. There is a custom shop in my town that does some badass custom roll cages for buggies that I am eventually going to see about some bumpers, and later on, a cage. If you want to see what I am talking about check out GL Fab in Belpre Ohio on facebook

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mine is State Farm.Thought it was $130 a yr,just looked,is $146 a year,full coverage &uninsured motorist.Have house&cars with them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine is State Farm.Thought it was $130 a yr,just looked,is $146 a year,full coverage &uninsured motorist.Have house&cars with them.
Weird... My wife and I are both insured through State Farm with clean driving records, and both 40 years old, have our homeowners policy through them, and they quoted $350 a year full coverage on mine. Called Progressive and got same policy with theft coverage for $220 a year. Of course there we are in NY so that is probably why.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts