Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that on the release date of the 1000 the r spec switched from KYB shocks to FOX shocks .... wtf

·
Registered
718 Posts
Still says KYB shocks on the website.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't know that the Fox are the upgrade they used to be over some others anymore. I think the fully adjustable stock shocks are all about equal when it comes to performance. When you start to gain an edge is when you start getting into the higher end shocks like the more advanced models from Fox and Elka. Yamaha may be making this move just for brand recognition to help get the Wolverine out there. With most of the other competitors running Fox, the lesser informed buyers may be inclined to go with one of those models based off the recognition of the shock brand name.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would rather have KYB. The part that doesn't make sense is yamaha owns KYB
KYB is their own company who makes shocks for about anything you can put shocks on. They may have had a partnership with Yamaha for the last few years with the shocks on their machines, but not a part of the same company.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah they bought into kyb some years ago now. I think February of 2013

Some years ago it was a huge deal on all the other yamaha forums because everyone speculated that kyb would be put on grizzlies and other yamaha products after the purchase. KYB shocks only made it to the sleds and dirt bikes then reapeared on the R-Spec. I can't say why they changed to fox but yes in fact yamaha owns a large majority (33.4%) of KYB it's been very comon knowledge for many years

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Super Moderator
468 Posts
I wonder of the development work they did with Fox on the YXZ influenced them to change to Fox on the R-spec. Maybe larger contract means lower shock prices for Yamaha. We all know Fox can deliver the good stuff but when they go large volume supplying manufacturers the quality sometimes seems to go down. I hope that doesn't happen here.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wonder of the development work they did with Fox on the YXZ influenced them to change to Fox on the R-spec. Maybe larger contract means lower shock prices for Yamaha. We all know Fox can deliver the good stuff but when they go large volume supplying manufacturers the quality sometimes seems to go down. I hope that doesn't happen here.
That's my thoughts too, lower prices overall.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'll be bummed out if there is a switch and they are better than the KYB's, but I really don't know how they could be any better IMO. The KYB's work perfectly so far. I wonder if they are having a longevity issue with the KYB and switching to Fox because of an issue?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Dunno, but the KYB's are much better than the 900 Trails fox shocks for sure. Those things were crappy. Tried helping a buddy dial is in but it only has compression dampening adjustments :/

·
Super Moderator
468 Posts
I really don't see how quality would be an issue with the KYB since Yamaha is part owner of the builder and can correct any issues with quality.

My thinking here is that KYB is a huge manufacturer of shocks both for oe and aftermarket and they build good shocks, so if they are building a particular shock on a production line for a specific vehicle like the Wolverine I would think they would be of consistent build and quality and personally I would pick them over Fox. Now if I was buying custom shocks for a build I would choose Fox because that is what they are geared up to do.

I don't know if switching to Fox is a good thing for the overall quality in the future. I suspect the first batch to be good but quality might suffer later on unless Yamaha keeps the pressure on. I guess a lot just depends on how Yamaha handles it. I kinda hope the transition is slow and is pushed back a while unless problems start showing up with the KYB's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts