Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have seen here in the Forum where a couple of members have talked about the Fox Shocks on the Wolverine and instead of hi-jacking the thread where it was mentioned I thought I would start a new thread about the Fox Shocks. One forum member has the Wolverine with Fox Shocks, I believe he is in Canada, and another has seen a Wolverine with them, any others?

Has anyone heard anything definite on the Wolverine's KYB shocks being discontinued and being replaced with Fox Shocks, or is it just rumor?

Several months ago it was mentioned here in the forum that Fox was replacing the KYB, but dealers I've talked to seem to know nothing about it. Has anyone got any more information on what the real deal is with Fox vs KYB, or updates on the rumor mill?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I know in Canada, they're getting Fox Shocks, but I haven't heard about the US models making the change.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
just to look at them the kyb shock uses a progressive spring and fox uses a linear spring and looks like there is a lot more spring adjustment on the fox shocks than the kybs. the kyb shocks aren't serviceable so if you have any issues as I have you throw them away and buy new ones,i am not sure if the fox shocks are serviceable as they don't list them in parts yet.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The KYB shocks ARE serviceable. I have wrote you posts in your other threads stating how to service them but you again choose to ignore people that try to help you. Most KYB shocks come with a tamper proof cap on the bottom of the reservoir this cap has to be removed and replaced with a serviceable cap... Very easy job for anyone that knows how to service a shock... Canada still gets the KYB (for how long I don't know) as well as a model that comes with the fox shocks. Both dealers around here got a total of 8 of them in recently and all of them have KYB shocks it was actually said there was an issue getting a fox model. Granted this is dealer talk so take it for what it is

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The KYB shocks ARE serviceable. I have wrote you posts in your other threads stating how to service them but you again choose to ignore people that try to help you. Most KYB shocks come with a tamper proof cap on the bottom of the reservoir this cap has to be removed and replaced with a serviceable cap... Very easy job for anyone that knows how to service a shock... Canada still gets the KYB (for how long I don't know) as well as a model that comes with the fox shocks. Both dealers around here got a total of 8 of them in recently and all of them have KYB shocks it was actually said there was an issue getting a fox model. Granted this is dealer talk so take it for what it is
so where are you supposed to get these parts from,yamaha doesn't sell anything and neither does kyb America. and my dealer has no access to any info on them,maybe you can get us some part#as I haven't had any luck.

·
Registered
718 Posts
so where are you supposed to get these parts from,yamaha doesn't sell anything and neither does kyb America. and my dealer has no access to any info on them,maybe you can get us some part#as I haven't had any luck.
Like he said, go to someone who works on shocks and they should have access to parts like that.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I contacted my closest spring shop and have contacted shock manufactuers like king shocks and retailers like highlifter and none of them are able to optain the info needed to service these shocks.the answer that I got from kyb America was that they are made for Yamaha and any info would have to come from Yamaha and as I mentioned in previous posts Yamaha won't give up this info to me or my dealer.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Making springs ain't rocket science

·
Registered
367 Posts
One picture is what you have... the other picture is the option for a serviceable end cap.. now there is also an end cap that has a bladder attached to it (I am not sure what system the wolverine will take when being serviced as I havent seen in one. Now there is also a tool that will screw into the stock kyb set up and allow deflation and inflation along with removal. Some bladders need to be "popped" and replaced ... I bet a shock shop would explain your options better as one can't predict what you need till one is open a shock up .. but your the first to need to do this so the leg work is yours

·
Premium Member
557 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
One picture is what you have... the other picture is the option for a serviceable end cap.. now there is also an end cap that has a bladder attached to it (I am not sure what system the wolverine will take when being serviced as I havent seen in one. Now there is also a tool that will screw into the stock kyb set up and allow deflation and inflation along with removal. Some bladders need to be "popped" and replaced ... I bet a shock shop would explain your options better as one can't predict what you need till one is open a shock up .. but your the first to need to do this so the leg work is yours
the point that I am trying to make is that these parts have to be available before they can be serviced.my dealer was going to try to service them and was told from Yamaha that they aren't serviceable through them,the partsman there has over 30 years experience and can't find anything on these shocks,i am not going to take the chance of sending my shocks to a shock shop without the assurance that they are going to be able to service them,so far I have not found anybody that can provide this.my feelings at this time is instead of putting money into a dead horse I will have to bight the bullet and replace the kyb shocks with fox or elka that are sold and serviced in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
These shocks are not one of kind and completely different than anything else KYB makes, if they are serviceable any reputable shop that rebuilds shocks can do it.

We are just beating a dead horse here......

Reactions: TRev

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ok I am going to try to spell this out. For a very common shock like say the Rzr or maverick they have companies that bundle a parts list and sell kits, it's great and easy but you would still be taking your shock to a shock shop not your dealer as your dealer may have the know how but the tools to do it proper I am sure they lack (and they would tell you they would do it then send them out) after a good nights sleep I am going to try and say this clear. Your dealer will not be able to find a parts kit for these because nobody makes it yet but at a shock shop they will be able to fit new parts such as bladders caps and seals if needed because believe it or not KYB doesn't use different size parts for every shock. So with a shock shops know how and abilities they can order the parts I showed you for KYB replacements and re build your shocks. And personally I would never trust a dealer to rebuild shocks as I am sure they don't invest tons and dons of money into presses and dies to take apart the valve sets and seals. Here is e trying to help. TAKE YOUR SHOCKS TO A SHOCK SHOP they can fix you up

1 - 20 of 48 Posts