Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been about a year since I was able to rent a Wolverine Rspec and my low back issues have been growing steadily worse. I thought I would ask those of you that have one how you would compare/rate the plushness of ride quality vs other makes/models of SxSs or ATVs. I am starting to wonder if there is anything out there that my back can tolerate or if this is the end of the sport for me. I have been riding my rhino with resi shocks down gravel and dirt roads for a bit the last few days (less than an hour each day) and the stiffness/jarring is too much. A year ago I thought the wolverine resi shocks and added wheelbase would solve it, but now I am not so sure. Of course the super hard Rhino seats probably don't help.

Thanks for any thoughts or information.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have osteoarthritis In my neck and shoulder and know how you feel,other members have changed out their seats on the wolverine,but havn't heard reviews on them,sitting and bouncing around on these machines can take a toll on the body.i like to take a hike whenever I go out and seems to help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think the ride is very smooth compared to any atv i have ever ridden or owned

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
my son just bought a 2016 tyrex le 800 today,it comes with the adjustable fox shocks,adjustable drivers seat,tilt steering,led lights and three year warranty.the bucket seats are very plush and the machine has a six inch longer wheel base than the wolverine so should ride as good or better,will go for a cruise with him when he's done work to see how it rides.also 27'' tires

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Everything about that teryx looks perfect...except the suspension (why can't any manufacture get everything right in 1 model?) Only 8 inches of travel and the reviews I read said it is pretty rough in the slow stuff and trails. They said it actually rides best at 25 mph. They say if it only had 2 more inches of travel like the wolverine...would be good to go. Will be interesting to see what you think.

Thanks for mentioning this unit. I have never even looked at one but the 2016 is impressive...loaded with so many things, good wheelbase, wide as possible but still compliant with our 62 inch wide trails, tilt, ps, tall doors, plush seats, long warranty, tons of storage, good ground clearance, roomy cabin, eps...wow.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
got to take his tyrex for a quick ride today and was rougher than the wolverine so he adjusted the shocks and was better.the seats are comfy and you sit up nicer than the wolverine with better visability.the axles look to be twice the size of the wolverine and the rear a arms are more open and don't get clogged with mud and snow.he did have a harder time getting through the tight turns than mine ,time will tell how it stands up.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
he kept turning it down and said it did get better,he is going to try at softest ride the next time he takes it out, also there is only the two control settings on his fox shocks compared to the three control settings of the kyb shocks on mine,i didn't get a chance to drive it on much uneven ground to see how the rebound reacted ,we were pressed for time.i also took my machine on our excursion so only got to try his ounce.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Softening the shocks and removing the sway bar made a considerable difference in the daughter/son-in-laws T4, but, the Wolverines ride is still noticeably better.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Wolvy is pretty comfy!! I have lower back issues and it never bothers me at all when I ride! I did soften the shocks about 4 clicks all the way around.

·
September WOTM Winner!
248 Posts
Brother in law has a teryx and even with adjusted fox shocks, I still feel the wolverine has a nicer and more controlled ride. Best thing to do is get some seat time in as many machines as you can. As far as ride and comfort go, you'd be stepping up from the rhino in pretty much any newer machine.

Reactions: Tracen8r

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I assume everyone responding has the R spec with adjustable shocks. In a review of the teryx they mentioned that it really needed 2 inches more travel all the way around...which would put it at 10 inches like the wolverine...apparently those last 2 inches make the difference.

I did a test ride in a non rspec wolverine and the ride was a bit better than the rhino, but nothing even remotely close to "plush".

·
Registered
92 Posts
If your looking for super plush big travel suspension. Polaris or can am. If your coming from an atv to the wolverine. the wolverine is much smoother than any atv.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a Pionner 1000-5, RZR 800 S and still own a RZR 900 S, RZR XP 1000 and Wolverine r spec. Comparing them all as stock machines the Wolverine is the plushest on the normal rocky terrain. Over big bumps the XP is the plushest. I had shock therapy tune the shocks on the 900 and XP 1000. On the 1000 I also added the Walker Evans sway bar links and with those modifications the XP 1000 is the plushest in all conditions. The Wolverine is about the same or maybe slightly plusher than the 900 with tuned shocks. I am not brand loyal. They are all great machines. I have 7,000 miles on the XP 1000 with no major issues. I have owned 9 Polaris machines, 6 Honda’s and 4 Yamaha’s. All great. The Honda’s and Yamaha’s have less issues but we have never had a major breakdown on any of the machines and we ride them hard.

I am happy to answer any questions with no bias.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You will get a little incremental plush by keeping 12" rims and larger tires and running less pressure. Of course 'plush' has potential for less control. Type of riding, trails vs desert vs driving gravel roads to the hunting cabin, all have a bearing. The 4 seater RZR may be an answer since it looks like its about 16' long lol?

Reactions: Tracen8r

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m 53 and have had 3 back surgeries.. that being said, you have two options, stop riding and accept the fact your condition is getting worse, or two.. do like me and accept the fact that it’s not going to get better and at least have fun riding even if your hurting.

·
Registered
651 Posts
i rode a few times in a 900 razr and i have to admit the combination of ride position, seat shape, and big suspension numbers made for a very smooth machine. I think the rspec does a solid job of smoothing out the bumps but the slightly more uprt seating position and lower suspension travel numbers limit what it can do. I did notice an improvement in the ride of my rspec by adding 27in kenda bearclaw htr tires. I run 9psi and it seems to run pretty smooth but doesn't feel uncontrolled at all. Actually much more controlled than the stock fake bighorns that are bias ply tires.

Reactions: Doc T

·
Registered
511 Posts
i rode a few times in a 900 razr and i have to admit the combination of ride position, seat shape, and big suspension numbers made for a very smooth machine. I think the rspec does a solid job of smoothing out the bumps but the slightly more uprt seating position and lower suspension travel numbers limit what it can do. I did notice an improvement in the ride of my rspec by adding 27in kenda bearclaw htr tires. I run 9psi and it seems to run pretty smooth but doesn't feel uncontrolled at all. Actually much more controlled than the stock fake bighorns that are bias ply tires.
But on their website it says "6 Ply Rated" for the Big Horn 2.0. Gasp!! That's not the same as for real being 6 Ply? Gotta love those incredibly inventive marketing folks. From seat of the pants feeling, the stock tires on mild terrain contribute quite a bit to the plushness of the ride. I noticed it rode harder when I installed the EVO's.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Abell34, I was running 9 psi in the Kendas but had some deflations on rocky trails probably from loss of inner bead integrity. I had to up the psi to 11. For other terrain 9 was great. My2cents worth.

Reactions: Abell34
1 - 20 of 27 Posts