Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching sxs' for awhile and have narrowed my sites to a Yamaha. I'm biased towards the Wolverine as I think it pretty much is built for my needs. 100% of my use is riding the public ATV/UTV trails of Northern WI. Mainly gravel forest service roads with a mixed terrain of sand, rocks, hard pack, and mud. I ride a Honda Rincon now and a typical day of riding is 80-100 miles.

I know this site may be biased towards the Wolverine. My question is, does anyone wish that they would have bough ten a Viking instead? I like the looks of the Viking and the additional cargo space, but I think the Wolverine is probably geared more for my riding style.

Additionally, I was planning on purchasing a non power steering model. How do the non power steering rigs handle and steer? Does anyone who has one regret not buying an EPS model?

·
Banned
420 Posts
I have the eps and would not want to give it up. Rode a Rhino without power steering for 5 years And never thought I needed it. Now, like I said I would never want to be without it.

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the non EPS version and don't regret it at all. Don't know that I've been in a spot where I really said I needed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I figured the wolverine would ride and handle better. It's probably a better machine for the type of riding I do.

I have always felt the electric power steering is something additional to fail. I also rather take the money for the additional cost of the EPS and use that to purchase accessories for the machine. I've ridden a Polaris Sportsman 550 that had EPS and didn't find it to be necessary. I'm sure many people love the feature but my opinion is that it's not necessary.

·
Registered
718 Posts
That's what I did, took that extra grand and bought goodies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have 4,800 hard miles on my Grizzly and the eps has been flawless. I could have bought a non eps 700 for the same price as my eps 550. I'm glad I bought the 550. Eps is worth every penny, especially if you ride all day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought the EPS model and all I can say is WOW. Its like driving my truck. After a full day of riding you will be extremely happy you spent the money. I used to be sore after riding. Not in my Wolvy with the EPS! It keeps one hand free to do other things like drink beer lol.

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
For the little additional cost I'm not sure why you wouldn't get eps. Guess it depends on the riding you do. For me running 100 miles on the trails in a day is not uncommon, so doing that without eps would be brutal. Heck unless you order it most dealers don't even have any of the non eps because people don't want them.

I'm not sure about just another thing to fail had it on my grizzly and no problems. I'm not too familiar with this system, but from my understanding its a power assist. So even in failure it would just be like driving a non eps and wouldn't leave you stranded. I can't say that for sure because I've never had a problem with it and had to dig into that system

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I've not driven a SxS without eps. I have driven samurais on the trail without power steering. You feel every little bump the tires make contact with come through to the steering wheel. The worst example of this was a ride on an island where the trails were like a cobblestone road only the stones are spaced about a foot apart. The steering wheel was being jerked out of your hands constantly. My hands ached at the end of the ride. We also have many dead end trails that have no turn around space. It is very tiring see sawing back and forth without power steering.

Granted a SxS is much lighter with smaller tires so the effects may be less dramatic. I bought my wolverine to be able to trail ride in comfort....eps is part of that comfort for me. Just my .02

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I'd definitely get EPS it's worth it. Especially if you will be driving it all day. Drove my buddies XP without eps and holy crap it sucks. LOL Every little rock and rut bumps they heck out of the steering wheel. Better hold on at all times because if you hit one wrong your hands/wrist will be paying for it.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
This thread not very helpful to OP. Those that have EPS are glad they do. Those that don't have eps don't regret not having it.

Reactions: MORSNO

·
Registered
72 Posts
A few weeks ago I tried my buddy's Arctic Cat Trail without power steering and it makes me glad to EPS on the Wolverine. Here in Canada I don't think you can get an R-Spec without Power Steering. I think only the Base Wolverine doesn't have EPS.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had to Suzuki Kingquads. 1 with PS and one without. I'd never go back. I've had 2 Teryx, one EPS. It's kind of like PS on vehicles, you can't even get one without it anymore. For me, it is the only add on that still adds value at resale time. You can't even buy a Teryx w/o EPS. I wouldn't consider not getting eps. As to your original query, if you need a metal large dump bed, get the Viking. If it is more a recreational purchase as you indicated, buy the Wolvie. The suspension alone is worth it!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
just sold my tracked grizzle with eps. would not buy any without now. no kick back from rocket never get the bar yanked out of your hand. with tracked its a must have though.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I've been researching sxs' for awhile and have narrowed my sites to a Yamaha. I'm biased towards the Wolverine as I think it pretty much is built for my needs. 100% of my use is riding the public ATV/UTV trails of Northern WI. Mainly gravel forest service roads with a mixed terrain of sand, rocks, hard pack, and mud. I ride a Honda Rincon now and a typical day of riding is 80-100 miles.

I know this site may be biased towards the Wolverine. My question is, does anyone wish that they would have bough ten a Viking instead? I like the looks of the Viking and the additional cargo space, but I think the Wolverine is probably geared more for my riding style.

Additionally, I was planning on purchasing a non power steering model. How do the non power steering rigs handle and steer? Does anyone who has one regret not buying an EPS model?
How many people do plan on having with you? That would lean me one way or another, 2 or less Wolverine, 3 or more Viking. Also the utility box, just carrying gear for the day...Wolverine, hauling dirt and gravel around your property...Viking. Power Steering is a preference not a requirement, until you've had it that is.

I've always had Yamaha ATV's and used a dumping cargo trailer around my property so I don't have a need for a Viking dump bed, and kids are grown and gone so there's no need for the extra rider seats...Wolverine it is.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Are you still pissed about yesterday. WTF happened.

·
Banned
420 Posts
Sorry that was for roadymi

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Our qb had his worst game ever, Bamas qb had his best game ever. Bama got the momentum and they are just too good to play catch up against.

Am I disappointed....sure. Am I pissed......nah. I've been around a long time and I love my Spartans but in the end it's just young men playing a game. Somebody gonna lose, somebody gonna win. Life goes on. There are much more important things to get pissed about. (People wanting to take my guns for example.)

Reactions: atkbike and GasAxe

·
Banned
420 Posts
Yes sir. You got it figured out.

Reactions: Roadymi
1 - 20 of 28 Posts