Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which LED light bar works best for mounting to the front plastic stock top from Yamaha? Really would like to get one but not sure what's the best bang for my buck?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I put HID plug and play lights on one of my Rhinos , they are super bright and no drilled holes ! I have looked on the web and only see one place offering them for 169. Hopefully more mfgs. Will start making them they are definitely the way I will go.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I put HID plug and play lights on one of my Rhinos , they are super bright and no drilled holes ! I have looked on the web and only see one place offering them for 169. Hopefully more mfgs. Will start making them they are definitely the way I will go.
The problem with hid on non projector beam headlights is the light disperses more than a halogen bulb. So, its brighter but it doesn't project as far.

Also on the wolverine, we only have one set of lights, a hi/lo beam bulb. While you can order hi/lo hid lights, the problem comes when your riding pass another vehicle you'll blind them because you either have hid or high beams. I know other rider aren't a fan of being blinded.

I think for us (wolverines) a nice white headlight bulb, such as Piaa, led, or Silver Star and a light bar is a better option.. but that's just my opinion .

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
The problem with hid on non projector beam headlights is the light disperses more than a halogen bulb. So, its brighter but it doesn't project as far.

Also on the wolverine, we only have one set of lights, a hi/lo beam bulb. While you can order hi/lo hid lights, the problem comes when your riding pass another vehicle you'll blind them because you either have hid or high beams. I know other rider aren't a fan of being blinded.

I think for us (wolverines) a nice white headlight bulb, such as Piaa, led, or Silver Star and a light bar is a better option.. but that's just my opinion .
You may be surprised how bright stock housings are with a 55w HID. For example, my wife and I both have/had HID plug and play kits from DDM tuning in our trucks, in the stock housings. However, my wife recently got a new truck(another F150) that has projectors with HID bulbs. Her aftermarket bulbs in her last truck, the same model F150 just without the projectors, were significantly brighter, and shone light further than the ones in her truck now, the stock projectors. In fact, they are so much worse, we are considering putting in the same type of housings as her old truck and going back to an aftermarket kit. We also have the same 55w kits in our atvs, a grizzly and a raptor, and they are very bright, far brighter than any halogen(I used to run silverstars back in the day) and have high and low beams, just like our trucks. As for other riders being blinded...when we are night riding there is about zero chance of passing another rider coming the other direction, so we never worried about that too much. On the narrow chance that someone is coming downt he trail, we all slow down and most of us with HIDs just kill our lights while we pass. Now, all this being said, it is still super convenient to leave the stock lights and just at an LED light bar, and switch it on and off as needed, which is what I ended up doing. I suppose it comes down to each person's taste, but HIDs are definitely a viable option, even in stock housings with no projector.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You may be surprised how bright stock housings are with a 55w HID. For example, my wife and I both have/had HID plug and play kits from DDM tuning in our trucks, in the stock housings. However, my wife recently got a new truck(another F150) that has projectors with HID bulbs. Her aftermarket bulbs in her last truck, the same model F150 just without the projectors, were significantly brighter, and shone light further than the ones in her truck now, the stock projectors. In fact, they are so much worse, we are considering putting in the same type of housings as her old truck and going back to an aftermarket kit. We also have the same 55w kits in our atvs, a grizzly and a raptor, and they are very bright, far brighter than any halogen(I used to run silverstars back in the day) and have high and low beams, just like our trucks. As for other riders being blinded...when we are night riding there is about zero chance of passing another rider coming the other direction, so we never worried about that too much. On the narrow chance that someone is coming downt he trail, we all slow down and most of us with HIDs just kill our lights while we pass. Now, all this being said, it is still super convenient to leave the stock lights and just at an LED light bar, and switch it on and off as needed, which is what I ended up doing. I suppose it comes down to each person's taste, but HIDs are definitely a viable option, even in stock housings with no projector.
Lights housing can effect the light projection. Coming from a background in automotive customization, a lot of the time we retro fit projectors into the stock light housings. If you pull up to a wall with projectors that are aligned properly you get nearly perfect horizontal line where the light stop with factory equipped projector lens vehicles. Our vehicles that are retro fitted, the light typically projects straight and true. This means the eyes of a driver coming straight ahead won't be blinded by the hid. However, many other oem (non projector) light assembly disperse the beam, so you do get a brighter light, and possible further projection. This is the reason many areas won't allow you to just add hid bulbs, to non oem equipped vehicles.

As you pointed out, millage may vary as there are far too many makes and models and in some cases the hid, will work better, the flipside, as an example I swapped my cbr to hid and it didn't project far enough forward to really be safe at night.

For shits and giggles I may order a set of projector and rerro fit the wolverine,just for the cool factor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts