Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
20150721_105601.jpg 20150721_105539.jpg 20150720_150904.jpg 20150720_150912.jpg
Thought it was mud but turned out to be sand. It bottomed out and pulled a suction. We dug and dug but just kept filling back up. Tried to pull out with my winch but the only way I could go was at an angle. Sand doesn't give at all and broke my steering arm and the synthetic rope. It took 2 honda pioneer 700's one with viper max 5000 and the other a warn 4500 with a snatch block to pull me out. Not sure what it will take to fix her. I think the arm pulled out of the box. 4 wheel drive made a weird noise when I tried to use it to help pull me out. Any ideas on if I should just buy the arm and fix it myself or should I bite the bullet and bring it in to the dealership?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wow! That sucks.. Don't feel too bad my friend stuck his ranger in what turned out to be a bottomless hole at muddy bottoms atv park last year..

It took the Viking synthetic rope around the roll cage to roll it back up strait, it was leaning about 45° . A few guys stop to help. So this is what it took to get it out.

The Viking rope on the upper roll cage to get it level. A rzr with a 9,500lbs winch.. Yes, I said 9,500 winch.. Another ranger strapped to the rzr rear bumper so it didn't slide in the hole, a 4 wheeler parked in front of the rzr like a tire block and the ranger xp900 in the hole gassing it to back out.

Lucky it only popped an axle from the bind..

·
November WOTM Winner!
877 Posts
Man that sucks! If I were you I'd order the parts ASAP. It sounds like that are hard to get, I've been waiting 3 weeks for a thermostat and it sounds like I got a couple more left. Not to mention the back log of over fenders.

If you can fix it yourself I would, but that's just me. I doubt warranty would cover any damage to the front diff if you did any but I'd at least check into it.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Doubt you hurt the front diff at all. It has a slip clutch that will make a popping sound when it's slipping. From the pictures, it only looks like a bent tie-rod. Fairly easy to replace.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Also if you bought the extended non yamaha warranty..they might cover the broken parts if you pay the deductible. At least that's what I read told about the extended warranty company.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOW now that is Stuck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I didn't epic wolverine .I put that money on accessories. I figured I wouldn't be stupid and put it in something bad enough to do this. Yamaha products are known for quality and durability so I didn't think I needed it.

Reactions: EpicWolverine

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Yep, looks like part # 10 is what you need. And no SxS is idiot proof.

No idea how but a friend we ride with rolled his 1 month old 900s 10 minutes after we got to CAW on Saturday. LOL He's rolled it before, right after he got it, in his own back yard. The Wolverine isn't nearly as tippy and I've never even come close to rolling it. Must be the full skidplate placing a bunch of weight down low. Not sure.

I much rather replace a tierod than my precious over fenders.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, looks like part # 10 is what you need. And no SxS is idiot proof.

No idea how but a friend we ride with rolled his 1 month old 900s 10 minutes after we got to CAW on Saturday. LOL He's rolled it before, right after he got it, in his own back yard. The Wolverine isn't nearly as tippy and I've never even come close to rolling it. Must be the full skidplate placing a bunch of weight down low. Not sure.

I much rather replace a tierod than my precious over fenders.
HAHA I hear ya on the fenders. I'm glad mine came with them. the skid plate actually hurt me. It was sitting in the sand and created a suction. thought it was never getting out.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I did that once on my 660, clipped a tree and pretzeled the tie rod. I straightened it out and finished the day.
Then I ordered a complete new set from end to end from American Star Racing. Now I keep the old, straight one from the other side with me in my rack box, just in case

·
Registered
395 Posts
lol yeah I didn't have any tools or I would have tried that. I will have tool next time.
Haha. Yeah. We always luck out. One of the guys we ride with always has tons of tools with him.

When I had my old machine, in the picture, I was asking the dealer if I should upgrade it. Evidently they are designed to be a failure point as they are cheap and easy to replace. Much cheaper than replacing an EPS rack. Best to just get a replacement and carry it along.

What I ended up doing is had a new one put on then took the one I pounded straight and carried it as a spare. They are super easy to take off and put back on when on the trail. Your alignment may be a little off but beats walking!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Haha. Yeah. We always luck out. One of the guys we ride with always has tons of tools with him.

When I had my old machine, in the picture, I was asking the dealer if I should upgrade it. Evidently they are designed to be a failure point as they are cheap and easy to replace. Much cheaper than replacing an EPS rack. Best to just get a replacement and carry it along.

What I ended up doing is had a new one put on then took the one I pounded straight and carried it as a spare. They are super easy to take off and put back on when on the trail. Your alignment may be a little off but beats walking!
I'm going to try and install it myself. Really not sure how to put the part back in the differential. I think it extended the wheel out and it pulled out. Hell I drove it like that i was about 6 miles from truck. I just went about 8 mph the whole way. hopefully that didn'
t hurt it more.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts