·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just got some billet aluminum exhaust tips in stock in a matte black finish

Lowers exhaust temps
sounds throaty
slight performance gain

Spark arrestor spring, wrench and mounting screws included with the tip plus shipping to any lower 48 state

click link below to go right to it on our site

Link to the tip on our website

You may find it necessary to add the power commander in some cases if it stalls. The factory fuel map is lean during cruising and in some cases with the tip it might stall. Did not occur here but others have seen this observation

It appears more people need the power commander anyway to get rid of the factory lean condition causing other issues mostly engine and exhaust heat.

Todd

·
Registered
213 Posts
i would suggest running the PCV with the tip
i was having a lot of stalling issues and removed mine until i can get the tuner

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had a tip on and it wouldn't start easy anymore. Louder for sure. Performance....not sure. Took it off for now.

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i would suggest running the PCV with the tip
i was having a lot of stalling issues and removed mine until i can get the tuner
So if you put the tip on it stalls ? I had no issues. That is weird and so no need in the pcv just for a tip, air/fuel ratios didn't change

·
Vendor
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I edited the post after receiving a very informative private message.

However, I can't see how starting would be affected at all. That one has me puzzled

Todd

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Tinken, have you blocked off the AIS? It will make it show lean at idle and part throttle when the AIS opens to allow more air into the exhaust. It doesn't open at WOT.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
It's a useless piece of crap to appease the EPA. It injects air into the exhaust port to burn off excess hydrocarbons. The YXZ has it too and Graves motorsports came out with blockoff plates for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Look at the Head's part diagram. The solenoid is Part#24 Here are the rest of the peices.

19 2MB-E482K-00-00 PLATE $29.20 $26.86
20 2MB-E4890-00-00 REED VALVE ASSY $24.36 $22.41
21 2MB-E4889-00-00 CAP, CASE $30.52 $28.08
22 2MB-E6777-10-00 BOLT $2.80 $2.66 2
23 1XD-E4881-00-00 HOSE, BEND 1 $6.28 $5.97
24 2MB-14840-00-00 AIR CUT VALVE ASSY $64.00 $56.32

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
It's an Air Induction System mixes air into exhaust gas; the Yamaha AIS is directing air into the engine for exhaust cooling. This also aids the catalytic converter & meeting emissions. It's supposed to aid proper combustion in a stock system. Once you change anything, get rid of cats, etc. it's pretty much useless, & will cause popping of the exhaust during decel. Something that needs to be blocked off and re-tuned.

wolverine_head.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Fuel map will be off from actual AFR. Probably not enough to matter. Disconnecting will not throw any codes but not sure if it leaves in open or closed state. On the R1, YZF and so forth there are machined block off plates. I think there is a AIS delete kit for the raptor too.

The extra air will make the popping on decel worst just like an exhaust leak will.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
Thanks for the information Deeyoh. I didn't know there was an ais valve on the engine. Machined block off plates are the way to go. It will change the maps a little for sure and something I will address. I have a couple of work arounds I can do with mapping which I will try later today on Boss's Wolverine.

·
Engineer
1,807 Posts
I was able to finally get Boss's Wolverine tuned without modifying the ais valve. He has reported no deceleration popping, better starting and better power through the powerband. I will tune with the ais blocked off as time permits.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Wonder what the AFR difference is with the AIS on and off. Just curious how much it changes the wideband reading.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts