Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The back slides when cornering hard. Will adjusting shocks help this or is it just way its designed. My old rzr800 50" carved corners really good. Maybe I shouldn't be comparing the 2 machines. What have you done to help make the rear stick in a corner?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I leave mine in 4wd no diff lock which would be like the RZR AWD with no diff lock.

The suspensions are very similar and the wolverine should corner a lot better than a non "S" RZR. Those 50 inch RZRs are pretty tippy.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The back slides when cornering hard. Will adjusting shocks help this or is it just way its designed. My old rzr800 50" carved corners really good. Maybe I shouldn't be comparing the 2 machines. What have you done to help make the rear stick in a corner?
did you have turf mode on your razer as the rear dif.on the wolverine is locked up all the time?

·
November WOTM Winner!
882 Posts
I don't think that you can really compare the 2 on a level playing field. I've only drive a RZR a few times but the differences are pretty large. Wolverine is wider, heavier and the seating position is completely different.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know the rzr is not supposed be left in 4x4 for long periods. I just assume the wolverine was the same, but maybe not. That 50" rzr wasn't nearly as tippy as this wolverine feels.
I leave mine in 4wd no diff lock which would be like the RZR AWD with no diff lock.

The suspensions are very similar and the wolverine should corner a lot better than a non "S" RZR. Those 50 inch RZRs are pretty tippy.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that you can really compare the 2 on a level playing field. I've only drive a RZR a few times but the differences are pretty large. Wolverine is wider, heavier and the seating position is completely different.
Ya, I think your right. Different animal and I may need to learn a new driving style.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
You can absolutely make adjustments to the shock and spring settings to curb this, however, the first thing to look at is tires. If you still have the stock garbage on there, remove it, put real tires on, and try again. If you have already replaced them, then you can certainly make adjustments. Now of course, a lot of this depends on the surface you ride on, what kind of terrain are we talking about here?

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
Yep, it's mostly in the tires. Also, if you don't like the sway, up the slow speed compression on the shocks. When fast trail riding, I'm always in 4wd. Hitting a wet slick clay corner at speed and you need the front tires to help pull you around.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tires are stock but this machine will climb a hill no problem so I can't see where different tires will help the sideways sliding , and I will try to adjust shocks for better drivability. Conditions are wet, loose soil, a lot of leaves make it extra slippery right now. Thanks for the replies...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ditch the stock tires for sure. You should notice a huge difference in a 6 or 8 ply vs the thin walled 2ply stock. The stock tires are probably just folding over in the corners which is making it break free.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
Tires are stock but this machine will climb a hill no problem so I can't see where different tires will help the sideways sliding , and I will try to adjust shocks for better drivability. Conditions are wet, loose soil, a lot of leaves make it extra slippery right now. Thanks for the replies...
Well sheesh, if it's slippery like that and you don't want the ass end hanging out around curves, you definitely need to run it in 4wd, and buy new tires lol. For you to compare the tires going up a hill to going around a curve is completely apples to oranges. Up a hill is asking for dedicated traction in one direction, whereas around a corner is both lateral grip and forward grip. The stock tires are garbage, it has been a topic of many threads, just do a quick search and you will have lot's of info on that subject. Switch them out for a set of decent tires, that aren't suicidal lol. Or, you could always just enjoy the fact that you can steer with the throttle in the twisties, I know I do!

·
Registered
367 Posts
The wolverine strictly feels tippy FEELS being the key word. I went up 4 clicks on slow speed. Lil more rebound and 2 clicks on high speed on the front and one full turn on pre load and I like how the wolverine drives way more then the rzr (800,900) the feel of the wolverine is because you sit higher. And I like driving with the ass end you carry more speed rather then scrubbing the front end

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did have 8 ply tires on my rzr. Seems like that is a contributing factor, that and my driving style with a totally different machine. Maybe over thinking this , different conditions as the weather changes may be a totally different feeling behind the wheel. Thanks for the replies..

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is part of what I love about mine ! Steering with the back end! And on tighter corners I just lighten up the right foot!

·
Registered
31 Posts
One of the reasons for the sluggish corning is the width to length ratio and a fully independent suspension that buy design is supposed to keep equal pressure on all tires which is not conducive to cornering since the rear tires must scrub in order to turn.
Cranking down on the rebound on the rear will give some relief at the expenses of ride quality. Also towing the front wheels in will make the steering much more responsive.( 1/4")
Factory toe aspects are slightly toed out to limit the rollover potential as per the lawyers advice.
I suspect removing the sway bar will hurt cornering but improve low speed ride particularly in the really rough stuff.I am going to be experimenting with removing the sway bar and report back.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Man that's what I love about it, steering with the back end ! And if you have it in 4wd the back end won't slide as much it will tend to track with the front end. But to me that is one of the things I love over Rhino , you better have big grapes trying to slide a Rhino , the Wolverine on the other hand makes you want to do it, I have never felt mine was "tippy"

·
Registered
77 Posts
If yall ever drove a yj jep on a 6 inch lift you would know "tippy" lol. Awesome machine but a bit crazy. I don't have a lot of time yet but the sliding is part of the planned game on the suspension sag. So far cornered a 90 degree at 25 and no issues on hard pack. In sugar sand maybe 15.....well see

·
Registered
207 Posts
The setting from factory on mine were 50/50. I tighten up the rebound and compression but I haven't needed with the springs yet. Feels a lot better in high speed cornering.

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
On stock tires, if I cornered very hard it would get dirt between the tire and rim. Sure sign that the tire is rolling over. The sidewalls are really thin on the stock bighorn 2.0's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts