Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looking around here for a while now. Looks like the Wolverine is everything(except possibly a 4 seater) that I would be looking for in a hunting, weekend riding toy. I do have a few questions to the owners.

1. On long hill climbs is the Wolverine able to hang in there, I know this was a problem on steep long hills in TN with the Rhino.
2. It looks like the Camo has the over fenders from factory. is this correct or pictures deceiving?
3. is there any performance mods to engine that anyone is trying or heard of? I know about the programmers but they seem to get mixed reviews of actual power gains.
4. on the enjoyment (balls to the walls trail riding) What do you guys think?

Thanks for any help I have noticed Abernathy's in Union City has a deal on the Wolvys, so I'm close to pulling the trigger.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
1. Wolverine has no problems with long steep hills. (Good to have an aftermarket sheave and secondary spring upgrade to keep it downshifting better)
2. Correct. Overfenders come with the camo model.
3. Just exhaust/fuel programmers so far. Looked at the HMF setup the most. Dynojet has the Power commander 5 out for the Wolverine also. Fuel and ignition. They are all piggy back units. Wish someone offered a flash to get rid of the speed limiter. It has a rev and speed limiter.
4. For fast trail riding it's probably one of best out there! My buddies new 900XC has all kinds of problems with bearings/bushings. It's still close on the trails though. The Wolverine has better suspension. He has more top end and can catch up on the smooth straights.

Think the best order of performance upgrades so far.
Sheave kit with spring, weights and slug kit.
Exhaust with programmer
Don't really want to touch the motor though since I want to keep it as reliable as possible. It has plenty power for anything I want to do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am at 7 hrs with my new Wolverine. Has more power than I thought it would. Soaks up bumps on the trail. As far as climbing I have some fairly steep hills about a 40 foot climb not problems with power to spare. Longer steeper hills go down into a marshy area, I will wait until after break in to try them out.

Reactions: atkbike

·
Registered
388 Posts
the wolverine really impressed me on steep hills when i rode it in the mountains in Ark. didn't run out of power or nothing like that like you just keep giving it gas and it just pulls pretty good.

·
Registered
385 Posts
This machine is the most confo

·
Registered
385 Posts
This is the most comfortable ride you can get especially in the rocky trails or WV. Plenty of power on extreme hillclimbs even when you have to slow down for rock formations on the trail. It truly is one tuff animal. Yamaha has always been very reliable.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have 1,470 miles and 70 hours on my wolverine and just had my second oil and differential fluid changes. The more miles and hours I accumulate the more often and harder I hit the speed/rev limiter. We have lots of sand in my area, especially heading south and the wolverine climbs like a spider in the sand. I can count on one hand the number of times I have used 4 wheel drive and have engaged 4 wheel lock only twice. Riding with a 900cc 4 person RZR the wolverine was much better in the sand hills and could go places in 2 wheel drive that the RZR struggled to travel In 4WD lock. Of course, on two track and fire roads he is able to pass me with ease. Because of the fine dust on many of our trails I have purchased an additional air filter and clean one while using the other.

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
I've looking around here for a while now. Looks like the Wolverine is everything(except possibly a 4 seater) that I would be looking for in a hunting, weekend riding toy. I do have a few questions to the owners.

1. On long hill climbs is the Wolverine able to hang in there, I know this was a problem on steep long hills in TN with the Rhino.
2. It looks like the Camo has the over fenders from factory. is this correct or pictures deceiving?
3. is there any performance mods to engine that anyone is trying or heard of? I know about the programmers but they seem to get mixed reviews of actual power gains.
4. on the enjoyment (balls to the walls trail riding) What do you guys think?

Thanks for any help I have noticed Abernathy's in Union City has a deal on the Wolvys, so I'm close to pulling the trigger.
Scott
It looks like everyone has given you a pretty good indication of the abilities of this machine. My opinion is no different; if you are looking for a truly capable trail machine, this unit is the ticket. It is no doubt outmatched in the HP category by the likes of PULL-ur-ASS, I mean, Pull-aris, I mean Polaris...lol but the drivetrain and suspension are so killer in this machine that up to about 35-40 mph on milder to slightly rough trails, I can outrun a polaris S 900, which has longer suspension travel and 75hp stock...After a few drinks of liquid courage that is lol. But above 40, it's no contest, the Wolvy just doesn't have the guts. I would not hesitate to recommend the wolverine to anyone who wants a trail machine. The reliability alone is enough piece of mind for me. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you are looking for a trail riding machine,this is it,by far.I have owned many side x sides,there is nothing that compares to this for trail riding,as far as tight trails and comfort,that is what it was designed for. If you want to fly down straitaways &jump,probably should look at a YXZ.If you need something for around the farm to haul dirt,or need something for hauling dead animals out of the woods,probably should look at a Viking.As far as hill climbing,had to winch up the rest of the way on cliffs,a couple of times.Definately not due to lack of power,but lack of traction.For trail riding,this is it....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts