Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 wolverine x2 r-spec
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ordered my new light bar and rocker switch. I am looking for a diagram or very descriptive explanation on how to wire it all up. I’m not an electrical wiz but I have a basic understanding of it. My rocker switch I ordered is led and I want it to only be lit when I turn the key on.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
How many amps does the light bar use?
What do the switch pins configuration look like?

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I don't know if the specs changed for a 21' model year, but this is for my 19'

X2/X4 has a 14 volt, 598 watt stator output
• Do not exceed the Maximum current draw of 7A for a single accessory connector.
• Do not exceed the Maximum total current draw of 20A for all of the accessory connectors.

So devices that draw more than 7A should be on another system, such as a added relay/harness.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Hover your mouse over these switch bodies and it should show you the pin connections.
Find one like yours and select it. It will have a wiring diagram that should be similar to yours, but verify.
Did your switch come with directions?
Any pics would help...... gotta love pics.....lol
Rocker Switch Bodies Link.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
If your light bar uses more than 7 amps, you will need a Relay Harness.
Pics from another thread but apply here also.

Pic using a large relay to power multiple devices. Total devices amp draw need to be equal or lower than relay.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
.....removed for now, I made it sound to complicated.
I'll add later unless someone can continue, sorry.

Sorry if I make it sound complicated, I'm remodeling a bathroom at the moment... lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
The one thing I have never wired to the key is any of the light bars I've installed on a SxS or ATV, I cannot get off of or out of a machine and forget they're on. But, there must be a benefit to it or people wouldn't do it! :)

Reactions: Paul65

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Some switches will still light up, so I use acc. plug to activate relay.
That way when key is off, no power lighting up the switch causing drain.

Reactions: TN_Max

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
873 Posts
So you answered your question with this post.
The piggybacked red positive lead is what will be keyed and keep the led light on in the switch.
The other red wire on the bottom left is what you'll connect to the light bar positive wire.

The light bar comes with a relay and fuse
View attachment 92771
the switch is a 5 pin switch

·
Registered
2021 wolverine x2 r-spec
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2021 RMax 2 Gray in Nova Scotia
873 Posts
I always recommend to folks if they think they'll be adding multiple items to put in a fuseblock from the get go.

Little extra work at the beginning wiring it in, but super simple to add too or replace later.

For lightbar wiring at the bumper and roof. I wired it so there's a blank connector just behind and to the side of the grill, and another at the roof. So if I want to change out the light bars, just need to unbolt and unplug.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Stopped for a smoke break, quick drawing I made up so if anyone see's a mistake plz let me know. :)

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha RMAX 2 XT-R 1000
1,152 Posts
I do it this way, so load power does not go thru the switch but from the relay to the device.

In this diagram, Replace the + from batt to switch with IG on trigger, and add a GRND if needed for switch lighting.

Sometimes in the pre made kits they also feed the switch from #30 which needs to be IG on trigger or it will be on all the time. And NEVER a chassis GRND, always a seperate GRND wire.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Switch would need ground for lights. I like it though Jim, nice and simple.
I added a relay with key power-on.
Makes it easier to add more items later like Maggot mentioned.

Reactions: Maggot and Jimbo

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
I have everything key-powered on. That way when I roll up to the house after 12 hrs of riding, I turn key off and stumble my drunk arse in the door and not worry about it.....lol

Reactions: Maggot and Jimbo

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Wiring is a funny thing, I was an industrial electrician for 17 years in my first career, give me 480 v 3 phase power that can kill me, and I know exactly what to do with it. Silly as it sounds, I have some sort of mental block with 12v wiring, LOL. I like to use the pre made harnesses and just deal with the trigger wire.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
My buddy is a retired electrician and he said the same thing Jimbo......LOL.
I was a Electronic Tech in the Marine Corps and repaired Air - Ground Radio and Radar equipment.
I repaired many motherboards at my bench, but point to 12v house wiring or higher voltages stuff and I'm freakin' lost. Like really lost....LOL

Reactions: Jimbo

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yep, it's fun stuff, pretty exiting when you drill into an underground 16.5 K line with a 24" auger for light poles, ask me how I know, LOL....looked like a mini nuke went off with a little mushroom cloud, and blew the auger in half.

Reactions: SKELLEY521

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Yup, you're not alone. I'm a Millwright, but have seen the aftermath of that exact situation on Construction jobs that other Sparky's have done.
I even seen where a Boilermaker cut a 6" main using a Lancing Rod. He said it was in his way...... Hello dumbarse....lol

Reactions: Jimbo
1 - 20 of 47 Posts