Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giving the old wolverine a cleaning it deserves for the service given.
The previous pic is the heat shield under the bed there was approximately one inch of caked mud on it I think it helped the heat transfer coming up from the muffler. In the following pics it shows a totally filthy engine and power washing did little has any one found a cleaning agent that will clean the engine without hurting it or any of the components. Something like scrubbing bubbles or eagle one etching mag wheel cleaner do the job, any input appreciated.
:cool:

Reactions: Wolfie and Kirk57

·
Super Moderator
1,834 Posts
I usually use simple green on all the plastic. Didn't really help with hoses, exhaust and aluminum pieces. Eagle 1 will clean it but it's pretty harsh. CLR will clean up those about as good as the Eagle one but not as harsh. Either one you use, you really need to wash it off very very well. They etch the aluminum and keep eating at it if you don't wash it all off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Believe me it's only getting this once a year, and while it's apart I'm finally ordering my sheave and slug kit. And talking to Todd about power commander.

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I'll share my experience...When I first bought a brand new atv, I was absolutely meticulous with cleaning it when I brought it home from riding for the weekend. I would have a bucket of suds(read: carwash soap), bottle of simple green, a scrub brush and a few rags. I would spend hours scrubbing and cleaning and rinsing and washing and...sweating. I wanted to protect my investment, but soon realized it was not worth my time to be so picky. Granted, simple green and elbow grease got off about anything that needed to come off, but in the end, it was just going to get dirty again. So, now, I pressure wash everything, hand pick the sticks and clumps of mud out, rinse the radiator really well, give her a lube job and call it a day. When it comes to the baked on dirt on the block and water pump and various aluminum castings, it really isn't going to hurt anything in my opinion, to leave it there. Now, this is not to say you should leave clumps of mud, that is a different story. But, a good bath without too much elbow grease will go a long way. As far as cleaners, I would be less worried about the aluminum, and more worried about all the petroleum based products...the plastics, rubber boots and hoses, etc. You get the wrong cleaner in there and you can seriously damage the integrity of the rubber, which could cause a premature failure at the worst possible time. We all know it's no good have a rubber fail...lol. But seriously, imagine your intake boot cracking...so much for filtered air getting in the engine. Just food for thought I suppose. I need a drink...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bet you are enjoying exploring the bike. I don't do the deep mud but will pull side cover off this winter. I do spend time cleaning mine after every 2 to 3 days of riding. I pull the center console and spray the mud out. It works fairly well.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.