Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's hot and the middle of summer, but it's past the summer solstice so...

I'm looking for a snow plow. I have a ~100 yard long gravel driveway uphill from the road. I live in eastern Iowa, so usually under a foot of snow at a time, but the occasional bigger storm does come through.

I want something that is strong/durable/sturdy and quick/easy to put on and off. Being able to leave the mount on all year without major drawbacks is a bonus. And as always, cost is a factor, but I don't mind paying a bit more for better quality or ease of use.

I don't have a winch yet.

I was thinking the KFI winch mount and open to suggestions for the plow and winch. I have read through the winch and plow posts, but seems winch recommendations are all over the place.

I just moved from the beach in NC, so any tips for plowing in general are also welcome. I've only done it a few times on my father-in-laws polaris sportsman, and he has a short paved driveway.

Thanks guys,
Brian

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a Kolpin High Rise plow that works pretty well. It is supposed to be quick on and off but can be a bit finicky about lining up all the pieces. It is a very strong system and the chassis mount remains on the X2 year 'round - it does intrude on ground clearance a bit but hasn't been a problem. The stock blade skids are a joke, but Kolpin makes heavy-duty replacements at a reasonable cost. If you are satisfied with manual blade angle adjustment the Kolpin is fine. But, if you want to be able to adjust the angle from the cab look elsewhere. Kolpin's system, which I bought, is a POS. It didn't last one season. The principle behind it is fine, a worm screw powered by an electric motor. But the motor is so weak that a bit of grit in the blade pivot would jam the whole system. A system with a hydraulic ram would be preferable for the added power. Too bad, otherwise Kolpin's system is first-rate.

Reactions: L3rian

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked that out. The high-rise feature looks pretty nice. Basically doubles the height you can raise the blade. I didn't see an option for the X2. Or even any 2019 yamaha models for that matter. Did you order the one for the '18 X4?

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,211 Posts
STOP and HOLD ON NOW!!!

We barely have a month of summer here, barely and nights already down to 15 or 16C. A delayed winter is a must have now unless you're in Alaska.

Reactions: wolvymanx4

·
Registered
153 Posts
The system I ordered came with a defective weld nut on one of the fittings. When I called to get a replacement the parts guy thought I was nuts because he didn't have a number for that piece and told me that they did not have a system for the X2. So I read him the cover of the installation manual that very clearly identified the X2. He finally found the piece I needed. After the installation, I emailed Kolpin to let them know that their instructions were incorrect in a couple of places. I never heard back but your post now makes me think that what I got was a very early pre-production unit that was not quite ready for prime time. Back to my original opinion of the High Rise system, though, it is a strong, robust set up that allows the blade to be carried well clear of obstacles when you need to - you don't have to raise it that high in normal operations. With the exception of the power angle unit, I would install the same system if I had it to do over again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the 66" kfi plow,although I don't have it mounted yet. I will say the build quality seems to be very good for the $.
With the type of mounting plate used it should be pretty easy on & off. The plow mounting plate mounts to the KFI winch mounting plate, so if you already have a different winch, that could be an issue. It did come with the required kfi plow mounting plate along with the plow mounting plate. Not something I needed as I already had their winch.

·
Registered
2021 RMAX4 1000
1,762 Posts
Damn, I hope not. Im just getting past some snow drifts from last winter. Don't jinx us now. :firedevil:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a moose 6 ft plow with the additional pulley for added lift height. I have not used it. It does come off easily and the mounting bracket is not in the way. The angle is changed manually.

Reactions: 4JWV

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,211 Posts
I am really ticked of this summer. I have 2012 Highlander under toyota Warranty. The AC quit and dealer says I need a new compressor and other parts. However they cannot get parts from Toyota anywhere I am told, none show and no ETA for them to arrive. They said their manufacture may have to manufacture them and ship. Its 5 weeks now i am waiting for the parts and no word from them getting it. I called a few times and nothing changed. Toyota customer service is no help in Canada either as its 2 weeks since I notified them. So much for a reputable brand. Its NOT if they cannot get parts when they need them for their customers. Last Toyota for me and family.

A least is cool riding in this open air wolverine. I was up to Kaladar Ontario yesterday. Not a bad ride and dodge a huge thunder storm. Apparent on the way back I found huge puddles and trail fooding on the way back near where I started north of Belleville.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same RM4 Moose plow system on the 2019 X2, had to modify the mount a bit. I think they used the original Wolverines mount. The pull system does not work so well on the 2019 since the bumper is some what lower to mount the winch hook to.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the 66" KFI system and it is super easy to use and they now have an option for power pivot that would be a nice feature to have. I also like the 2" receiver on the front of the machine as I've used it for backing trailers into super tight spaces you can be looking straight ahead while putting them away. also gives you an anchor point for winching out from the front that's super easy to get to. Bought mine used for $250 and haven't regretted it yet. I have a big loader on the front of a john deere tractor but haven't mounted it for the past two winters because the wolverine is so handy.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,211 Posts
I am not sure how you mount a receiver on the front of the Wolverine although the winch hook give me a point to hook onto. It is hard backing these up and seeing where you're going. I have to go real slow. I've come real close to clipping things as it is if I weren't going slow.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am not sure how you mount a receiver on the front of the Wolverine although the winch hook give me a point to hook onto. It is hard backing these up and seeing where you're going. I have to go real slow. I've come real close to clipping things as it is if I weren't going slow.
The KFI plow mount has a receiver built into it plow mount.jpg

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,211 Posts
Neat, but what if you have a winch there already. Not going to work at all.

Also a comment on the 66" blade. My machine and I believer yours is 60" wide and in the majority of plowing the blade needs to be tilted at least to the first angle it locks to. That would be the most if sufficient to clear the width of the machine otherwise the tires are still riding the snow at the outer edges. I may not be a factor unless you're plowing 12" or more of snow. 70" is quite wide but the only way to get the spill angle needed in many cases.

Just thought I'd point that out before the snow flies.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I do have a winch mounted up there if you look at the picture you can see the fairlead in the top left. How else are you going to operate the plow lift. The 66" wide plow works fine even while plowing around a curve its just wide enough to cover the tire tracks even at full angle although you wouldn't want to be any narrower. I did add a half step to the angle adjustment on mine so it pushes the snow straighter on instead of rolling it off to the side. If we do get a really big snowfall amount or big drifts then I position the blade to full angle to get through easier.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,211 Posts
I do have a winch mounted up there if you look at the picture you can see the fairlead in the top left. How else are you going to operate the plow lift. The 66" wide plow works fine even while plowing around a curve its just wide enough to cover the tire tracks even at full angle although you wouldn't want to be any narrower. I did add a half step to the angle adjustment on mine so it pushes the snow straighter on instead of rolling it off to the side. If we do get a really big snowfall amount or big drifts then I position the blade to full angle to get through easier.
I couldn't see it in the photo, but great its working out for you with 66" plow. I use an ATV, Kingquad 750 w/56" plow and at full spill I don't have much clearance left due to the resulting width. I have two split angle slots and the first one is ok for most situations. It must be tight clearance on the Wolverine. The next size is pretty big for a UTV but either way its too big to use my Wolverine for plowing. I come close to hitting things backing up as it is even though the blade is not as far forward either.

I have done short trail rides with the blade on in my ATV even when the sled trail is not open or back field local paths. I wasn't aware you'd already plowed with it so all is good.

That setup would not work for someone already having a factory winch as I have I figure.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I couldn't see it in the photo, but great its working out for you with 66" plow. I use an ATV, Kingquad 750 w/56" plow and at full spill I don't have much clearance left due to the resulting width. I have two split angle slots and the first one is ok for most situations. It must be tight clearance on the Wolverine. The next size is pretty big for a UTV but either way its too big to use my Wolverine for plowing. I come close to hitting things backing up as it is even though the blade is not as far forward either.

I have done short trail rides with the blade on in my ATV even when the sled trail is not open or back field local paths. I wasn't aware you'd already plowed with it so all is good.

That setup would not work for someone already having a factory winch as I have I figure.
I have the Yamaha factory warren winch kit installed and it works great. They recommend replacing the warren mount with a KFI mounting plate for the winch but I just used a couple of shims where needed between the plates where they meet and so far no problems. If I want to hit the trails all I need to do is pull 2 pins and unhook the winch hook from the blade and off you go. Very easy to use simple system. My youngest is ten years old and she can hook and unhook the blade if she wants to ride around and I'm not around to do it for her. If I ever bought another blade it would be wider simply to get done quicker I went with the 66 because I wasn't sure how much snow I could push through with the wolverine now in hind sight I know it would easily handle it.

·
Registered
2017 Wolverine SE
3,211 Posts
Yes, twice as heavy as an ATV. Heavy wet snow is always an issue, eventually I find. Pushing the plowed banks well back is the key most important thing. Its hard to move them after. Although I do manage in this 750 in low 4 wheels locked it does move them eventually.

Enjoy, PS not looking forward to snow though. Summer was a month late coming and spring was an extension of winter. I'll hang on to the warm weather as long as it can last.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yes, twice as heavy as an ATV. Heavy wet snow is always an issue, eventually I find. Pushing the plowed banks well back is the key most important thing. Its hard to move them after. Although I do manage in this 750 in low 4 wheels locked it does move them eventually.

Enjoy, PS not looking forward to snow though. Summer was a month late coming and spring was an extension of winter. I'll hang on to the warm weather as long as it can last.
Global warming. LMAO. Whatever... I hear ya we had one of our worst winters with snow and extended below zero. I'll be getting a plow also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the moose RM4 72in plow and pulley system. Dont think the winch mount is right that was put on, fairlead dont line up with plow mount. Moose said to use their mount . Dealer said they would fix the problem, We will see.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts