Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2016 Wolverine R-Spec. Sold a 2008 Rhino that I never had a single problem with and I love the Yamaha equipment. I never had a windshield on the Rhino. From what I can tell by other side by sides, as soon as you put a windshield on one, the inside becomes a dust bowl.

So what's the scoop everyone? Who can tell me what the real deal is on Windshields before I ivest in one for my new Wolverine?

Do I want a full, a half, or a wind-deflector? I have also seen a fully vented version that says it will minimize dust collecting. Looking for advice?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have the full shield that folds down over the hood. The way the 2 peices attach it is easy to take the top part clear off, so that's what I do when I know the weather is going to be nice. I just bought the full shield for something to have in the rain and colder weather. I have never ridden it in dusty conditions with it up so I can't say to that

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got the folding, which gives you options. The BOTTOM LINE IS you have to have the rear screen or your going to get dusted. At the top of the rear screen Yamaha sells are 2 oblong holes that really help with keeping dust out. I'm sure everyone will agree. Hope this helps you. It also detaches pretty easily for now and again cleanings.

·
Registered
149 Posts
New to SXS here. So what is the dynamics going on with the dust collection? Does the Windshield cause it to happen somehow? What does the rear screen/shield do for this?

·
Registered
654 Posts
A windshield has negative pressure on the backside causing the dust to swirl in behind it. From what I've been told, a windshield roof combo still has this issue and the best remedy is to add a back window. I only have one weekend of riding with this setup on my machine and it was chilly and wet so I can't really give you an evaluation on the dust but it was nice to be somewhat dry.

Reactions: Topstoy

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks MNDirtRider, I am thinking a flip down might be the way to go. I love the open air coming in but if we get caught in a rain or snow shower, it would be nice to close up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I might be interested in a windshield. By the look of the pictures i’ve see, the full folding one has space between the windshield and the hood for cold air to come through. How does it compare to the wind deflector?

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I might be interested in a windshield. By the look of the pictures i’ve see, the full folding one has space between the windshield and the hood for cold air to come through. How does it compare to the wind deflector?
That's the defroster! I've honestly not noticed the air coming in, but it could be sealed off pretty easy with some rubber molding. However, it will then hold water when washing the inside.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I sealed mine up with some bulb seal as they call it and then silicones it to the hood to keep air out. Makes a difference when riding in the cold ybuy you are 100% correct about it causing the puddles. Haven't decided what to do about that yet.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wind deflector is a half windshield. Same thing. Love my 1/2 windshield. No dust swirl and when it gets covered in mud you can see over it. It blocks most of the cold wind that hits your chest.
Good to know about the full windshield.
Anyone have experience with the wind deflector?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have the Yamaha folder and it does a great job keeping things dry and the cold wind off your face. I like having the ability to fold the window down when your just putting around on a hot day. but in my experience even a hot day I prefer the windshield up to keep debri out of my eyes... I never wear goggles or anything on my own ground. only real issue is the rubber seal at the top of the windshield came off in less than a day and took forever to track down a replacement from the dealer. I gorilla glued it in place the second time around and now its great.

·
Registered
651 Posts
i do keep a windshield squeegee thing and a spray bottle of rainx washer fluid in the cab for when the shield gets to coated in globs of mud.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i do keep a windshield squeegee thing and a spray bottle of rainx washer fluid in the cab for when the shield gets to coated in globs of mud.
Does the squeegee scratch up your windshield at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
I've been using a squeegee and a spray bottle for two years, no scratches. My squeegee is a little guy made for cleaning shower walls and doors.

Reactions: david.tackman

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the super atv tilt windshield. You can close it for cold weather, have it partially open for venting which keeps the dust from sucking into the cab with no back window, or fold it up when it's covered in mud. It has some scratches as I do clean it in the field if it is mud covered. So far I've been happy with it.

Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts