Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many a bug in the face and some PM's to forum members, priced up the wind deflector. WOW $340 Aussie dollars (US$230) for a bit of Perspex. Is this right?
Looks like I might have to put up with the bugs a little longer.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
yamaha wind deflector $154. $439 for the windshield.
emp wind deflector $149. emp windshield $274

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
I paid 149 US at the dealer. Here's a tip could save u a bunch, maybe not don't know what your local prices are. Lexan (not plexi-glass can be bent in a metal press if you have access to a metal supply store. We used to buy sheets of Lexan and make our own rear spoilers for our stock car.

You could take a bit of time with some cardboard or heavy construction paper to make a template to fit the contours of the hood. Lexan cuts pretty easy with a jig saw. You can buy various "roll bar" clamps on Ebay or Amazon. Lexan drills easily also so you can easily attach to your clamps. I would recommend oversize washers (we call them fender washers here) to give more support where the bolts go through the Lexan. The factory kit comes with 2 plastic clips the screw to the hood that are spaced to give the deflector some support along the bottom edge and keep it off the hood surface enough to keep from scratching. The factory deflector comes with 2 bends at the top. My machine isn't here so I can't give you exact measurements but I would say they are approximately 1 inch and 2 inch from the straight edge. The angles are probably not critical, they serve to deflect air up and over you as well as to lend support to the top edge.

Lexan is a brand name. The material is polycarbonate. Make sure you leave the protective paper on until all cutting and forming is done. Plexiglass is an acryllic which you want to stay away from if you want to bend or form.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Figured I was getting gouged.
Roadymi - Another useful tip. About to fit tyres, so will see if they are prepared to sharpen pencil

·
Registered
718 Posts
The only issue with plain Lexan is that it is more prone to scratching than the hard coated that places like Yamaha and EMP sell. My dad made on out of a sheet of Lexan this year and it's quite a bit more scratched up than my Yamaha one is.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
The only issue with plain Lexan is that it is more prone to scratching than the hard coated that places like Yamaha and EMP sell. My dad made on out of a sheet of Lexan this year and it's quite a bit more scratched up than my Yamaha one is.
You can buy the coated lexan online. scratches with the deflector not quite as critical at least I seem to look over mine a lot more than thru it. I wasn't really offering the perfect solution just trying to show how to save a few aussie bucks if he was so inclined.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dont feel bad the folding windshield in Canada lists at 610 i got my dealer down to 550 plus 13% tax sucks to buy accessories right now our dollar is only about 70 cents U.S.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont feel bad the folding windshield in Canada lists at 610 i got my dealer down to 550 plus 13% tax sucks to buy accessories right now our dollar is only about 70 cents U.S.
Bugger - We are pretty much same exchange rate (.68cents US), so not really an option to buy direct from US. I might just buy me some cheap clear safety glasses;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts