Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been creating a few posts lately as I've been upgrading things on my machine so please bear with me. I built ( modified ) a rear hitch mounted plate to hold a winch, a Hyper Tough 5500lb. Now I've read posts stating that the hitch on the Rmax is really not strong enough to be a winch point. I ride alone a lot ( please save the comments about how that's not a good idea ) but I ride very conservatively. I wanted something that would give me just a little added tug if needed. I'm wondering what hookup point people are using if they have to be towed or winched out backwards. And if they're using the hitch how would that be any different than using a winch mounted on the machine. And can anyone recommend a decent wireless remote? Thanks.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Tread Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fender Gas

· Rock Crawler
3,953 Posts
I don’t have to much concern about it, and I think it’s a good useful mod but there have been a few instances I’ve read about and one I personally know about where a friend bought a low mileage rhino that he had to fix due to the frame being bent at the hitch area.
If the frame gets tweaked at the hitch, that affects the final, and rear end alignment.
I would just use it wisely, don’t try any hard pulls that put a side load on it!

· Registered
266 Posts
We hook the winch or tow strap to the rear receiver all the time. There is no stronger location.

· Registered
5,033 Posts
Be careful following my information. Sometimes I jump in head first without measuring the depth of the water. A while later, I realize I messed up. That's what's great about the forum. Lots of different ways at looking at something to get different ideas or concerns we may overlook.

· Registered
2022 Yamaha RMax4 LE
248 Posts
I've been creating a few posts lately as I've been upgrading things on my machine so please bear with me. I built ( modified ) a rear hitch mounted plate to hold a winch, a Hyper Tough 5500lb. Now I've read posts stating that the hitch on the Rmax is really not strong enough to be a winch point. I ride alone a lot ( please save the comments about how that's not a good idea ) but I ride very conservatively. I wanted something that would give me just a little added tug if needed. I'm wondering what hookup point people are using if they have to be towed or winched out backwards. And if they're using the hitch how would that be any different than using a winch mounted on the machine. And can anyone recommend a decent wireless remote? Thanks. View attachment 109100 View attachment 109101 View attachment 109102
I think your winch is a very good option to have in a jam. I’ve always left a hook in my lower receiver in case I need a tug. Do the leads have to be disconnected at the winch to remove it or does it have connectors? Or are you planning to leave it in place while you wheel? Just asking because I've bent this license plate bracket twice, so I could see it taking a beating if left there.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
2,202 Posts
An easy confidence booster may be to fab a brace off the bottom front of the winch mount bolts back to the lower A-arm inner mounting bolt. I cannot see the whole thing on your pics but if you can triangulate the forces back to the frame that way then you take a lot of the torsion out of the tube mount. I suppose the hitch is setup for about 1500 lbs towing which is in and out so agree with Budro on the side pulls, but may be hard to avoid if by yourself lol. If you have not already, also skill yourself in snatch blocks and ground anchors as well as carry long extension ropes.

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think your winch is a very good option to have in a jam. I’ve always left a hook in my lower receiver in case I need a tug. Do the leads have to be disconnected at the winch to remove it or does it have connectors? Or are you planning to leave it in place while you wheel? Just asking because I've bent this license plate bracket twice, so I could see it taking a beating if left there.
View attachment 109120
I'll be putting the quick disconnects in. I'd planned on leaving it in as I don't have room to store it in or on the machine right now but I'll have to see how that works out. Do you drag that hook often?

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An easy confidence booster may be to fab a brace off the bottom front of the winch mount bolts back to the lower A-arm inner mounting bolt. I cannot see the whole thing on your pics but if you can triangulate the forces back to the frame that way then you take a lot of the torsion out of the tube mount. I suppose the hitch is setup for about 1500 lbs towing which is in and out so agree with Budro on the side pulls, but may be hard to avoid if by yourself lol. If you have not already, also skill yourself in snatch blocks and ground anchors as well as carry long extension ropes.
The brace is a good idea Sid and I might do that. I've been building up my recovery gear try to cover most situations. What do you recommend for ground anchors. Right now I just have a couple of 3/4" steel stakes. Most all the terrain I ride is really hard rocky ground.

· Registered
2022 Yamaha RMax4 LE
248 Posts
I'll be putting the quick disconnects in. I'd planned on leaving it in as I don't have room to store it in or on the machine right now but I'll have to see how that works out. Do you drag that hook often?
Yes, I smack it on things quite a bit. You can see how high my license plate is and I’ve hit that twice. That’s why I installed the “step” upside down when I made my upper receiver, so it acts more like a skid instead of hooking a rock if I drop off of something.

· Registered
2022 Yamaha RMax4 LE
248 Posts
The brace is a good idea Sid and I might do that. I've been building up my recovery gear try to cover most situations. What do you recommend for ground anchors. Right now I just have a couple of 3/4" steel stakes. Most all the terrain I ride is really hard rocky ground.
It is a great idea, but it wasn’t mine. That was jimclemjr.

· Registered
2022 Yamaha RMax4 LE
248 Posts
We are almost always on wooded trails, so I use tree savers and a variety of straps, a snatch block, a tall scissor jack, and shackles. I still need to add a ground anchor to my kit but haven’t figured out what I want to do yet haha

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We are almost always on wooded trails, so I use tree savers and a variety of straps, a snatch block, a tall scissor jack, and shackles. I still need to add a ground anchor to my kit but haven’t figured out what I want to do yet haha
I was just checking out the 1-1-1 ground anchor system on YouTube. Looks like lightweight inexpensive but effective system.

· Registered
22 Wolverine RMAX
3 Posts
Hey all. I too built a winch mount for the rear. The RMAX is rated for a 2K tow rate. So while I'd prefer that there be a class 3 recover, what Yamaha provided will be good for 2k pull. I'd watch if using a snatch block and be mindful of side load.

My rear is used mostly for utility on the property. It has pull 3 tree stands up in a tree already. Also many trails are too tight to turn around to recover that buddy who has not bought a winch yet so I use it for pulling them out if needed.

Mine is in/out a lot so a permanent or bolt in brace is not something I want. I have thought about plating or somehow reinforcing the receiver.

dw

· Registered
2,202 Posts
a 30" piece of 3" Ground post (oak 2x4 too) buried in a T trench with a tree saver in the single leg of the tee will probably do it. means you need a shovel or a claw hammer like I carry. Same post can be used behind two rocks. I carry a 18" gorilla bar which has multiple options. They do make some ground anchors and they seem pretty pricey to me.

· Registered
5,033 Posts
I'd take it out. A few good licks or a few unexpected deep water crossing (I know I forget about things) might not be good. There are bags out there that you can hang on the ROPS that will hold the winch. Put in on when needed or starting up or down something that looks hairy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts