Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is generic in nature so thought ok for this forum. I have now got a 2021 CA Commander XT-P that came with a OEM Warn 4500 winch. It has a simple rocker switch on left side of the steering wheel for control. I have always had a remote on my other winches and used it frequently for rolling up the winch line by myself as well as a couple times on the trail it was needed. So there is a brp kit for a wired manual remote that you can buy with the socket and a hand control, and it is about $100. So I researched a little bit and found on eBay, a bunch of wireless winch remotes for $15- $20. Obviously, they are not all that complicated and easy to carry a spare battery for the control. So is there some experience here, of a wireless remote that anyone has installed and used, that they would share?

·
Premium Member
2021 Rmax4 LE.
538 Posts
I have seen a few posts over the last year with folks having good luck with the phone app remotes. Massive? I am going to get the Warn which is about $100. I don't want the phone app one in case I lose or forget my phone.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Hi Jim, I went with one of the inexpensive wireless winch remotes, $19.99 on Amazon with free return. I did wire it in such a way that I have to have my interior overhead cab light switch on for the remotes to work. My interior cab light works with "Key Off Power". This way I reduced the possibility of the wireless remote accidentally getting turned on and activating the winch without me knowing it. Here is the link to the one I got. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CPRVW6Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I liked it for several reasons: came with (2) remotes, remotes have an On/Off side slide switch, red light at top of remote lets you know remote is activated, are a decent size that fits in your hand easily (not so small that would be easy to misplace or operate). If the wireless remote were to stop working for some reason it does not interfere with the winch's rocker switch still being able operate the winch.

I have only used it 1 time in the yard to rewind the cable. There is a slight lag time when you release the In or Out button on the remote before the winch stops, but it is probably only about 1.5 seconds and you soon get used to it and know to let off of the button accordingly.

So far I have been well pleased with it. I very seldom use my winch, but there just in case. Let me know if you have any other questions. My RMAX also has the 4500 Warn Winch.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Old man- Does the cheap one take AAA batteries? Info on eBay and Amazon is thin and I do not want to be buying and storing extra 12v lithium batteries, disc batteries or such. Thx
Ed - I was looking at both of these, I like the T shape ones cause they can be intuitive to use without looking but not sure of the on/off switch. I like the manual switch on the blue one with gloves and could do something make it more by feel in the dark. BUT the web page shows this has small 12v batteries not AAA. Please confirm Thx

·
Registered
2022 Rmax sport
1,863 Posts
Old man- Does the cheap one take AAA batteries? Info on eBay and Amazon is thin and I do not want to be buying and storing extra 12v lithium batteries, disc batteries or such. Thx
Ed - I was looking at both of these, I like the T shape ones cause they can be intuitive to use without looking but not sure of the on/off switch. I like the manual switch on the blue one with gloves and could do something make it more by feel in the dark. BUT the web page shows this has small 12v batteries not AAA. Please confirm Thx
👍
Multipurpose battery Rectangle Battery Font Wood

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I just looked at the remote and I was wrong. Guess I have to blame it on a senior moment. Instead of AAA, as I thought, it uses 1, 12v, 23A battery. I am going to edit my original post to remove the battery comment.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I did a little search and the 12v alkalines size 23 are not too bad, 4 or 5 for $6 or so. I only want two remotes in case one fails, breaks or lost. So I will check it and then store without batteries install in the glovebox. And btw I will never get Duracells again for storing/keeping batteries in anything. I have had them corrode in stuff at least three times.

·
Registered
2022 Rmax sport
1,863 Posts
Well I did a little search and the 12v alkalines size 23 are not too bad, 4 or 5 for $6 or so. I only want two remotes in case one fails, breaks or lost. So I will check it and then store without batteries install in the glovebox. And btw I will never get Duracells again for storing/keeping batteries in anything. I have had them corrode in stuff at least three times.
Lol I had problems with Duracell also They have that size in many different brands 👍
Camera accessory Drink Font Liquid Tints and shades

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Same as Papa here only a slightly different model. The delay is annoying at first but you get used to it. I also installed a wired remote. I use it the most because there is no delay and I can be outside the machine and see what I'm doing (mainly use this when stretching fence). Also, on the RMAX there was a knockout in the glove box fore a wired winch remote and I wanted to use it. I don't remember what any of it cost but I posted the links in my build thread.

·
Registered
2022 Rmax2 1000 SE
77 Posts
They don't work long enough to have to change batteries, I've had 3 of these and all of them have failed, you'd think I would learn, lol.

Reactions: jimclemjr

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've used this one for about 3 years for my chemical sprayer attachment on my tractor. The transceiver lives outside most of the time and has held up well to the environment without issues and I've not had to replace the batteries in the remote. I looked at those Amazon units for the RMAX but decided to go with the TSC remote based on my past experience. Be advised, the remote is extremely large if that's an issue for you. It is very robust and the buttons are tactile and easy to use even with gloves on. About 35 bucks a TSC.
Winch Remote
Cable Font Electronic device Gadget Rectangle

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve had pretty good luck with this one.

Amazon

KFI WRC - Wireless Remote Control Amazon.com: KFI WRC - Wireless Remote Control : Automotive

It auto shuts off so batteries last a very long time. It’s well built and there is minimal delay. I was looking at the warn one but it said you have to hold the button for like 3 seconds to activate. My main use was for plowing. Obviously that delay would be awful. My only gripe is it doesn’t seem to have a great range. I’m not sure it would work with the cable all the way out. It’s probably because of where the box is mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Rmax sport
1,863 Posts
Same as Papa here only a slightly different model. The delay is annoying at first but you get used to it. I also installed a wired remote. I use it the most because there is no delay and I can be outside the machine and see what I'm doing (mainly use this when stretching fence). Also, on the RMAX there was a knockout in the glove box fore a wired winch remote and I wanted to use it. I don't remember what any of it cost but I posted the links in my build thread.
That was one thing that surprised me with the warn phone app 0 delay.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have the Warn remote with the phone app. It works well. I always have my phone so no searching for the remote.

·
Registered
2022 Rmax sport
1,863 Posts
I’ve had pretty good luck with this one.

Amazon

KFI WRC - Wireless Remote Control Amazon.com: KFI WRC - Wireless Remote Control : Automotive

It auto shuts off so batteries last a very long time. It’s well built and there is minimal delay. I was looking at the warn one but it said you have to hold the button for like 3 seconds to activate. My main use was for plowing. Obviously that delay would be awful. My only gripe is it doesn’t seem to have a great range. I’m not sure it would work with the cable all the way out. It’s probably because of where the box is mounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 3 seconds is just to pair it. After that no delay. Blue tooth so it doesn't matter if you're phone has a signal or not. Plus you can monitor your battery and load stress that you are putting on your winch 👍
Plant Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Kitchen appliance

·
Registered
2022 Rmax 2 Sport
255 Posts
I have the SATV wireless remote and it works great. I use it everytime I load and unload in my toyhauler .

1 - 20 of 45 Posts