Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner

Winch remote outlet mounting question

8K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Jimbo 
#1 ·
Where have people mounted the rocker switch and remote outlet for there winches? Any good ideas?

#2 ·
My remote mount is on the dash above the ignition.

#4 · (Edited)
I decided not to even use a rocker switch and just mounted the female plug for the 10 ft. winch cord in the dash on the flat area just below the ignition switch. Worked out well and looks pretty good there. This way I can plug it in and walk around the outside to my winch and operate it my self, at the winch, if I want to. I can always go back and add a rocker switch if I decide to. The RAM Ball Mount above the ignition switch is for my handheld GPS.

Looked at several places to mount the winch solenoid and wanted a spot where I could easily get to it and it would always be up high enough to stay out of the water. Ended up mounting it to the front side of the battery tray area. Very easy to get to, to wire everything up and is close to the battery and winch and should stay dry up that high and just by removing the battery tray's cover everything is accessible. If you choose to mount your solenoid in the same place be sure to check where the bolt head will be on the opposite side of the solenoid, is a relatively small area where you can get to the bolt head due to the 2 wiring connectors with lots of small wires. That's the reason it is mounted on an angle.
]

Reactions: fjen
#8 · (Edited)
#11 ·
New Question, mounting a Viper Elite 4500 lbs winch and the wiring seems off

I'm not sure if this is the right place to place this question, but it does relate to the thread. I had no problems installing the hardware mounting plate, and winch. I have a pretty good idea where to install the contractor and the wireless module. However, I'm stunned to see the diagram suggest hooking up the red wire off the wireless module to the key power source. There must be a better way. Included two pics to illustrate...

Attachments

#12 ·
That just activates the contactor I believe, most use the acc circuit, aka cig lighter plug as its only on with ignition. I just used a tap terminal to tie onto the wire.

#13 ·
I just did mine tonight and did what Jimbo said. Blue tap terminal off the red wire running off the 12v socket (Cigarette lighter plug in)

#14 ·
If you want to use the winch anytime without the key on, tho most would not recommend, then put the red wire to the battery with a fuse or circuit breaker. But when using the winch without the engine running takes the battery down more quickly as you probably know.

#15 ·
I put my plug in for remote in the the glovebox along with the corded remote. Stays dry there

#18 ·
Same here, then I use a wireless remote that plugs into the glove box receptacle, and if it quits working I can use the wired remote that plugs into the same place, with the IN / OUT switch mounted on the dash with a hunk of Velcro so it's easily removable.

#19 ·
#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.