Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Barely got the winch out of the box before wanting to fling it across the yard.

Bought wolvie in january with the winch uninstalled.

They gave me the yamaha winch mounting kit, and 4000lb vantage warn winch. Just got around to mounting it, and the holes for the winch to the plate do not match up. The holes in the winch are wider than the holes in the mounting plate.

Is there a possibility I have the wrong mounting kit/plate? The plate fits perfectly in the grab bar, it's just I don't see how to attach the winch to the plate.

Attached is the yamaha kit/plate. I noticed the date on the sticker says 2014.

Any ideas? I figured it would take a few hours to get it installed, but I've spent the last 3 hours walking back and forth staring at this sh!t. On top of that the holes in the front bar that the winch line runs through don't even match the yamaha plate kit. WTF.

FWIW never installed a winch before, but I figured the damn factory holes should at least match up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

winch plate tag.jpg winch plate.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
My winch plate didn't line up perfectly either. I thought it was me! If I got bolts in on one side of the frame I couldn't get the other side in. With judicious use of a rubber mallet I got the stock bolts in but not the back two that attach the mounting plate to the frame. I got one in and the other was off 1/8 inch or so. So I tightened everything up and then opened the hole with a grinder and got that last bolt in. I spent so much time on that I haven't done the wiring yet. Ill do that tomorrow with a clear head.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, that sucks. What size winch do you have?

I feel your pain. My problem is the width, there's no "barely getting the bolt in", it appears I'd have to drill 2 new holes and the winch will be off center. There's no way to drill 4 new holes, because when centered, holes one side will match up 1/2 way, and the other side won't match anything. I'm thinking I have the wrong mounting kit. The holes in the bumper roller thing that goes on the front doesn't match up at all.

That 2014 date looks suspect to me. Current specs from Warn website says the part number should be 95350, the part number on the kit I have is 94293. Can't even find part# 94293 on the warn website.

Current Mounting Kit Specs from Warn:

http://www.warn.com/atv/mounting-sytems/yamaha_side_x_sides.shtml#exceptions

However, like I said, the plate would install easily on the grab bar, just the winch won't go on the plate at all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the kit I have on Amazon:

Amazon.com: 2016 YAMAHA WOLVERINE/ R-SPEC FRONT WINCH MOUNT BY WARN 2MBF28M0V000: Home Improvement

2016 YAMAHA WOLVERINE/ WOLVERINE R-SPEC FRONT WINCH MOUNT BY WARN
PART NUMBER: 2MBF28M0V000
Works with either Warn Pro Vantage 3500 Winch or Warn Vantage 3000 Winch.
WOLVERINE(2016) WOLVERINE R-SPEC(2016) WOLVERINE R-SPEC EPS(2016)

It appears the kit they gave me only fits 3000 and 3500 lb winches. Good GRIEF. Guess I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. If it isn't 1 thing, it's half a dozen others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Chief, Put a Provantage 3500 on RSpec yesterday, same mounting kit as yours, also questioned the 2014 date but worked fine. Wirings a bit of a hassle though, not much room under the hood

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Chief, Put a Provantage 3500 on RSpec yesterday, same mounting kit as yours, also questioned the 2014 date but worked fine. Wirings a bit of a hassle though, not much room under the hood
Thanks Wirenut. I believe the mounting kit is designed for 3000 and 3500 lb winches. The 4000 lb winch doesn't even come close to matching up. Called dealer this morning and he told me that they always have to drill holes when installing winches, because they never line up. He's an honest guy, so I believe him. I'm just debating whether I want to spend 3-4 hours messing with this thing or just take it to them and pay them to install.

Where did you mount the switch inside the cab?

I really like how this guy mounted the switch in the place of the helmet/seatbelt light:

http://www.wolverineforums.com/foru...winch-set-up-wiring-post19297.html #post19297

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yup. That works with the 3500 or 3000 WARN ProVantage winch. Thats the mount I have and the installation of the 3500 was a snap. Im not sure if Yamaha makes a plate for the 4000. You could just get the 3500 winch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Man, yeah, already have the 4000lb winch, didn't know the plate would have to be drilled into or I would have gotten the 3500. Dealer is a little over an hour away.

Did you guys remove the front grab bar for installation? That's what the instructions say, but it almost looks as if removing it wouldn't be necessary.

Thanks!

Yup. That works with the 3500 or 3000 WARN ProVantage winch. Thats the mount I have and the installation of the 3500 was a snap. Im not sure if Yamaha makes a plate for the 4000. You could just get the 3500 winch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did remove the front grab bar, not sure if necessary. Mounted remote plug about 2 inches below ign switch. Used the red wire plug-in for 12 v acc recepticle (included in mounting kit) will add rocker switch later prob to replace seat belt helmet lts. Spent about an hour removing warning stickers, the one on the fold down windshield was a bitch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did remove the front grab bar, not sure if necessary. Mounted remote plug about 2 inches below ign switch. Used the red wire plug-in for 12 v acc recepticle (included in mounting kit) will add rocker switch later prob to replace seat belt helmet lts. Spent about an hour removing warning stickers, the one on the fold down windshield was a bitch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did remove the front grab bar, not sure if necessary. Mounted remote plug about 2 inches below ign switch. Used the red wire plug-in for 12 v acc recepticle (included in mounting kit) will add rocker switch later prob to replace seat belt helmet lts.
Cool thanks. Will try without removing grab bar first, and see how much of a cussing I have to give it.

Spent about an hour removing warning stickers, the one on the fold down windshield was a bitch.
Removing Warning Labels is ILLEGAL !!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Feel ur pain I was able pry everything into place without drilling.but a huge pain in the ass. Had a buddy get a new viking had same issue bt he had to drill alot I think the issue is warn quality check there was another post on here stating that. Never had issue with warn before. Probably made somewhere else is my bet. Good luck u can get get it but it's not a easy install like it should be

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
i believe the 3500 and dawn has the same bolt pattern. 4000 and up is different. my stealer said they are different. warn web sight says the same . 4000 and up i believe is a wide spool and takes a heavier cable/synthetic rope. and different fairlead. i have the 3500 and mounting plate work good. was told you can not get 4000 that is a yamaha. even though they they are warn. i bought my synthetic rope and fairlead separate from yamaha. its a pro vantage 3500 but came with the steel cable and roller fairlead that had the big roller on the bottom. would be good if i plowed. changed it though to warn synthetic and haws fairlead. IMG_1649.jpg 2 IMG_1656.jpg winch and haws. fairlead. do yourself a favor and get a winch saver. everyone should have one. so you don't don't scare up fairlead
ATV Winch Saver : Cabela's

Reactions: MORSNO and Gfam828

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
i believe the 3500 and dawn has the same bolt pattern. 4000 and up is different. my stealer said they are different. warn web sight says the same . 4000 and up i believe is a wide spool and takes a heavier cable/synthetic rope. and different fairlead. i have the 3500 and mounting plate work good. was told you can not get 4000 that is a yamaha. even though they they are warn. i bought my synthetic rope and fairlead separate from yamaha. its a pro vantage 3500 but came with the steel cable and roller fairlead that had the big roller on the bottom. would be good if i plowed. changed it though to warn synthetic and haws fairlead. View attachment 16689 2 View attachment 16697 winch and haws. fairlead. do yourself a favor and get a winch saver. everyone should have one. so you don't don't scare up fairlead
ATV Winch Saver : Cabela's

Love the toggle panel!!! Very cool

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
switches and switch plate.
OTRATTW
if you don't see what you want ask them they are very helpful.

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
do yourself a favor and get a winch saver. everyone should have one. so you don't don't scare up fairlead
Good advice! I use a Kong dog toy, cheaper and available everywhere for us guys who pay for freight on everything.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
one more pic of dash, warning label cell phone holder and switches.
IMG_1673.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had the same problem with warn mount,sent it back to rocky mtn and ordered a Kfi mount,it works perfect for the warn 4000 vantage winch!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Any engineer associated with the instruction for installing the winch on the Wolverine should be fired. It's the most embarrassing set of instructions and support i've ever seen in a product.

You SHOULD have received the Warn 3500 winch to install as part of the installation, as it's the one that fits the mounting plate... that said. The mounting plate does sorta fit. It's a tight squeeze.

1. DO NOT remove the front grab bar as this causes an installation issue. You can not get to the bottom bolts under the winch if you follow the instructions. Its also not needed and a complete waste of time.
2. Get the mounting plat in place by sliding it through the front. You may need to close the tangs up with a vise or give the mounting tabs a whack on the side with a mallet. Seems the mounting tangs are just a few thousands too wide. I had to pound in the mounting plate a bit to fit it into where it belongs. I suggest getting the side bolts in place at this point... not tight.
3. MAKE SURE TO CONNECT the blue wire BEFORE getting the winch in there. If you hard mount the winch, you can't reach the post to tighten the nut holding the blue wire to the winch. STUPID! I connected both Blue and Yellow wires.
4. Tilt the winch in place over the front of the mounting bracket, and it will fit in without removing the grab bar.
5. Bolt it up!

You will have a boat load of nuts and bolts left over... why, because Yamaha is lazy. They must have just slapped together two different kits without thinking what's included in each, one for the winch, and another for the mounting plate. But it makes no sense, since you have left overs from both. Whats worse, is that fact you DONT WANT to remove the grab bar. If you do, you can't reach the bolts underneath the winch to tighten them, or the Blue wire post. This is beyond common sense. And if they actually include the Warn 4000 as an option, why not make a mounting plate for it. My guess is your steal-er is lazy and threw in what ever was on the shelf and didn't care. It's not the factory authorized winch for the mounting plate. I'm not saying it's not safe, just that the mounting plate is not designed for the Warn 4000 winch.

Good luck installing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts