Yamaha Wolverine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had several winches in the past (warn, Viper, Gorilla) and have never had a circuit breaker with any of them. I recently purchased a Superwinch 3500 for a Grizzly and it came with a circuit breaker. I always put the red + wires from battery to contactor & contactor to the winch in Plastic flex conduit, so never have had any rubbing / short issues. Opinions on whether you use a circuit breaker in your winch setup. :confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I placed a large blade type fuse for a stereo amp in the positive cable. I have a 100 amp fuse in it but I am not sure that will hold up. What size breaker did your winch come with?

·
Super Moderator
2,050 Posts
I have had several winches in the past (warn, Viper, Gorilla) and have never had a circuit breaker with any of them. I recently purchased a Superwinch 3500 for a Grizzly and it came with a circuit breaker. I always put the red + wires from battery to contactor & contactor to the winch in Plastic flex conduit, so never have had any rubbing / short issues. Opinions on whether you use a circuit breaker in your winch setup. :confused:
It is never a bad idea to use circuit protection, especially when it is provided for you with the kit. If you have the room, I would absolutely install it. You must remember, the circuit breaker or fuse will not only provide short circuit protection, but if sized right, it will also provide overload protection. This is helpful if your winch motor is getting overheated and starts pulling more current. The best thing about the breaker, is that it is re-settable. usually, if the manufacturer has provided the breaker, it will be matched properly to the motor load curve of the winch. Breakers are generally classed in different "trip curves", depending on the motor or load being used. This is basically a set of constraints that identifies how many amps for what period of time the breaker will withstand before tripping out, and thus breaking the circuit. This is a "curve" though, not linear, so the current rating changes with time. Out of curiosity, what size did they include? Check the back of the device to see if it has a trip curve indicated.
Just my 2cents.

FTM

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
I have the same winch. Absolutely use the breaker. A little insurance never hurts.

I took the hood off and mounted mine to the main cross bar in front of the dash and I also mounted the contactor to the same bar

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
I want to swap out the fuse holder for a resettable breaker but I have not done the research on amperage yet. I have a 5000# Venom winch. I had the fuse holder laying around and thought it was better than nothing. I had a 40 amp fuse in it first time I used it pulling a car onto a trailer. I held the switch too long and popped it. I put a 80amp in and finished the job and since have bought a 100 amp. A breaker would be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I was in Home Depot recently and saw this Carlon Handy Box, Non-Metallic, 1 Gang, for $.88 and a solid cover plate for it for $.64. Can't beat the price, box and cover for $1.52. Thought that would be a perfect fit for the Winch Circuit Breaker. Used a drill and a Dremel to cut slots in the end for the wires and left all of the knock-outs in the box. Nice sturdy box, a lot more durable than the blue ones. Decided to just let it sit on top of the battery since the cable has to be disconnected anyway to remove the battery and then the circuit breaker box can be sat to the side out of the way. Box stays in place pretty well due to the cables.
4338.jpg 4339.jpg 4343.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts